Menu

Cycle 2 History for Classical Conversations... for a 2nd grader

SonshineLearner

Switched Title to see if I'd get a better response :tongue_smilie: ...

What do you think... package wise... of curriculum that would suit a 2nd grader for History... Not worried about anything except History....

The time period would be Pre-Reformation World Thru Modern... :auto:

Or... something similar. We do Classical Conversations and I'm trying for and open and go History Program. I had Latin Centered Curriculum picked out... but now I'm thinking of something else. What are my choices... my older child will be doing Challenge A... :D

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama
Trying for a better Title

Hi Carrie,

Sonlight Core 2? That's what I wish I could do with my DD next year along with Cycle 2, but I think the readers and LA would be way too easy for a 5th grader. And SL Core 7 is too hard for her. Boo Hoo.

I can't think of what else goes from Middle Ages to Modern in 1 year besides doubling up on SOTW or just reading CHOW. I'll be watching to see if someone else has a suggestion.....

Ann

Why not use the resource list (of books, etc) that CC gives for each week?

Monday: SOTW chapter/CHOW/Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia that correlates to weekly history topic

Tuesday: Choose a library book from CC resource list and have student summarize it (bookbasket)

Wednesday: Mapping activity

Thursday: Bookbasket

Friday: Fun activity related to topic

or...

do the Veritas Press history (you can buy the lesson plans or just the teacher manual that correlate to the cards)

Why not use SOTW 2 ?

My 9 yo's are doing VP's online Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation class so we do VP's materials for that. We read aloud the corresponding chapters of SOTW 2, mostly for my 1st/2nd grade daughter's benefit.

If we were doing CC Cycle 2 and my oldest were in 2nd grade, I would just do SOTW 2 & AG and leave the CC history cards/memory work as a supplement/reinforcement. I wouldn't even try to sync up CC2 & SOTW 2, because, really, SOTW is much more cohesive than CC2's pure facts approach.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeoffsrib
Why not use the resource list (of books, etc) that CC gives for each week?

Monday: SOTW chapter/CHOW/Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia that correlates to weekly history topic

Tuesday: Choose a library book from CC resource list and have student summarize it (bookbasket)

Wednesday: Mapping activity

Thursday: Bookbasket

Friday: Fun activity related to topic

or...

do the Veritas Press history (you can buy the lesson plans or just the teacher manual that correlate to the cards)

Amy, can you send me the schedule which corresponds SOTW/CHOW/Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia?

I would rec SOTW also.

To supplement our CC history studies this year I used our audio SOTW, Mysteries of History, Usborne I-L Encylopedia of WH, and then any other home or library book.

I broke it up so that each of my 3 girls rotated in which bk they used / read from on a particular day. It's worked out very well.

If you use the SOTW act guide - you'll also have mapping activities and projects to do.

Definitely ck the CC resource list for the corresponding pages.