Menu

What is your 3rd grade list for assigned reading?

Legomom

I get the feeling that many here do not strictly follow the recommended reading lists in WTM and I would love to know specifically what books everyone is using. For 1st and 2nd I followed WTM closely for the assigned reading aspect of the curriculum, along with some of the books recommended in the SOTW activity guide.

This year I am skipping some of the abridged versions and adding in some Ambleside recommendations. I would love to know what others are using.

I am laughing at myself for posting a response, because I have yet to figure out a reading progression that I'm happy with. I use a lot of AO read alouds, but I have yet to have a 3rd grader who was ready to read AO books alone at that age. For my oldest ds, 4th and 5th grade were the grades I could assign AO books without worrying about difficulty.

My second ds will be 3rd grade in the fall and we will use a lot of AO year 2 as we plan to cover Middle Ages. We will do the AO readings aloud. For his assigned reading, I stumbled on my great uncle's Elson Reader from 1920. We love it! It is very CM friendly, imho. In Book 2 there have been poems by Robert Louis Stevenson and Christina G. Rosetti, stories about animals and birds, Aesop Fables, folk tales from various countries, fairy tales, etc. So, I'm planning to continue with Elson and use Book 3 with him next year. He reads these aloud to me. We have been lax about requiring additional "free" reading time, but I hope to add this in again soon. I'm not sure what selection I'll give him, but with his older brother I would just keep books around his reading level on one shelf and tell him he could choose whatever he wanted - requiring a certain number of minutes each day.

Sorry that got long. HTH.

We will be doing SOTW 3 next year, so most of her assigned reading coordinates with those topics. I plan to use books that are in WTM, books that are already on my shelf and some Sonlight books. My dd loves to read, so it looks like alot, but we shall see. Here's our list...

1.Don Quixote (abridged version)

2.Pochohantus & the Strangers

3.Adventures of Tom Sawyer (abridged version)

4.A Lion to Guard Us

5.Mary of Plymouth (free at google books)

6.Naya Nuki

7.Chinese Myths and Fables (selected ones)

8.The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

9.Marie Curie’s Search for Radium (part of Elemental Science’s plans)

10.The Three Musketeer’s (abridged version)

11.Stone Fox

12.Jane Austen (english reader that I purchased here)

13.Phoebe the Spy

14.Mr. Revere and I

15.Abigail Adams: A Girl…

16.Ben & Me

17.Meet George Washington

18.The Cabin faced West

19.The Story of Daniel Boone

20.Robert Fulton

21.Hunchback of Notre Dame (abridged version)

22.Napoleon (english reader that I purchased here)

23.Oliver Twist (abridged version)

24.The Courage of Sarah Noble

25.Sarah Plain and Tall

26.Simon Bolivar: The Liberator

27.Pirate Diary: The Journal of Jack Carpenter

28.Sacagawea: Her True Story

29.The Year of the Panda

30.Sitting Bull: Great Sioux Chief

31.By the Great Horn Spoon

32.Secret Valley

Hope that helps!

We don't follow the WTM recommendations for reading. I do pick a book or two to go along with history, but doing all history related reading doesn't work for us. Here is most of my third grade list (from what I remember).

Enchanted Castle

House of Arden

Alice in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass

Roman Mysteries 3-6

You wouldn't want to be Mary Queen of Scots

Queen without a Country (another Mary Queen of Scots book)

Taming of the Shrew - two versions so far

Little Women (on chapter 40)

Mr. Revere and I

Om-Kas_toe

Sea of Trolls

Take Me Back

Open Me Up

Pink Fairy book

a couple of books on Lewis and Clark to go with a trip to the Northwest

ummmm there are a bunch of science books and Peter Pan, The Midnight Folk, another Mary Queen of Scots book are in the queue.

hth