Menu

Making 200 finger sandwiches for Sunday-willing to share great recipes?

Cream cheese with chopped candied ginger and cucumber. The ones I had had the cream cheese and ginger mixed and the cucumber thinly sliced on top of that, but I don't see why you couldn't mix in cucumber that has been seeded and fairly finely chopped. It's not a combination I would have thought of, but they were great.

We also like curried egg salad---hardboiled egg, mayonnaise (we use Duke's, which has no sugar, but that may not be available where you are), curry powder, cumin, garam masala---or a curried chicken salad---chopped cooked chicken, mayonnaise, chopped apples, curry powder, garam masala, chopped celery, maybe some chopped nuts. Sometimes I put chopped hardboiled egg in instead of apple, not sure if they would work together. I get the McCormick's garam masala from the spice aisle, but you may have access to better.

My dd loves cucumber sandwiches. Spread some softened cream cheese thinly on both sides of the bread. Peel and cut the cuke the length of the bread, then slice it thinly (easier to deal with than round slices). Slap the bread together, cut into 4 squares and voila! Cucumber sandwiches! (oh, if they're going to be sitting around a bit before being served, make sure you allow a lot of the moisture to drain from the cukes before assembling the sandwich)

You can make chicken salad by cooking up some chicken breast, then pulverizing it in the food processor. Add your mayo and whatever else you put in chicken salad (curry or mustard or however you like it seasoned). You can do the same with ham, but add some relish to it, to.

Buy white bread a day before the party and let it sit at room temp. It will not be stale, but it will harden just enough to give it 'body' that will keep the sandwiches from getting soggy.

Also, I always put a layer of fat on each bread surface first. This could be butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, etc. This seals the bread from the soggier fillings like jelly.

Love the ideas so far.

I usually have peanut butter and jelly, but elegant--crustless bread, cut into triangles--for the younger set.

Open faced onion canapes are great if you can afford the last minute cooking time. You mix a finely chopped large white onion with enough mayo (NOT light mayo for this one) to moisten it and make it hold together. Chill.

Cut rounds in a loaf of white bread slices, using a biscuit cutter. Toast one side of the bread, only (in a toaster oven or broiler).

Just before serving, spread the onion mixture on the untoasted side of the bread. Put these in a jelly roll pan and broil or toast until the onion just starts to turn a bit brown on the edges. You can top these with grated parmesan cheese for a different taste.

These are amazingly good. They are not at all like they sound. Everyone loves these, and when they find out about the mayo they cannot believe it.

BTW, I never use white bread at all except when I'm making this kind of thing. Other than parties, I'm an all wheat kind of girl.