Menu

name brand organics

Do you trust them? I mean, the organic version of Ragu Spaghetti sauce for example. Do you believe them when they say ORGANIC on the label, or are they just trying to sucker us in by making usbelieve it is organic. I have even wondered if they can fake the little USDA ORGANIC sticker on their label. Does anybody have a thought on this???

Well, this was the industry structure back in 2005. I'm sure it has gotten even more confused:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/orgjune05.pdf

I'm not a 100% organic consumer. I wish I could be but we just can't. Yesterday dh bought two chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) from a reputable locally owned grocery store. We normally buy whole chicken because they aren't as processed, but they were $21!!!!! Chicken was from a good source. Those two pieces of chicken were over $9. The prices have to come down for the majority of people to buy into this...

I believe that name brand organics follow the federal guidelines for being organic.

I don't trust the federal guidelines to meet my definition of organic.

I do often buy name brand organics, but not always.

ETA: My local farmers market doesn't have any organic certification, but most of the farmers there do produce organically or close to it. If I were a farmer, I wouldn't bother with the certification.

You need to check your area for local growers. I mean through farmer's markets word of mouth, not nec through eatwild.org. (Which is awesome, but wouldn't include people who know someone who knows someone).

I raise organic free range birds for eating and eggs. I don't raise a lot. I raise them for myself and some close friends and family. If I were to sell them to someone, it would cost $12-15 for a whole chubby chicken. Not cheap, but not as much as you paid here. I don't sell them, because I am not a chicken farmer...but if you ask at Farmer's Markets, you will very likely find someone who also doesn't sell organic chickens.

Well, this was the industry structure back in 2005. I'm sure it has gotten even more confused:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/orgjune05.pdf

I'm not a 100% organic consumer. I wish I could be but we just can't. Yesterday dh bought two chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) from a reputable locally owned grocery store. We normally buy whole chicken because they aren't as processed, but they were $21!!!!! Chicken was from a good source. Those two pieces of chicken were over $9. The prices have to come down for the majority of people to buy into this...

Exactly why I support Lundberg Family Farms/ rice. Lundberg is a quintessential American product by quintessential American heartland growers who have cared for their land for generations. Not every one of their products is 100% organic, but they are all about caring for their land.

We buy a decent amount of organic. While I believe that 'name brand' organics do meet USDA guidelines, I try to avoid them as much as I can. I'd just rather support companies who have, for years, strived to bring wholesome, whole foods to the market.

If they have the USDA Organic logo on the packaging, they have to have gone through the process to certify their food as organic. "Faking" the logo is illegal. However, from what I've been reading recently, the process basically involves paying a large fee and promising that your food is organic.

Certain companies that do the certification are better than others, too. I've heard that Oregon Tilth is pretty good about making sure that food is actually organic, but I don't know if that's still true. It's so hard to know these days what you're actually getting. Even with local farmers, I'm sure most of them are honest, but you really have no way of knowing which chemicals they've used to grow their food. If I owned my own land, I would just grow food for my family.

One of the things that bothers me about big brand name guys is that they already have importers for their ingredients. There is nothing to say that some of the organic ingredients that make up the product isn't imported from some place like China under thier own "organic" standards, but processed and labeled here. When the product is surprisingly less expensive than the other organics, I seriously question it. On the other hand, a lot of reputable companies are trying to get on the bandwagon and thus trying very hard to get it right. Just like with generic brands, they will buy from a reputable organic grower and put thier name on the product (such as carrots, potatoes, etc). I usually stick my old stand-bys though until I can research a little. In addition to the ones already listed, Annies, Goodness Greeness, Earthbound Farms, Muir Glen, etc.

You need to check your area for local growers. I mean through farmer's markets word of mouth, not nec through eatwild.org. (Which is awesome, but wouldn't include people who know someone who knows someone).

I agree. BBB, check locally for farms that raise animals for meat. $21 for two chicken breasts is obscene.