Menu

This is embarrassing

TracyP

:tongue_smilie: but I am curious. Is there any way for an adult to find out if they are "gifted"? I was in an "academically talented" program in school but I had to stop after one year because my parents couldn't afford to pick me up (vs. riding the bus). So many things I am reading ring true to me but I never really thought about it before. I see some signs of low level giftedness in my own kids and that makes me even more curious. I see some parents posting who are gifted. How do you know?

How do you know?

How do you ever know, for kids too?

All you have are various imprecise tests which work on the principle of exclusion from the imagined "average" majority. There's no way to adequately measure giftedness in adults or in children. It's all putting people on an imaginary line based on where they stand compared to other people based on criteria and tests which, as any tests, can "measure" only so much.

I can't really pinpoint what makes a person gifted, let alone think of a good enough measure instruments for the amount of that "quality", if it's a single quality at all. :D

My personal suggestion to you is not to obsess the tests, scales and alike, both for you and the kids - ultimately they hardly mean anything - and to work on pursuing your talents and maximizing your potential. "Gifted" is just a label, after all. :)

I've never been tested, but I just assume that I am. Perhaps that sounds arrogant and presumptuous, but it helps me to explain a lot of things, both bad and good. It explains why as a child, I could never understand why we spent so much time learning things and why I was bored in school. It explains why I was getting in trouble for not doing my school work but instead was doing the work of the older kids (but not turning anything in). It explains why I had a hard time relating to other kids my own age. It explains why when I started dating and had my first boyfriend, we argued all the time about the vocabulary that I used and which he didn't understand.

Most gifted grownups do not go around saying they are gifted or smart or whatever. But having these explanations can really help to put things in perspective. For years, my self-esteem really suffered due to a lot of these issues, and having this perspective really helps me now. I also think this knowledge will allow me to help my gifted daughter to avoid some of these issues herself.

I didn't know I was "officially" gifted until I was in my late 20's and got the idea of sending in my LSAT scores to Mensa. Until then, I struggled a lot with why it was so hard to find like-minded peers.

You can look at the Mensa website and see how you go about sitting for a test. They accept people over 130, which is the top 2% and the generally accepted cutoff for "gifted". If nothing else, it might be sort of fun to try.

I don't see the purpose of joining Mensa, honestly I've always wondered what makes people do it. Saying this as somebody who did indeed pass their cutoff (took a test out of joke when I was younger). What's exactly the purpose of Mensa, what do you do as a Mensa member?

I dunno. I just wanted to see if I could get in. After that, I got the newsletters for awhile, but didn't see any opportunities for anything, so I stopped paying the dues. That's in Canada though. There might be more available for US members.

I've never been tested, but I just assume that I am. Perhaps that sounds arrogant and presumptuous, but it helps me to explain a lot of things, both bad and good. It explains why as a child, I could never understand why we spent so much time learning things and why I was bored in school. It explains why I was getting in trouble for not doing my school work but instead was doing the work of the older kids (but not turning anything in). It explains why I had a hard time relating to other kids my own age. It explains why when I started dating and had my first boyfriend, we argued all the time about the vocabulary that I used and which he didn't understand.

Most gifted grownups do not go around saying they are gifted or smart or whatever. But having these explanations can really help to put things in perspective. For years, my self-esteem really suffered due to a lot of these issues, and having this perspective really helps me now. I also think this knowledge will allow me to help my gifted daughter to avoid some of these issues herself.

Thank you so much. This is really why I am curious. My "friends" made fun of the way I talked and I could never relate to my peers. I see this happening with my kids now. DD has more in common with older kids but they don't want her around because she is little. She doesn't notice but it bothers me. I want some reassurance that this is because something is "right" with us not "wrong" with us if that makes sense.:001_smile:

I don't see the purpose of joining Mensa, honestly I've always wondered what makes people do it. Saying this as somebody who did indeed pass their cutoff (took a test out of joke when I was younger). What's exactly the purpose of Mensa, what do you do as a Mensa member?

I've never bothered joining MENSA either, but I've heard good things about their HS subgroup so periodically I consider it.