Menu

Colonial Williamsburg Homeschool Week Question

My children would tell you that the best part is the bakery :). The best part is that you can be flexible about what you pick to do. When I had a 2 yo it was nearly impossible to stay for the entire tour of the Governor's Mansion but the tour is very interesting. We can do the tour now that he is almost 5. Strollers cannot go into any of the historic building so be prepared to leave it parked outside a lot. We love the jail, the armory, the pharmacy and the shoe experts. Also the outside programs are good if the weather is decent, they will have programs about farming, building fences, etc. that are very interesting. Also, if you can, plan to eat once at an on-site tavern. There are a couple very kid friendly ones and the food is very interesting. HTH

I agree with your kiddos :p I still fantasize about the ginger bread! I personally loved the doctors office! I have been several times and can't wait to go again when the kids get a bit older! And really the whole place is a do not miss and the tours are fantastic!

If you eat at one of the taverns - plan to go very early so that you can get seated. Two years ago we went in February, 11:30 got us a seat for lunch. I believe only one tavern was open.

Also, pick and choose the programs at the house that's open for homeschoolers. With the ages of your kids - go when they have the kitchen open. Skip the presentation on apprenticeships.

If you can get the audio books for the Felicity American Girl series and listen to that before you go or on the trip there, you will see lots of familiar sites that are mentioned in the book.

Be prepared to be cold - we froze!!

I don't think the bakery or doctor's office were open when we went! That sounds fun!

Some tours you will be more interested in and might be hard for your littles to sit through. I wish I could remember the names - but the government building and the courthouse might fall into this.

The armory was really neat - take your time and examine the weapons - my kids liked that!

My kids loved the gaol. They got to participate in a few throwing demos (e.g. throwing axes at large wood figures, etc.) Hands down the best for them.

They also loved the calligraphy demonstration. The actor was great and the kids got to try it out and he wrote their names in beautiful script.

Ghost walk - mine were about your kids ages when we went. We left the little one at the hotel with dad and went on the ghost walk geared for kids - not very scary at all.

Games on the green - walking on stilts, stick and hoop, etc.

Papermaker and binder - amazing to see how books were made. Post office was also a big hit. Who knew sealing wax was so cool.

At the very beginning when you walk in there is a farm with a well. Kids spent 20 minutes talking to the actor there and using the well.

Have you checked out the itineraries they have on the their site? Might be helpful to you.

http://www.history.org/visit/whatToSeeAndDo/historicArea/itineraries.cfm

Have fun!

I'm really concerned about the weather. If anyone has done this in early March, please let me know if it was worth doing in the cold. We cannot go in September. Is it worth it to save the money or is it really too cold to enjoy it? Thanks. (We'd also do Jamestown)

Several of my children loved dressing like a colonial. My boys rented costumes (oldest ds and dd claimed they were too old). They have beautiful girl costumes. You have to purchase a hat and my boys. I believe the kids that are dressed can march in the parade or take special messeges places, but I can't recall. We didn't do that as we went on a Sunday and those activities weren't available. Several tourists took pictures of my boys in costumes!

Lisa