Menu

A small victory story in math...

eksargent

Last year (my 1st year homeschooling) was a disaster in math. My curriculum of choice was highly recommended and widely successful with many of you on this board. For me...a flop.

After some research I found CLE (Christian Light Education). I started my 10ds in level 400. For those who aren't familiar, each level includes 10 "Light Units". Each light unit has 17 lessons including 2 quizzes and 1 test. Today, ds is starting light unit 407. He has gone from an average ps student to a math loving kid!!!

I am looking ahead at high school math and trying to determine what courses he will take. I love CLE for elementary and middle...I'm just looking around at other high school options. So, I checked around and found Teaching Textbooks. I printed some placement tests and gave them do ds. He tested into the 7th grade. I was shocked! He isn't gifted or advanced. We have just found a great program that works for him. He "gets" it. He doesn't forget it. He likes it. I love it. I don't have to "teach" him. It's almost completely independent.

Often I look for info, opinions, and experiences from you all before making decisions about curriculum. I just wanted to share my experience with this program.

That is wonderful!! The best math program is the one that works for your kid. I love finding just the right fit.

Just fyi, most people around here consider TT a little behind so their 6th book is like 5th grade, 7th book would be 6th grade exc. - still a great program, just funny that they label the books that way.

I would agree. TT must be somewhat behind...I was just surprised there was wasn't a bigger gap. KWIM.

Now...if I could just get my other subjects running as smoothly...:001_huh:

We're using three levels of CLE math this year and all I can say is I'm kicking myself for not switching sooner! Yacko actually showed it to me at a homeschool convention a full year before I bought it and asked to switch. lol

Yacko is working (slowly, due to gaps) through 600, Wacko is going through 500 and will likely catch up to Yacko some time in the next 6 mos, and if they're not care Dot will finish 400 before either of the boys get to 800. lol She will finish 100 this month and start 200 in March.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Just wondering if it's working so well, why not use it the whole way through? Perhaps you've heard concerns in the upper levels?

We used teaching textbooks last year. My kids didn't like it. They spent 1/2 of this year trying to catch up because they were below grade level at the beginning of this year. (They were above grade level before we started TT.)

I also switched midway through the year to CLE. My daughter, who hated math, now loves it. I overheard her telling a friend that math was her favorite subject now. The only complaint is the time it takes. Each lesson is very long. My son is learning better with it, but it takes him over an hour to complete one math lesson. Do you find this to be true also? I'm hoping it gets better for him, because I think he is understanding math better.

I guess all that to say, I'm also considering what to use for my 7th grader next year. I love CLE and am thinking of just continuing with it unless I hear about concerns with it in the upper levels.