Menu

Anybody in Winston-Salem, NC?

My 12yo dd has been invited to attend the NC School of the Arts' Dance Festival this weekend in Winston-Salem. I will have a lot of time since she will be in classes most of the time. Are there any good bookstores or something special I should see while I'm there?

There is a Barnes & Noble near the mall, a Borders down the road, and a used bookstore called "Edward McKay" near to Borders.

Just down the road from Borders/Edward McKay's is Reynolda House which is a historic home and American art museum. You can walk the gardens for free but have to purchase a ticket for touring the house.

Old Salem is a nice place to visit especially if the weather is pleasant as the forecast calls for this weekend. You can walk around for free but have to purchase tickets to enter the buildings.

HTH

You could spend your entire day or two happily in Old Salem, do MESDA, and see the most thouroughly well catalogued, historically acurate gardens in the US.

OS is smaller, and all educational.

LBS

PS Edward McKay's is amazing, too, and at the old outdoor shopping center, Thruway, just across the street, you can visit Dewey's bakery and get Lovefeast buns, Moravian sugarcake....oh, so good.

If you had a week in the area, and like pottery, go to Seagrove.