Menu

Abeka Arithmetic... switching?

Lovedtodeath

You could do some of the things Ruth Beechik suggests in her 3 R's book, or the next one (I think its called You Can Teach Your Child) to practice the basic arithmetic concepts and just play math games for a while. I believe she states you don't even need a curriculum for K-3 or K-2. Cathy Duffy has some similar thoughts in her curriculum review books.

I just spent an hour or so looking over Abeka 2 yesterday, comparing it to BJU because I'm wondering what to do for 2nd grade. It seems very methodical and thorough on traditional arithmetic. If you don't think its the curriculum & she's upset about changing, I wouldn't. Supplementing the things that she's struggling with in fun ways might be a better approach for her. I was impressed with all the different ideas, games, etc. Abeka had in their TM; if you haven't exploited everything they include, I'd try that too before changing.

How far are you in A Beka 1?

What are the areas she is struggling in? Is it conceptual or more application of the concept?

I saw you were supplementing. Is that to try to help with these things?

My dd#2 struggled with understanding two-digit numbers all last year and the beginning of this year. She is one of those kids who does a LOT of reversals. (For example, not only does she reverse her 2, 3, 6, 7, & 9s, she also sometimes confuses the tens & the ones places (17/71, 36/69, 52/25, etc.). We have continued to chug along and practice/ practice/ practice. While I bang my head against the wall about some of the newer concepts she's working on, she almost never reverses the numbers anymore. :hurray: (We are right around lesson 100 in A Beka 1.)

My older dd grasps the concepts just fine, she just has trouble with application of them. She'll do division fine, but make one little mistake during the "checking" step and think she has to start all over again. She's like her mom in that she _thinks_ she did something right, but upon looking back at it finds out she didn't write down what she thought she wrote down. (Thinks a 5 and writes a 3 because her eyes have zoomed onto the next problem and it starts with a 3.)

Good luck!

Thank you for asking questions. I wasn't sure what to say. We only have a couple of weeks left in one. I don't think it is the curriculum because she struggled with MUS as well. The supplementing is the place value unit and the clocks unit. It seems to be working, but I am wondering if I should just switch to MM since it seems to work. She is very resistant when I pull it out but after only one or two problems she says it is too easy (which means more resistance, lol, but at least she is getting it.)