Menu

H1N1 vaccine side effect question...

Has anyone heard about hair loss as a side-effect of the vaccine? A friend's son got the vaccine (I forgot to ask how he got it, whether it was the spray or a shot, but he's 3, so I believe it must've been the spray). The next day she noticed some of his hair seemed wierdly short. A few days later a clump of his hair fell out. Now, I know the vaccine could very well have nothing to do with this, but I was wondering if this was one of the "known" side-effects.

Any thoughts? Her poor little guy's hair is breaking off and falling out. She's taking him back to the doctor's this week, but the doctor seems very... unconcerned.

Hmm...that is odd. I wonder if maybe he has something else going on and this is just a coincidence? I didn't take the shot, nor did my kids, but most of thr reactions I have heard and read about are things more along the "allergic reaction" symptoms line.

I hope they find the cause!

I know, she's a very nice lady and her poor little boy has patches now :(

She's convinced it was the vaccine, the doctor seems convinced it's nothing, and I really wish I had some definitive answer (like, the h1n1 vaccine would NOT cause this problem, SO START LOOKING ELSEWHERE ALREADY!).

It might just be a coincidence. My DD had alopecia areata? That started around that age. Clumps of hair just fell out, leaving her with big bald patches in an otherwise full head of hair. We got creative with hairstyles. It really bothered her when she hit teenage years, but it's the kind of thing you eventually out grow.

There is another form, alopecia universalis, where all the hair on your body falls out at the same time. It may grow back in, only to fall out again. This type is not usually outgrown. I'm sure there are lots of other skin/hair conditions that might explain it as well. I'd ask for a derm. referral if your friend hasn't already.

It isn't a common side effect of vaccines, but it's possible that it's related. Here's an abstract of the only article I could find:

JAMA. 1997 Oct 8;278(14):1176-8.

Hair loss after routine immunizations.

Wise RP, Kiminyo KP, Salive ME.

Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Md 20852-1448, USA. wise@a1.cber.fda.gov

Comment in:

CONTEXT: Alopecia is a recognized adverse effect of numerous medications, but vaccines are not normally considered a cause for unexpected loss of hair. OBJECTIVE: To describe case reports of hair loss after routine vaccines and to assess the hypothesis that vaccinations might induce hair loss. DESIGN: Case series with telephone follow-up. METHODS: Review of spontaneous reports to the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Loss of hair following immunization. RESULTS: A total of 60 evaluable reports submitted since 1984 and coded for "alopecia" after immunizations included 16 with positive rechallenge (hair loss after vaccination on more than 1 occasion), 4 of which were definite and 12 possible or probable. Of the 60 cases, 46 had received hepatitis B vaccines. Both of the currently available recombinant products, as well as the former plasma-derived product, were represented. Females predominated in all age groups. The majority of patients recovered, but clinical features, such as intervals from vaccination until onset and the extent and reversibility of hair loss, varied widely. Nine patients reported previous medication allergy. CONCLUSION: There may be an association, probably very rare, between vaccinations and hair loss. More than 1 pathophysiologic mechanism may be responsible. Since apparently nonrandom distributions by vaccine, age, and sex could reflect biased case ascertainment, further research will be needed in defined populations with consistent case detection.

It's also possible that it's totally unrelated, and just coincidental, as alopecia does occur spontaneously. I haven't heard about any other cases related to the H1N1 vaccine.

Is he seeing a dermatologist?

It isn't a common side effect of vaccines, but it's possible that it's related. Here's an abstract of the only article I could find:

It's also possible that it's totally unrelated, and just coincidental, as alopecia does occur spontaneously. I haven't heard about any other cases related to the H1N1 vaccine.

Is he seeing a dermatologist?

Thank you Perry! No, he's not seeing a dermatologist, but I'm calling his mom RIGHT NOW to recommend it. I'm also going to copy/paste your response into an email for her to share with her pediatrician. I was really hoping this was a no, she worries enough without thinking it's her "fault" this is happening.

Thank you again, this is supremely helpful.

He needs to see a dermatologist for the hair loss. A regular doctor may or may not be familiar with alopecia. A dermatologist can determine what type of alopecia he has. I developed alopecia areata when I was pregnant with my third child. There is treatment. Mine involved steroid shots in the affected areas (ouch) and a cream. There are also other treatments. My case responded to low dose steroids and has not returned.