Menu

What curriculum is considered unscripted?

treestarfae

I just don't use the scripts. So it doesn't matter to me if the curriculum is scripted or not. So any curriculum can be unscripted. But you may have to alter it.

ex: Rod and Staff Grammar has a partially scripted teaching section in the TM. I skip it. It's good enough for DD to read the lesson on her own.

I think ALL curricula to some degree HAS to be scripted. Especially for the homeschool market because many of us are not licensed teachers;) Even PS texts have a scripted TM, the new grads. going into teaching like the help, I'm sure.

With that said, it's easy enough to glance over what is scripted , take what you want from it and go in. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a non-scripted curriculum. They definitely have varying degrees how scripted they are. I love SE but, that is truly scripted, if I have not had time to glance over it, I know on the fly I can just read the script. Usually, I just take from the script what I want to teach them and move on. CLE on the other hand is VERY lightly scripted. I like it, it's quick but not much support if that;s what your looking for.

"Scripted" curriculum specifies actual sentences for the teacher to repeat to the student, and/or actual repetitions for the student to speak in return. Some parents like the support provided by this method. Others find it artificial and stultifying. (I'm with the latter group.)

A teacher manual containing directions for what to cover in the lesson, and what to highlight is NOT "scripted", unless it does what I describe in the preceding paragraph.

Guest Cindie2dds

I can only tell you the ones I've tried for the early years were less scripted. I don't like reading instructions from a book. It's awkward and unnatural for both of us.

Miquon Math (technically for grades 1-3, but it depends on the individual child)

This is designed for the child to figure out on their own. I'm standing right there if she has any questions, but I don't tell her what to do.

Ambleside Online: Not scripted at all, but there is a guide suggesting what to read during each week if you want to for Year 1 and up.

Simply Charlotte Mason: Not scripted either. She has a guide for most History modules, you don't need them, though.

Pathway Readers: I just got the books and my dd reads them. I let her play www.starfall.com for phonics.

Some of the other things I use are a little more scripted, but nothing has instructions. I didn't teach well from a guide that said "turn to this page in this book, then do this." We would much rather explore the book on our own.

"Scripted" curriculum specifies actual sentences for the teacher to repeat to the student, and/or actual repetitions for the student to speak in return. Some parents like the support provided by this method. Others find it artificial and stultifying. (I'm with the latter group.)

:iagree: I think this is what people are referring to when they say they dislike scripted materials. I don't mind being given a teaching example or a guide in the teacher's manual...but when every lesson is presented in this format it felt, as quoted above, "artificial and stultifying" for me as well. However, the materials that I had this problem with are definitely effective, well-loved materials for many families. Different strokes...

A teacher manual containing directions for what to cover in the lesson, and what to highlight is NOT "scripted", unless it does what I describe in the preceding paragraph.

Exactly. "Scripted" is a specific term with a specific meaning. I think some people are confusing this term. There are very few actual scripted curriculum available or commonly used by homeschoolers.

Public schools have had success with scripted curriculum, and the NEA is fighting hard to keep it out of schools. This is an interesting educational hot topic if anyone is into that sort of thing. :001_smile:

There are programs like Right Start that tell you exactly what to show the child and do for each part of the lesson (scripted, even though they don't give you specific text to read) and other like Singapore where you're given a few problems and left to figure out what to do (unless you already know math or have the HIG). Right Start may not give you specific words to say but it doesn't give you a worksheet to hand the child either; everything done requires direct interaction with the instructor rather than independent learning on the part of the child.