Menu

Has anyone tried Chantix or know of someone who did to quit smoking?

My dh quit smoking over 5 years ago, but still hasn't managed to wean himself off of Nicorette. I prefer Nicorette to smoking, but it's supposed to be a temporary crutch, not something that you keep doing for years and years.

My dh has tried cold turkey, hypnotism, the patch, and Nicorette in the past. Nicorette worked the best for him, but if he stopped taking Nicorette, he started smoking again. Now he just stays on it.

My dh quit a year ago using this method. He smoked for close to 30 yrs. and had tried all of the other things like the patch, gum. Worked great for him with little side effects. The second month he did have a little gas.

My dad quit using this method. He is now 5 years smoke-free. He had been a smoker for 40 years. No side effects to report. He did gain a little weight in the beginning.

SIL has used it and is now going on 6 months smoke free.

All had a shortness of breath for a short period of time. Doesn't last long.

All have discovered food taste different or has an actually taste.

They all used a transition item during the first month at least. DH used hard candy, dad used peppermints and SIl used licorce sticks.

The third month dh did have a vivid dream where he thought he was smoking and woke scared he had started again. User dreams of a sort.

If you really want to stop for the right reasons this is a good method for alot of people.

Me, me, me! My quit day was Dec 27. I've been tobacco free for almost two months.

I smoked for the first week, and by the end of the second week I was ready. I told dh to quit buying them. When I ran out I was done.

Dh used my leftovers and has quit Copenhagen. I took him closer to 4 weeks to quit.

ETA: I wanted healthier stuff for the hand to mouth thing instead of candy. I kept a big container of salad in the fridge. When the urge to put something in my mouth hit hardest (usually after dinner) I ate salad. I haven't had any in about a month now.

Edited by Parrothead

OH THANK YOU!! I feel like I am not alone then. I really want to get off these things. I have been a smoker now for about 23 years now. And I quit when I was pregnant, but went right back to them.

It is amazing what these things can do to you to get you hooked.

Sounds simple...JUST QUIT. If only it was that easy:confused:

I am going to ask my Dr about the Chantix then.

:D

http://tobaccodocuments.org/landman/501877121-7129.html A scary and tragic piece of evidence regarding the manner in whcich nicotine literally hijacks your brain. From one of the lawsuits against RJ REYNOLDS. This was hidden from the public for many years. The document is from 1972 they knew and kept pushing the poison for their profit. Chantix?? Go for it . I think any method you use to quit is worth it. Now of course we are all well aware of the addictive nature of nicotine but for so many years they lied and told us it was a nasty habit that could be fought with willpower alone. I hope there is a special place in h***for these monsters.

My mom used it 3 years ago to quit smoking. She'd been a smoker for 55 years and she said Chantix made is easy for her to give them up.

I noticed that when she came out to visit in November, she smelled like smoke. She admitted that she started again because she missed it.

I quit cold turkey 11 years ago - throwing up at the smell of cigarette smoke kept me from lighting up again. I had some intense cravings and some weird dreams for several months, but by the time my daughter was born I had no desire to take up the habit again.

ME!!! I'm using it right now! I decided to try it after reading about Chucki's success (Parrothead). :) I've tried all the other methods, gum, patches, mints, etc. Nothing ever even came close to helping me.

I took the whole first month pack, cut down to 2-3 a day around week 3 and quit completely week 4. I've been smoke-free for one week!! It's been much easier than I thought it would be, but still not a walk in the park.

My dh started the same time I did, but he's not doing as well as I am. He went out of town and actually forgot to take them at all for what should have been his week 3! He's still smoking, I'm guessing, about 5-6 a day. I hope its not more. He's trying to hide it from me, so it doesn't hinder me. But, I know he's doing it when he's doing it, and I haven't even wanted to. That's amazing for me!

Neither of us have had any adverse side effects at all. Do have some vivid dreams, but nothing to crazy.

These pills have been a blessing for me. I never thought I would ever be able to quit smoking even though I wanted to so much.

I say go for it! Can't hurt to try! Do tell people close to you when you start so they can watch for any unusual behavior.

Kim

I used it a couple of years ago, but it gave me such raging headaches that I couldn't complete the prescription. I was very anxious, and highly stressed out on Chantix. It was not a good experience for me. However, my FIL is using it, and has had great success with it. He was a 40-year smoker.

On August 17, 2009, I bought the patch. I used it for two weeks (at the highest dosage), then quit the patch. I have been smoke-free ever since.