Menu

Dd bombed the Singapore test!

In the Rain

We are halfway through 2B and I gave her the 2A test. For whatever reason, she missed a shocking number of problems. Most of the errors seem to be due to not following the directions or just not thinking. Some of them are just bizarre- a 2ft caterpillar! :001_huh:

It doesn't seem like repeating the book would be helpful. Her calculations were fine. What do I do?

Any advice?

Erm, that is why I switched programs. My son's retention was very poor with Singapore.

If her math is fine and it's a matter of following directions, then I would re-do the test (or use one of the Practice summaries at the end of 2A). Maybe your dd was having an "off" day and would do better on a second try. If she bombed it again, then I would work in more review either with Singapore's supplements, or another program.

Or you could jump ship and join those of us on the CLE math cruise ;)

We are halfway through 2B and I gave her the 2A test. For whatever reason, she missed a shocking number of problems. Most of the errors seem to be due to not following the directions or just not thinking. Some of them are just bizarre- a 2ft caterpillar! :001_huh:

It doesn't seem like repeating the book would be helpful. Her calculations were fine. What do I do?

Any advice?

Do you normally do any of the EP or IP books? Basically I would just move on, but we do two programs (RS and Singapore) and all the IP books. I know eventually they will learn it, like it or not. :smilielol5:

Though I also do go back over all missed problems with my kiddo's, so they know why they got them wrong, and we correct them. If they totally misread the instructions I would be very inclined to have them read them aloud to me, and have them re-do the problem while I am sitting there.

Some of that is just childishness, if it continues to be a problem, then I would worry. It could have just been a bad day this one time.

Heather

Do you normally do any of the EP or IP books? Basically I would just move on, but we do two programs (RS and Singapore) and all the IP books. I know eventually they will learn it, like it or not. :smilielol5:

Though I also do go back over all missed problems with my kiddo's, so they know why they got them wrong, and we correct them. If they totally misread the instructions I would be very inclined to have them read them aloud to me, and have them re-do the problem while I am sitting there.

Some of that is just childishness, if it continues to be a problem, then I would worry. It could have just been a bad day this one time.

Heather

:iagree:

Thanks for the thoughts.

It probably is just childishness. I don't think changing programs is really the answer. I guess I need to work with her more on attention to detail, and following directions. When she read the problems aloud, she could see that she had done them wrong.

Example: Complete the pattern 532, 522, 512, _, _, _,

She rearranged the first 3 numbers in order from smallest to largest on the blanks. It isn't that she can't complete the pattern, she just didn't bother to read the directions. :tongue_smilie:

I do have an IP book, maybe I'll pull it out. I've never bothered with it, because she doesn't struggle with the concepts being taught.

Thanks again

...so I always did the Challenging Word problems book from a level lower than the text and workbook. The problems were challenging enough, but covered review concepts.

I've heard CWP aren't available any more? So you could do the IP or EP, or whatever the supplements are called, but not concurrently with the text/workbooks. You could wait a week and then do the odd problems from the section studied the previous week. You could finish the supplement book doing only the odd problems first, and then go back through and do the even problems months later.

It probably is just childishness. I don't think changing programs is really the answer. I guess I need to work with her more on attention to detail, and following directions. When she read the problems aloud, she could see that she had done them wrong.

:iagree:I now have kiddo read the instructions aloud, and if they are at all complex, I might make a sketch of an example. Kiddo is mathy, and remembers the math, but my goal is for him to be able to comprehend instructions that aren't basic. It is one of the reasons I use Singapore.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Example: Complete the pattern 532, 522, 512, _, _, _,

She rearranged the first 3 numbers in order from smallest to largest on the blanks. It isn't that she can't complete the pattern, she just didn't bother to read the directions. :tongue_smilie:

I do have an IP book, maybe I'll pull it out. I've never bothered with it, because she doesn't struggle with the concepts being taught.

Thanks again

The IP books take the concepts learned and apply them in a more challenging way, so it is review, but not busy work. Make sense?

Heather

Don't know if it's the best way, but with math being the most important subject... to me... I sit through all of math with my daughter... correcting as we go. She's in 6th... and I see doing this for a while longer... It's not good for her to miss 3 or 4 and then find out about it later.... and I have her do extra work from other Singapore books on top. She complains... but that's ok... hopefully she'll either laugh about it when she's older.. or the other option is to agree not to dwell on it with me. My job is just to make sure she learns it... :-)