Menu

Curious, How did you make a model of an Atom?

daisychics

We did this every year when I taught public school. We used wire craft hoops (orbitals) with pony beads (electrons). We used fishing line to connect the orbitals together and connect to a nucleus made of two different colors of pony beads sewn together in one glob (protons and neutrons). The hoops turn around 360 degrees and the pony beads electrons can circle in their own orbitals.

You could probably use wire coat hangers instead but the circles would be less even.

The hoops were found at michaels near the sewing supplies. They aren't sewing hoops, but I don't remember exactly what they're called.

We did this in REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry. We used miniature white marshmallows for electrons and two colors of large marshmallows for protons and neutrons. We got strawberry (pink) marshmallows at Target. We did the first 10 atoms on the periodic table on sheets of paper laid out on the table.

We did this in REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry. We used miniature white marshmallows for electrons and two colors of large marshmallows for protons and neutrons. We got strawberry (pink) marshmallows at Target. We did the first 10 atoms on the periodic table on sheets of paper laid out on the table.

I like that you did the first 10 atoms. I think we'll do that for practice. Thx.

Do you have a Michael's craft store near by? Our Sunday ad this week advertises a free session next Saturday to build molecules with some kit. Wait, I found the flyer:

Free Family Event

Science Fair Make-It Take-It

Sat Feb 27 10am-1pm

Fun Free Make-It Take-It Molecule project. Kids will use the periodic table to create 3D molecule models using Crayola Model Magic.

We had weird-looking atoms with the nucleus made of magnets and steel balls so that my daughter would get an idea of the magnetic force holding the center together. For electrons we used toy cars pushed in circles.

Do you have a Michael's craft store near by? Our Sunday ad this week advertises a free session next Saturday to build molecules with some kit. Wait, I found the flyer:

Free Family Event

Science Fair Make-It Take-It

Sat Feb 27 10am-1pm

Fun Free Make-It Take-It Molecule project. Kids will use the periodic table to create 3D molecule models using Crayola Model Magic.

WOW! I just called the Michael's near us. We're gonna be there 10am sharp. Thank you for letting us know about this.