Menu

pencil grip

greenmamato3

please tell me how much emphasis is necessary on pencil grip being between the pointer and tall man. my DC get it genetically from me to hold between tall man and ring finger. hmmmmm ..... i can't really correct the 1st grader's writing at this point, but i think i could still win over the Pre-K/K'er level girl in our home ;) is it going to matter down the road??

When ds was first learning to write, we used The Claw pencil grip. I got a couple at Meijer for maybe $3. He loved it, and it really helped him to use the proper grip. After a couple of weeks, he no longer needed.

Over the course of several months, he slipped into the same habit you described. I guess I just wasn't really paying attention to how he was holding his pencil. I tried to gently correct it and use The Claw again, but the habit was really strong. He got very frustrated by the "correct" grip, so I just let him continue with what he's used to. HWOT considers both grips to be correct.

I spend time correcting grip. I think it's important.

My 1st grader used to cross his thumb over in a death grip! He no longer crosses the thumb over, but he still has a tendency to grip the pencil tight enough to strangle it. :001_huh:

My 4 and 3yo's both want to put the tall man on top of the pencil, and I spend a little time each day correcting their grip. I generally encourage my 3yo to use tiny nubs of crayons/chalk (I hide the new crayons LOL) b/c that forces him to practice drawing with a tripod grasp. My 4yo uses stetro grips about 1/2 the time.

oh, their pencils are in the correct position, and their thumbs are in th same place they'd be if they were using the "tall man on top" approach. now that you mention it, i remember our HWT showing both as acceptable, as long as the thumb is curled AROUND the pencil. i wouldn't let that go either.

i think i'll see what i can do with the K'er. i'm NOT going to add anxiety to DS's life at this point -- he's really hard on himself and it wouldn't be worth it, IMHO, to add this on top of that. he's a GREAT student and has fantastic penmanship, with a good hard work ethic when it comes to copywork, for his age.

i will look into the pencil grip thing for my DD. she'd probably think it was jewelry for her pencil LOL LOL LOL

I generally encourage my 3yo to use tiny nubs of crayons/chalk (I hide the new crayons LOL) b/c that forces him to practice drawing with a tripod grasp. My 4yo uses stetro grips about 1/2 the time.

crayola now makes triangle shaped crayons...tht would help with the tripod grip too, yes??

I have one who uses the tall-man-on-top grip as well. The triangular crayons have NOT helped her grip. I keep buying them, though, b/c they don't roll off the table and get stepped on and ground into the floor! :)

please tell me how much emphasis is necessary on pencil grip being between the pointer and tall man. my DC get it genetically from me to hold between tall man and ring finger. hmmmmm ..... i can't really correct the 1st grader's writing at this point, but i think i could still win over the Pre-K/K'er level girl in our home ;) is it going to matter down the road??
From what I have seen, the grip that you are describing is an acceptable correct pencil grip. The important thing is that there is open space around the thumb area. I am an artist and I hold my pencil terribly wrong, with no space. Don't worry! Edited by Lovedtodeath