Menu

Character Quality Language Arts

LindaOz

I used it for a little while this year. My dd is in 5th.

I think that it is a very well thought out program and teaches great composition skills.

Unfortunately, I had to switch. It was too time consuming for us, as I needed dd to have more of an independent LA so I had time to work with my little guy on his phonics. So she is now using Hake Grammar and Writing.

Edited to say: I'm sorry...I meant to say we used it some LAST year! Lol! It was Meaningful Composition that we used this year. If you go to homeschoolreviews dot com, there are some really good reviews for CQLA. That would help you a lot more than I can. My memory...ugh! Lol!

Edited by Alyeska
because I am being dingy! Lol!

I'm back:D

My 11yr old dc is using CQLA Level A. I started him with level A because he hasn't really had a lot of writing instruction in the past. I do want to note that they are revamping CQLA. Blue is currently done and Red is next.

My son is also academically challenged so keep that in mind too.

He enjoys using CQLA. Not jumping to start it but he doesn't dread it. My son is horrible in spelling so we are skipping the spelling and Editor and Chief section. I do have him read the rule and copy the words but we are not using the notebook nor taking a test at the end of the week.

I like that he copies a passage and he works with this passage all week. Another day he will make a Key Word Outline. Make an opening and closing sentence. Makes a rough draft. We go over it together. Correct any mistakes and use the Checklist Challenge. I really like the whole concept of the checklist challenge but my son has trouble with grammar.

The grammar portion is not overwhelming. The author of CQLA liked easy grammar so it's mirrored from that. I would like to add daily grams though because my son can use the extra practice.

Overall we are liking this program. I'm still debating if we will use it next year though only because he is going to start The Bridge to the Latin Road. I'm not sure if it would be overkill to have him do both. I am leaning towards it though because CQLA grammar is not too much. I think it would be good to have some overlap with him. The writing is really working for him. In fact he told me that it's helped him to write better.

At the end of the week the child takes a spelling test and dictation of the passage. We are using SWR for spelling so we skip this part and again my son can't spell so we skip the dictation passage:confused:

I like the program it's worth the money. My son enjoys it and is learning. I like that I can choose how much he does because there are three levels basic, extension and further extension. I currently have my son doing extension and hope to move him to further extension next month.

My son does a lot of CQLA on his own and I check in with him.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Linda, do you know what they are doing to revamp the program? And thanks for your detailed reply. I'm glad that you said your son was able to do a lot of it on his own. I would be looking for that 'feature' in a program. We are currently using LLATL (and I really like it, so I shouldn't be looking at anything else :tongue_smilie: ) but this has really caught my eye, and I'm trying to check it out thoroughly before I make any decisions. After reading the FAQs on the site it seems that the author used LLATL as one of the springboards for this program, but took the writing instruction further - which is one thing that appeals to me.

So, did you find that Level A was a good level for your 11yo? Did you use the extensions or further extensions with him? I would consider Level A for my 9 and 11yo, as my 11yo is not a strong writer, so I think this would work.

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by LindaOz

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's to do with the spelling portion, making it more user friendly and Editor Duty. I don't know the details. The author hasn't put any samples because of not wanting to confuse the buyer.

My son is not strong in grammar or writing so level A was perfect. I'm glad I didn't start him in level B. I wrote about this on my blog a few days ago. If you would like to read it click here. It's a bit long so grab your favorite drink;)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Linda, do you know what they are doing to revamp the program? And thanks for your detailed reply. I'm glad that you said your son was able to do a lot of it on his own. I would be looking for that 'feature' in a program. We are currently using LLATL (and I really like it, so I shouldn't be looking at anything else :tongue_smilie: ) but this has really caught my eye, and I'm trying to check it out thoroughly before I make any decisions. After reading the FAQs on the site it seems that the author used LLATL as one of the springboards for this program, but took the writing instruction further - which is one thing that appeals to me.

So, did you find that Level A was a good level for your 11yo? Did you use the extensions or further extensions with him? I would consider Level A for my 9 and 11yo, as my 11yo is not a strong writer, so I think this would work.

Anyway, thanks again.

I bought LLATL to use next year with both of my sons, will be 5th and 9th, but I am SERIOUSLY considering going the CQLA route instead. From what I can tell of the Blue level samples they have online (versus the Red samples I downloaded about 2 years ago) the spelling in at least level B and C has incredible spelling "clues" for the student. It shows the ones that are frequently misspelled and breaks them down by syllable for easy mastery, maybe a sort of Megawords feel. There is also something she calls Definition Dissections.

That's all I can recall right now. Obviously there won't be the book studies included, but I prefer a more CM approach to that anyway;)

I love her writing approach, and to be honest I am just plain TIRED of trying to compile everything myself!:tongue_smilie:

Hopefully you find the right curriculum for your family! (I am still praying myself!!:D )

I bought LLATL to use next year with both of my sons, will be 5th and 9th, but I am SERIOUSLY considering going the CQLA route instead. From what I can tell of the Blue level samples they have online (versus the Red samples I downloaded about 2 years ago) the spelling in at least level B and C has incredible spelling "clues" for the student. It shows the ones that are frequently misspelled and breaks them down by syllable for easy mastery, maybe a sort of Megawords feel. There is also something she calls Definition Dissections.

That's all I can recall right now. Obviously there won't be the book studies included, but I prefer a more CM approach to that anyway;)

I love her writing approach, and to be honest I am just plain TIRED of trying to compile everything myself!:tongue_smilie:

Hopefully you find the right curriculum for your family! (I am still praying myself!!:D )

I didn't know the new samples were up! Thanks, I'm going to take a look today.

Hmmm!! Still thinking.

Blessedmom, thanks for your reply. Books studies is one element of LLATL that I like (especially for my older two) that would be missing from CQLA. But, like you, we do tend to take a CM route with that too. I also like their poetry units etc, which I don't know if CQLA would cover as it doesn't really include literature per se.

I think I'll download the samples and get my kids to use it for a month and see how we go. I would need to use at least three levels - Pre A, A and B. I think my 8th and 9th graders could do B level with extension/s. I read in the FAQs that even the author used B with extensions for her 9th grader. My 8th and 9th graders are good writers but I want to extend them into more structured and directed writing. It's a bit scarey because I'm in Australia and the postage for 3 levels will likely be horrendous :tongue_smilie:

BTW Linda.... I noticed on your blog that your dd is using Meaningful Composition without using CQLA. How have you found that? Have you found it to be helpful for her writing while using something else for other LA components? What level did she use?

Questions, questions.... thanks so much for your time. :D

Hmmm!! Still thinking.

BTW Linda.... I noticed on your blog that your dd is using Meaningful Composition without using CQLA. How have you found that? Have you found it to be helpful for her writing while using something else for other LA components? What level did she use?

Questions, questions.... thanks so much for your time. :D

My dd is using level 4. I really like how it tells you exactly what to do. Step by step instructions:D I'm considering having her use CQLA though. Still deciding. Nothing against MC but am liking the whole LA package.

It has been slow going though with her writing because she does not like to write at ALL. Unlike her older brother Josh. He enjoys writing.

I'm having a hard time deciding between CQLA and MC for my older two next year. I thought to go with CQLA but we will also be using The Bridge to the Latin Road which is a grammar course, so I'm not sure if I should skip a year and then continue with it after we finish The Bridge.

FYI: CQLA is on sale this month for $59.00.

Thanks, Linda, for letting me know about the sale. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Just checking...... MC is the same writing instruction that is included in the CQLA package but just without all the other LA parts. Is that right?

Thanks for you help :)

I have used it with my 9 and 11 year old and while I liked it, it was very time consuming. I just needed something that they could do with only help from me. We are doing LLATL and we are liking it much better, although I may add her writing program in next year.

Thanks, Linda, for letting me know about the sale. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Just checking...... MC is the same writing instruction that is included in the CQLA package but just without all the other LA parts. Is that right?

Thanks for you help :)

Yes, and you are very welcome.

I got this in my email box today. It's regards to MC.

More MC Placement Help

Note: All first semester books (I) teach how to create and write from a Key Word Outline and how to complete TFT’s Checklist Challenge.

1. Your student is in fourth through sixth grade and does not know the basic elements of a sentence or paragraph, check out MC 4 I: Sentences, Paragraphs, and More.

2. Your student is in fourth through sixth grade and does not know the basic elements of a paragraph, check out MC 4 II: Put Those Paragraphs Together.

3. Your student is in fifth through eighth grade and has not written three or more paragraph reports and essays much, check out MC 5 I: Writing for Real.

4. Your student is in fifth through eighth grade and likes to write creatively—but has not written more than six paragraphs or so, check out MC 5 II: Creative and Clever.

5. Your student is in sixth through ninth grade and has not written four or more paragraphs very much, check out MC 6 I: Long and Strong.

6. Your student is in seventh through twelfth grade and has not written six or more paragraphs very much, check out MC 8 I: Bridging the Gap.

7. Your student is in eight through twelfth grade and has not done eight to twelve research based reports very much, check out MC 9 I: Research Reports.

8. Your student is in tenth through twelfth grade and is college bound but has not learned to write a lengthy research paper following a standard citation format (MLA in this case), check out MC 12 I: The Research Paper.

Yes, and you are very welcome.

I got this in my email box today. It's regards to MC.

More MC Placement Help

Note: All first semester books (I) teach how to create and write from a Key Word Outline and how to complete TFT’s Checklist Challenge.

1. Your student is in fourth through sixth grade and does not know the basic elements of a sentence or paragraph, check out MC 4 I: Sentences, Paragraphs, and More.

2. Your student is in fourth through sixth grade and does not know the basic elements of a paragraph, check out MC 4 II: Put Those Paragraphs Together.

3. Your student is in fifth through eighth grade and has not written three or more paragraph reports and essays much, check out MC 5 I: Writing for Real.

4. Your student is in fifth through eighth grade and likes to write creatively—but has not written more than six paragraphs or so, check out MC 5 II: Creative and Clever.

5. Your student is in sixth through ninth grade and has not written four or more paragraphs very much, check out MC 6 I: Long and Strong.

6. Your student is in seventh through twelfth grade and has not written six or more paragraphs very much, check out MC 8 I: Bridging the Gap.

7. Your student is in eight through twelfth grade and has not done eight to twelve research based reports very much, check out MC 9 I: Research Reports.

8. Your student is in tenth through twelfth grade and is college bound but has not learned to write a lengthy research paper following a standard citation format (MLA in this case), check out MC 12 I: The Research Paper.

Excellent!! That is really helpful. Thankyou.

I have used it with my 9 and 11 year old and while I liked it, it was very time consuming. I just needed something that they could do with only help from me. We are doing LLATL and we are liking it much better, although I may add her writing program in next year.

When you say 'time consuming', how much time do you mean? How much of it were your 9 and 11 yo able to do independently, and how much did they rely on you?

We are doing LLATL now, and I really like LLATL, so I shouldn't be looking at other programs.... :tongue_smilie:. LLATL really is good and my children are able to do it mostly independently, which is also something I like.

So, I am contemplating whether to give CQLA a try, or whether to stick with what I am already doing and add MC in along with it. Even on sale, it will be a big investment to get CQLA for most of my children (combined with postage to Australia, which can be a bit of a killer :001_unsure: ). I think that adding MC may be the way to go.

Just thinking 'out loud' ;)

When you say 'time consuming', how much time do you mean? How much of it were your 9 and 11 yo able to do independently, and how much did they rely on you?

We are doing LLATL now, and I really like LLATL, so I shouldn't be looking at other programs.... :tongue_smilie:. LLATL really is good and my children are able to do it mostly independently, which is also something I like.

So, I am contemplating whether to give CQLA a try, or whether to stick with what I am already doing and add MC in along with it. Even on sale, it will be a big investment to get CQLA for most of my children (combined with postage to Australia, which can be a bit of a killer :001_unsure: ). I think that adding MC may be the way to go.

Just thinking 'out loud' ;)

Linda, as much as I really do like CQLA I think that MC might be the way to go for you too. If LLATL is working I would stick with it.

I think it's that end of the school year, looking for something to get me to the finish line thing. You know the Feb & March blues ;) Trying to make that last stretch to finish the year. I mean that in a good way. I enjoy homeschooling but Feb & March I need a boost. So, I start ordering for next year :)

Edited by Homeschooling6

When I said time consuming I mean we had to start it in the middle of last summer and it was all we got accomplished for awhile. Once we found more of a groove, my 11 year old did better on his own but my 9 year old needed lots of hand holding. I think if I were to do it again I would wait intil they were at least 10 to start it. I think it is a great program but LLATL just fits us better.

Christa