Menu

Singapore Math Earlybird

kmom

My dd is 5 and we have been using Righstart A this year. Very happy with it:) I am looking at Singapore Earlybird for her and wondered if I should use just the textbooks or go ahead and get the activity books. We are going slow in RS...at her pace due to age. She enjoys the manipulatives but loves doing a workbook page lol. Anyways, just looking for anyone with experience with Singapore.

Thanks!!

Earlybird A is very easy, think PreK level. There are things like sorting, matching, bigger taller etc.

Earlybird B is more of a kindy program. It has money, numbers to 100, beginning addition and subtraction, calendar, time to the hour etc.

The text are all you really must have. The activity books are fun for kids who like cutting and pasting type activities.

We're doing Saxon and I got the activity books just for fun. I don't have the Singapore text/wb. It's a neat book but without the textbook it feels disjointed exp. since we're using a different program. I used Saxon for years w/ds so it's not that I don't like it. I do. I just don't think using the activity books to supplement another program will always work. If you dd likes workbook pages why not just buy it? Since it's beginner math, it wouldn't require too much explanation. The text might not even be necessary. Just a thought - I haven't seen the text/wb for that level.

as a RS devotee and one who started out thinking that singapore would be right for our DS, i purchased the Early Bird and the 1A ....

i'm on my second kid with RS {A} and i have her doing a page here and there in the early bird, which I would agree is DEFINITELY preK level type stuff. BUT i'm using it selectively. you want to make sure that the WAY you're teaching numbers stays in sync with RS A .... there's a grander scheme at work, and singapore gets very out of sync with RS .... you want your child to be GROUPING numbers, not counting individually. the earlybird does a LOT of one-to-one correspondence type counting, which is good for a season, but you don't want the child to only be able to count by ones. you want them to start grouping in their minds into twos, threes, fives, etc, as this lays the foundation for the later arithmetic, IMHO.

i undersatnd the workbooky stuff that the kids at that age enjoy. just exercise caution when doing the earlybird as much as possible and make it about grouping as much as possible, even if it's just counting by twos or determining whether something is even or odd :) the earlybird pages are so "blank slate" type if you don't have the TM that you can basically adapt the pics to meet YOUR purpose and therefore be extending your RS topic a little further but in disguise :)

my $.02.

Earlybird A is very easy, think PreK level. There are things like sorting, matching, bigger taller etc.

Earlybird B is more of a kindy program. It has money, numbers to 100, beginning addition and subtraction, calendar, time to the hour etc.

The text are all you really must have. The activity books are fun for kids who like cutting and pasting type activities.

:iagree:

Ok, sort of high-jacking this thread. hopefully ok:001_smile:

How do you teach grouping numbers?

We are starting out with earlybird also, I have a five year old.

Right Start intimidates me and is a little pricey for us right now. I have NEVER worked with an abacus, SO we are looking into Miquon for manipulatives. Does this help with grouping?

What else could I do to help with grouping that's not right start?