Menu

Latin curriculum choices....help me choose

Sunshine Mama

So, the more I research latin choices the more confused I get. :) My son is in 2nd grade this year. We are looking for something:

• very much open the book and go, even scripted perhaps.
  • prefer secular, although Christian references would be ok.

I've already purchased Prima Latina & Minimus (from last year) so we're planning on starting that within the next few weeks. In the fall or whenever we finish PL and Minimus, I was thinking maybe Lively Latin (although I'm also considering Latin for Children). Then, in 4th grade would he be ready for Latin Prep mixed with Cambridge? I realize I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to make sure I pick a good starter program that will flow into whatever Latin program we choose next.

Or does anyone have other ideas that they think would work better based on my requirements? Thanks in advance!

Fourth grade would be the very earliest I would recommend Latin Prep. My fourth grader is using Latin Prep 1, but we are going at half speed and using the extra workbooks too. He is bright and is already fluent in another foreign language, but Latin Prep ramps up pretty fast and I don't want him to hit a wall. FWIW my 13yo is doing Latin Prep 3 and is finding it challenging to keep the vast amount of information that he needs in his head.

You don't really need a starter programme before Latin Prep - LP assumes no Latin background. Minimus is fun, but Calvin retained nothing from it and I didn't bother using it with Hobbes - he was already studying Mandarin and Greek (the latter his choice) so I just left Latin to one side. I've heard good things about Lively Latin, but haven't used it myself.

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

We used LFC A last year (third grade) and are now half-way through LFC B. Because of the great chanting done with LFC, I think it is one of the best programs to learn vocabulary, declensions, etc. While loving LFC, my daughter and I decided that we wanted more practice translating. After much research I decided on Latin Prep. Latin Prep 1 has been perfect for us-clear explanations and enjoyable sentences/stories. It moves very quickly so we are taking it slow. There is no previous Latin required for LP but I think it would be petty tough without some background in Latin. Our LFC background is really helping; we know so much vocabulary and declension chants that we can focus on grammar and translating with LP. We were also able to skip the first two chapters in LP. For now we are taking a break from LFC B to give us time to focus on LP and to review vocabulary that we have learned so far. We definitely plan on picking LFC B back up in the near future.

For us, LFC and Latin Prep have been a great combination. I highly recommend the workbooks that go along with Latin Prep 1 and this workbook from Galore Park is also very good for additional practice http://www.galorepark.co.uk/product/parents/994/latin-practice-exercises-level-1.html.

I recommend you looking up some older post about Latin. Laura Corin and Abbeyej were especially helpful to me when I was trying to find out more about LP.