Menu

Would Sonlight work for me?

amtmcm

I'm pretty happy with the open & go curriculum we're using right now. I pick up a book or text and we just do the next lesson. If we go on a field trip and miss a day, it's no biggie, we just pick up where we left off.

Our favorite time for school is when we're curled up on the couch reading MOH & CLE Science. I've already decided on SL 3 Science, and I'm really liking the looks of the LA. My DD is a reluctant reader, but she is a "list checker," so if the SL grid tells her to read I believe she'll do it. I'm hopeful this would get her reading more consistently.

Concern #1: DD10 will continue with Classical Conversations, so if we switch to SL we'd have to use a 4-day schedule. And if we go on a field trip, then we'll still have a day to make up that week. How hard is it to catch up?

Concern #2: How long does SL 3 take for history, science, Bible & LA? The website says 3.5-4.5 hours (including math). Have others found this to be accurate?

Concern #3: Would you consider Sonlight to be open & go?

Tempted, but undecided. :)

Think about it... even if you have to have 24 more days of school... due to one extra day of field trips a week during the CC year... you can get that done with.... April -June.... of extra school.... Put that into next year.... ect, And of course, you won't get all 24 days behind. I have friends who take a year and a half per core...

Are you doing the LA for Sonlight instead of using Essentials??

:-)

I know it's sometimes hard for box checkers but the "weeks" don't have to be a traditional week. They are simply day 1-4 on the 4 day schedule. I do a 4 day schedule but the LA and Reader schedules are five day schedules, so our days never line up. :) We just move to the next assignment and date the box. Sometimes we are ahead in something, sometimes we are behind in something, depends on what we really like and what we might add. Sometimes I work the grid horizontally. Try not to let the days of the week get to you. :chillpill: Definately can be open and go. For those of us who tweak everything, nothing is open and go. :D

Edited by melmichigan

I think Sonlight sounds like a great fit for you. It is definitely open and go.

We just open to the next day and do it. It doesn't matter if we have a 3-day week, a 4-day week or a normal (for us) 5-day week. We just do what comes next. Sonlight shows Monday-Friday, but of course not all weeks go like that - holidays, field trips, etc. It flows easily!

If you like cuddle time on the couch - it will give it to you. It is a low stress curriculum with lots of cuddles and conversations.

My only warning is that for your 10 yo reluctant reader, you may need to drop a book if she gets behind. Sonlight consultants tell you to use it as a smorgasbord. Choose the books that work for you and feel free to skip some if you need to. Don't let it overwhelm you - or her!

Great advice everyone! Thanks for the encouragement!

Are you doing the LA for Sonlight instead of using Essentials??

:-)

I've been considering Essentials, but my DD13 will attend David Quine's Starting Points while DD10 is at CC and then she needs to go home after lunch to do schoolwork. So it doesn't work for DD13's schedule. DD10 will do Essentials the following year when DD13 is at CC with us. I feel strongly called to put DD13 in Starting Points instead of CC this year, but that's a whole other topic. :)

I have been using SL for over 5yrs and I love that it's all scheduled. If I miss a day, we just pick up and go. As far as how long it takes, it will really depends on you and your dc. IF you do everything that is scheduled in the IG for a day, then it is going to take longer. Remember that you don't have to do all that is scheduled in the IG. For instance there are comprehension questions for what your child reads in their readers, history, and read alouds. I don't do these questions because we do much of the reading together and talk about it afterwards. I want him to like to read so I don't do the comprehension questions for his reader; I just let him read.

Sonlight says that you don't let the curriculum master you, you master it. I would say you check out their website and check out their reasons to NOT buy from them.