Menu

Spell to Write and Read * Teaching the Words

SonshineLearner

Here's how I did it when I was using SWR.

1) Dictate the word, read the sentence with it and then say the spelling word again

2) The child claps out the syllables

3) The child says the word a sound at a time while I fingerspell the word

4) The child writes the word

5) The child dictates the word back to me a sound at a time while I write it on a whiteboard

6) We discuss any markings and write them on the whiteboard

Lisa

So.... to finger spell the word... I can't remember... is each phonogram a different finger... and if it's a two letter one.... it's still one finger??

Thanks

<warning, I was never shown how to do the fingering. I heard about it and invented my own way, which may or may not be close to the official version.>

I use two (or three) fingers stuck together to indicate a digraph, e.g. It works well. Another thing I do (I have no idea if this is kosher), when giving hints, it is, for the work "rake", /r/ and raise first finger, /A/ and raise fingers two and four, then /k/ and raise finger three.

I think you need the two finger because how else will kid get a hint on how to spell the durn thing?

(My son only allows the finger method if he is really stuck. If I try to do it on words he thinks he knows, he pinches his eyes shut....try sitting still while your child writes a word with his eyes pinched shut!)

Each finger is supposed to represent a letter and you stick fingers representing multi-letter phonograms together. The only think I have to add to finger spelling is to use both hands for multi-syllable words. I use the right hand for the first syllable, left for the second, and the right hand again for the third and so on.

(My son only allows the finger method if he is really stuck. If I try to do it on words he thinks he knows, he pinches his eyes shut....try sitting still while your child writes a word with his eyes pinched shut!)

My ds does this too. He will often tell me not to "do the finger thing, because I already know how to spell that word." I usually make him watch my fingers because he's such a visual learner, but he'll try to write the word before I can finish the finger spelling anyway. He does request finger spelling during the week if he gets stuck during dictation or quizzes.