Menu

Future of Local Homeschooling Group in the 21st Century

Guest mrs. logic

I am already seeing people not joining support groups, but allowing the members of their dc's academic, sports, or arts program to serve as a support group. I see my son's homeschool basketball team filling the role of support group for many families. I see the same thing with academic co-ops and organizations like Classical Conversations.

These groups often branch out and have curriculum share nights, field trips, standardized testing, etc. to meet the needs of members.

Leanna

I would predict that groups will continue to break apart into more-and-more "us vs. them" special population sub-groups of homeschoolers which exclude homeschoolers who differ from them. Religions do this, and I see similarities.

I can see this but I also see more choices for parents on where to find support. This in turn will cause more sub-groups to form as parents will probably be looking for a specific something. That something will be different for everyone.

I would predict that groups will continue to break apart into more-and-more "us vs. them" special population sub-groups of homeschoolers which exclude homeschoolers who differ from them. Religions do this, and I see similarities.

The inclusive, non-faith statement requiring, group that I participate in has only been around for about a year and a half. The groups in my city that have been here the longest are faith-based and require signing statements of faith. I was a member of one of them and was fine with signing the statement they required, but I didn't much care for all of the committee meetings and extreme structure of the group. I'm glad I had a less-structured option available to me.

Other new additions to my city are homeschool choir (been around for several years, but growing rapidly), homeschool orchestra, art classes geared towards homeschoolers, Classical Conversations, homeschool gymnastics and swimming offered by local swim and gymnastics schools, etc., etc., etc..... One could argue that these types of homeschool organizations are the ones that allow you to focus on homeschool issues that you have in common, where traditional homeschool groups have often been VERY exclusive to Christians.

Square peg people no longer have to force themselves to fit in the round hole offered by only 1 or 2 organizations.

Edited by snickelfritz

This weeks question is "What is the future of the local homeschool group in the 21st Century?"

I think that you will have fewer do-it-all groups that provide social events, spelling bees, debate, music groups, field trips and group classes.

But I think that at the same time you will see more specialized groups thrive. The people with a passion for debate or robotics or homeschool science labs or writing groups will offer this. Many of the members of various groups will overlap.

I think that there may be large umbrella groups that help coordinate getting people hooked up with various specialized offerings. Email lists will be a big part of this.

For example in Hawaii there were several geographically, church or military base oriented support groups. These tended to focus on K8. There was also a large teen group. They did fewer events under their own banner but did have many members who were coaching or teaching specific activities. When they started on, info would get forwarded out through various lists. There was also at least one state organization. The one I was familiar with did a used curriculum sale and a large conference. But they left all the smaller activities to more focused groups.

Honestly some of the best support that I got was from the other homeschooling moms at our homeschooling tae kwon do classes. We saw each other for a couple hours a week and new each other well. We had an incredible cross section of novice and experienced homeschoolers using a wide variety of curriculum and philosophies. I helped one mom with her essays for college classes she was taking and gave books to others. There were even field trips coordinated by some of these families. How is this group less of a support group just because there were no officers, dues or bylaws?