Menu

Has anyone heard of Vision Forum's "CollegePlus!" program?

I just got a pamphlet from them on this. It says, "CollegePlus! is a Christian organization that provides students with an innovative approach to earning their fully accredited bachelor's degrees in less time and at a fraction of the cost of traditional colleges...... Students will experience a college program specifically tailored to their learning objectives. Coaches will guide students through a three phase learning process with detailed instruction and one-on-one interaction."

It says with CollegePlus, you receive a fully accredited degree, save thousands of dollars, combine college and high school, earn a degree in two years, all with a biblical worldview.

It sounds wonderful. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it? Or possibly used it? If you have used this program, were you pleased?

(It even has a CollegePlus Prep program that prepares you for the CollegePlus program.)

I once tried to listen in on a video presentation of this that VF was offering. Unfortunately, after I registered, CollegePlus began bombarding me with phone calls and e-mails. The pressure began before I was even able to listen to the presentation! I was so turned off that I never bothered to listen. (I really only registered out of curiosity anyway; my older child lives at home and commutes to Patrick Henry College, and my younger child will probably live at home and commute to another local college.)

Sorry I can't give you more info, but I did want to warn you that they do some heavy marketing.

Kareni, thank you so much. Those threads are very informative.

So, if you go the route of CollegePlus!, how would it change your curriculum plans for high school? If you are preparing for certain exams is what I am referring to. For example, would I need a more rigorous math than MathUSee? Do you see what I mean? Or do you just study for the course using certain materials and complete the normal high school stuff the parent had planned to do? But, then, that would take so much extra time. I'm just not clear on how this thing works. Could someone clear up my confusion? :confused:

I know a couple high school grads doing CollegePlus. They didn't do anything special during high school years. One family used a lot of literature based curriculum and the other used a lot of Alpha Omega and other DVD and computer based curriculum. Both students decided that they didn't want to spend the money to sit in community college classes, and one didn't know what he wanted to study, anyway.

Both of these students started College Plus after they graduated from high school, not during high school. They speak on the phone with an advisor who motivates them and helps them stay on track. They use books to study from for specific tests, and have a basic time frame goal to complete each study book and test. They are both liking it. It suits them, and they are passing the CLEP tests.

The main thing I have seen is that the student must be personally motivated and organized to do CollegePlus. A student who needs a lot of direction and supervision may not do well. A student who procrastinates won't do well. But for a student who is motivated and learns well on his own, it can be a good option.

Do they have to do CP during High School for it to count as dual enrollment? in other words...to get credit for high school as well as college?

http://www.collegeplus.org/howitworks/faqs#20

Does this answer your question?

I don't think the dual enrollment part is a big issue if you plan to get a degree thru CP, because they aren't going to scrutinize your high school transcript.

If you do it in high school, and then end up going the traditional route, dual enrollment could be beneficial if your college will accept your CLEP credits.

Hope that makes sense.

I think CP is a great option, esp. in this day of reduced classes, increased fees, and lower financial aid due to budget cuts at colleges.

The one problem w/CP, that I see, is that it could be very difficult to change your mind mid-stream, if you decide to switch to traditional college and they won't accept the CLEP credit. None of the colleges we'd consider (UC, most CSU's-I'm in CA) do. Also, what would grad schools think about a CP degree? They say their grads have been accepted into big name grad schools, but who really knows. And it also depends on your field of study too. I could see this working well for a liberal arts major, but not so well for science/engineering with lab courses.