Menu

Knee Surgery and Disney Orlando Info needed Pleeeez!

cin

I'm having orthroscopic kneee surgery on March 5th. I have a small tear in the meniscus and in a ligament behind my knee. We leave for Disney 8 wks later. the doctor assured me that I'd be fine. But, for some reason, only 8 wks makes me just a little nervous. Anybody have orthroscopic surgery and live to tell? :tongue_smilie:

Now, my questions about Orlando/Disney. I knwo I can rent wheelchairs and scooters but it is 1st come 1st serve. Anybody know, off hand, if there is a health supply store where I can rent a scooter, near Disney? We're also wondering if there is a Whole Foods near Disney. I'd prefer not to have to take a suitcase full of food.

TIA!

I had both of my knees done at the same time when I was 26 years old. I do remember my recovery was pretty quick, but I would recommend some help. Disney does have a lot of wheel chairs, but every once in a great while the will run out. I am not sure how bad you knee is, but have you considered one of those walkers on wheels. They usually have a little seat where you can rest.

Whole Foods is in FL. I know they have stores in Miami. I found them by going to their website. You can even call you local store for the information.

Can't help you on the wheelchair issue, but there is a Whole Foods on Turkey Lake Road in Orlando, just off I-4. It's at the Sand Lake exit, just south of Universal. So not exactly next door to Disney, but probably a 15 - 20 minute drive away.

Have a great trip (hard not to at Disney, after all!)

I'm having orthroscopic kneee surgery on March 5th. I have a small tear in the meniscus and in a ligament behind my knee. We leave for Disney 8 wks later. the doctor assured me that I'd be fine. But, for some reason, only 8 wks makes me just a little nervous. Anybody have orthroscopic surgery and live to tell? :tongue_smilie:

Do you have a physical therapist friend or can you have your doc refer you for PT now?

I had orthroscopic knee surgery 2 years ago for a torn meniscus. My doc told me I didn't need PT and that I should just do some leg lifts (starting the day after surgery) and start walking immediately. :lol: he told me I would walk out of the out-patient place which I did not. I was walking without crutches after a week and walking several miles within a few weeks. The problem I ran into and why I recommend starting PT right away is that my knee locked and I could not bend it beyond 30 degrees. After 2-1/2 months and a visit to my regular doc I began PT. My regular doc and my PT were surprised / upset that I did not start PT right after surgery. While I had been able to walk I didn't have the proper post-surgery exercises so my mobility and strength decreased a lot. 12 weeks of intense PT brought it back.

Others I have met started PT right after surgery and recovered really quickly.

Carole

I will be starting PT 3 days after surgery. And probably will be going 3X wk for a while. We're dropping speech therapy for dd5, because we already have too much stuff on our table. Violin lessons stop at the end of this month (the teacher is quitting to be at home with her teen age daughter). So that helps.

I never thought of one of those walkers on wheels. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the Whole Foods address. It definitely beats packing a suitcase full of food. Between DH's MSG allergy and DD red & yellow issues, Whole Foods is where we get most of our snack foods.

We went to Disney last February after I had been in a bad car accident. There was no way my back could handle the amount of walking that is required.

We rented an off site electric scooter. I don't have the website, but Google scooters for Disney and you will get a lot of hits.

The company we used delivered the scooter to us within an hour of our arrival. We stayed on site and each bus has a special place for the scooters to go. You actually load first and get off last.

It was the most wonderful trip we had!!! Not too much back pain for me and due to the letter we had from my doctor, we got a special pass that allowed us to use the handicap line for all the rides (thus much less waiting and walking).

Just arrange for delivery/pickup before you get to Disney and you will have a blast!

If you make dinning reservations at any of the Disney restaurants, make sure to tell them about your food allergies AHEAD of time. They are extremely accomidating to the point of making mini-menus just for you. (The chef made up a completely diabetic menu for a relative of ours and gluten-free menus for others too.)

You can call 407-WDW-DINE to make all your dining reservations and they will make sure to pass the allergy info to all your reserved restaurants.

Also, check out allears.net this site has tons of info on food allergies and eating at Disney.

I LOVE DISNEY! :lol: