Menu

SOTW question

quick question....

this is what we have been doing so far as teaching SOTW...

day 1: listen to the audio and talk about what is read using the questions as guidance. Hannah (9) and Nathan (5) color and Matthew just listens...he doesn't like to color...and then later he does the map while the other's look on.

day 2-3: one or two of the activities in TE....

and that is it. Should we be doing more? I don't know how much of the information the kids are retaining...and we really don't do much more mainly due to lack of time. Do you think I should be trying to squeeze in more???

For children that age, I don't know that you need to do more. I know my younger children enjoy reading the books I get from the library on each chapter we study. We usually spend at least an hour reading other books about our period/place in history.

I also have mine find the country on a wall map and globe. It gives them an idea of "where in the world" the story took place.

For children that age, I don't know that you need to do more. I know my younger children enjoy reading the books I get from the library on each chapter we study. We usually spend at least an hour reading other books about our period/place in history.

I also have mine find the country on a wall map and globe. It gives them an idea of "where in the world" the story took place.

the map thing is good...we have a globe..duh...that would make too much sense to ACTUALLY use it?????

Sounds good to me. I cover a chapter a week with my 6yo. It takes 2-3 days. We do the map work, find the location on our wall map, he completes the coloring sheet while I read aloud, and we may or may not do an activity. I try to get a few library books as well.

ETA: We also do narration, either written or oral, once a week for history.

Here's what I do:

Read just a section a day. Some weeks have 1 section, other weeks are up to 3 sections. But I only read a section, not the entire chapter, a day. We do the narratives and review questions for the section we read. So, we read every Mon, some Tuesdays and some Wednesdays, depending on the # of sections in the chapter.

Find out which activity applies to that section. Sometimes it's the map, sometimes it's the coloring sheet, sometimes it's something else.

We match up the section to the activity and do it the same day we read it.

If I feel like it, I'll check out related books from the library and read those throughout the week.

On Friday, I re-read the entire chapter. If I don't re-read it at the end of the week, it doesn't cement the info in their heads.