Menu

HOW did I miss this?

Blue Hen

I thought I was on top of things. I remember reading through all the financial aid websites for the colleges DS applied to, noted FAFSA deadline dates and did not catch that any of them required CSS. I was even patting myself on the back for having filed our FAFSA by Jan 12th.

Today we returned home and DS let me know he had an email from a school he is highly interested in wanting to know where his CSS was. :eek: WHAT!!! I went through the 9 schools DS applied to and found that 3 require the CSS. Their deadline date was Feb 1st.

Did I really mess things up? I am kicking myself for missing this. At least the local university doesn't require the CSS.....

Should I just :chillpill:

Carole

Oh, honey, you have my sympathy.

One of my good friends missed a February 1 deadline for the FAFSA at two schools to which her son was applying. She could have sworn that she had until February 15. For one school, she had the CSS Profile in--so they said her son's application was being processed with one of the two financial statements in. For the other, she found the February 1 date had some elastic.

The Profile is convoluted when compared to the FAFSA--but you already have much of the data gathered.

Good luck.

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

brainwave malfunction tonight....what is CSS?

It is the most horrendous and invasive financial statement one could imagine. Devised by the College Board to consume even more of your hard earned dollars.

Some colleges require it in addition to the FAFSA.

More info here.

ETA--Sorry Carole, I don't mean to scare you. But the Profile is just not as straight forward as the FAFSA in that you have to project future earnings, tally retirement, etc.

Edited by Jane in NC

The CSS if filed along with the FAFSA. I had filed the FAFSA in early Jan with estimates and finalized it tonight. The two schools that reminded us to file the CSS have each received an email from me. The schools notify about actual financial aid in late March.

Thanks everyone!

Carole