Menu

Singapore Math extra practice/extensive practice?

blessedx5

I don't use either. My son doesn't need extra practice and I don't like the Intensive Practice books. I do, however, use the Challenging Word Problems (unfortunately now out of print) a level behind to develop problem solving skills and to review concepts from the previous level.

I don't use either. My son doesn't need extra practice and I don't like the Intensive Practice books. I do, however, use the Challenging Word Problems (unfortunately now out of print) a level behind to develop problem solving skills and to review concepts from the previous level.

I am thinking about using CLE and supplementing with the IP books. Can you tell me why you didn't like them?

I have Extra Practice for levels 1-5 and Intensive Practice for levels 1-6 (and also the Challenging Word Problems for 1-6, too). My kids finish ~80-95% of the IP workbooks. I only assign exercises from Extra Practice if they need more practice at the same level of difficulty as the PM-Workbook and Textbook. But usually, after doing a Workbook exercise, they'll do more problems on the same topic in the IP. Each IP is arranged topically, almost the same topics and same order as the PM-TB (US Ed.). For most topics, there are a bunch of regular problems and then there is a Word Problem section; the word problems get increasingly difficult as you progress through the section.

I'll try to link a few scanned pages that I put on GoogleDocs. These are from Intensive Practice 4A, the last topic, Area & Perimeter. This section is 16 pages long: 9 pages of problems, 6 pages of word problems (see 3rd link below), and 1 page for the Take the Challenge! problems. Here and here are sample pages of regular exercises, and here is a sample page from the Word Problem section. (hope these links work!)

Also, at the end of IP-4A, there is a comprehensive Mid-Year Review (45 problems) that could easily be used as a midterm or final exam. It's set up pretty much the same as the ones in the old Federal Test Papers series, which used to be sold at singaporemath.com.

Of all the SM supplements we use, IP is the one we use most.

HTH!

Do you use these with every level? Do you use both extra and extensive?

I am trying to determine if I want/need to get extra practice book 2a and maybe extensive practice for my oldest for 4b/5a...

Debbie

I use the Intensive practice for every level, but I don't use the extra practice books at all. Mostly because I plan to use the upper level Singapore texts, and I want my kids used to working with thinking problems.

Heather