Menu

Dr. Hive: infected ear peircing in DD6?

Oh, why do these things always happen on Fridays? The hardest day to get into the Base Clinic?

DD6 has had pierced ears for 1.5 years, and has never had a problem before. Last night, she complained that the area around her earring hurt, so I took the earring out. (She normally sleeps with earrings in...I clean them periodically but not every day :glare:).

This morning, she woke up with a pretty sore ear lobe. A bit of liquid, yellow pus (sorry, grossest word there is) came out. The lobe is red and slightly swollen, but localized to about 1/4" around the hole. I used a sterilized gold stud to get the piercing care cleaning solution (from Claire's Boutique - says it contains Benzalkonium Chloride, 0.12%) into the hole by pumping it a few times while slathering the area with the fluid-soaked cotton ball. I will continue to do this often today.

Right now she is not wearing an earring. She complains periodically (but she has a really low pain tolerance threshold), but is coloring, etc. She isn't lethargic, has no fever, there's no red streaking from the site.

I remember this happening to me periodically, and I was never taken to the doctor. Am I doing enough?

ETA: Nice misspelling in the thread title... :(-

The only exception is that I would leave the gold earring in...

My older girls have had their ears pierced for years... this happens on occasion... usually lasts a few days. If the amount of 'pus' increases or starts to smell bad then I'd consider taking her in for a stronger topical anti-biotic.

My daughter had this happen to her a year after her ears pierced, despite always wearing good quality earrings and cleaning them frequently. If there's pus present, I'd take her in. My daughter's became very swollen and needed two rounds of antibiotics before it was totally clear. They also cultured it for MRSA because they'd been seeing it in pediatric cases.

If you want to save the piercing, you should put the earring back in because it will start to crust over right away. Use antibiotic ointment to lubricate it.