Menu

Are your friends right around your age? What about stage of life?

Hmmm...interesting question. Many of my friends come from my old neighborhood and my new neighborhood. And some are the ladies from all of my kids' sports teams, since we travel a lot together and form bonds. Most are in their forties, like me.

My closest friends are family - my two brothers, my cousin and my Mom.

Because I am involved in some non-profit groups, I also have friends of all ages and stages. A good friend is a 68 year old male that volunteers with me at the soup kitchen. He loves to take the kids out fishing and on his boat!

Oh - and to clarify. These are true friends. We talk on the phone, go out to breakfast, hang out as families, celebrate birthdays etc.

Since this is my first year hs, I am finding it to be quite isolating. The more I am in my house teaching, the more I want to just stay in my house and do nothing. Some of my friends are worried that I am not that social and outgoing person I used to be. It worries me too. I feel like I'm in a bubble sometimes.

I'm finding myself pretty much a loner these days. A few years ago, I had several friends I'd met through my dc's activities. These were very nice ladies whose children were the same age/stage as my children. But, they were not may age. They were all 10 - 12 years younger than me.

That was not a problem until I started perimenopause. My shift into that season of life was physically difficult. My cycles became very heavy and erratic. What does that have to do with friendship? A lot I found out. THese ladies were trying to get pregnant. Many had toddlers at home they were potty training. I was dealing with migraines, heavy cramps, bifocals, anemia, and all the other things that come with this type of aging. Suddenly, I was the "old lady" of the group - yes, someone actually said this. Another remarked that I was starting to look like her mother (not a compliment I thought).

Our ages were never the same. But, suddenly our stages were not the same either. I tried to be the Titus 2 woman, and "be there" for them. Answer questions - they preferred their peers or their mothers, or offer general support. But, they had no interest in offering me support. To be fair, they are still 10+ years away from dealing with the transition, I suppose they felt they had very little to say.

Now, the ladies I know who are my age, are mostly empty nesters. They want to "do lunch" and go shopping. That is fine, but I am not of the stage. I am very happy with my stage. They are done with that and don't want to make adaptions for it.