Menu

Chalkdust-- possible to skip using the dvds for pre-algebra? (m)

I'm making some progress on deciding on ds's math program for next year. I'm drawn toward Chalkdust Math, but I wondering if, to save money, it would be doable to just order the student book and the solutions book for next year. Is there some explanation written to the student in the student book, enough to refresh my memory at least, so that I can explain it to ds?

I would plan to use the dvds starting with Algebra 1, but if I could save that extra $200 on the prealgebra dvds, that would be a great help to our budget.

Has anyone attempted this?

Erica

I guess it depends on your experience. IMHO, the beauty of Chalk Dust IS the videos. Without Dr. Mosely it would just be another math book. I do like the books he has chosen to use but I like the videos 10x more than the books. It's his way of explaining things and his examples and quirky sense of humor that have produced the multiple "ah ha" moments around here---not anything in the book. My kids are currently using CD Pre-Algebra, Geometry and Algebra 2 (this is my 2nd child to use this program).

Have you look around to find it used? I have purchased all three of my programs plus CD Alg 1 for my sister on the used boards.

I hope that helps,

Christi

I'm making some progress on deciding on ds's math program for next year. I'm drawn toward Chalkdust Math, but I wondering if, to save money, it would be doable to just order the student book and the solutions book for next year. Is there some explanation written to the student in the student book, enough to refresh my memory at least, so that I can explain it to ds?

I would plan to use the dvds starting with Algebra 1, but if I could save that extra $200 on the prealgebra dvds, that would be a great help to our budget.

Has anyone attempted this?

Erica

Without the DVD's, the book is "just another math book," IMHO. Maybe you could look for the DVDs on ebay or another used curriculum site.

Holly

I guess it depends on your experience. IMHO, the beauty of Chalk Dust IS the videos. Without Dr. Mosely it would just be another math book.

I agree. Dr. Mosely is wonderful. DS 12 loves him! The dvds are worth every penny for this non-mathy mom. DH is mathy, thankfully, but its great that Dr. Mosely does the bulk of the formal teaching. I correct math daily, dh helps w/ missed problems/cementing concepts. We look forward to the Larson text for Alg 1 in the Fall (hint, hint for anyone who will soon be finishing up CD Alg 1).:)

heartily recommend the DVD's. I'm not sure what the pre-algebra text looks like, but we're using Chalkdust geometry, and I would be lost without the DVD's. Dr. Mosely's teaching is what makes or breaks the program; his instruction is thorough and engaging. The Larson books which is used for geometry is not nearly as thorough as what I'm used to with the Lial's series, although I'm told that many "math" people prefer it because it's more succinct in its explanations.

HTH!

Do non-math-inclined parents find this program easy to use? Is it thorough enough for college prep? My daughter will be in seventh next year and starting Pre-Algebra. I'm not that skilled in math (I majored in Literature for a reason!), and I'd like her to use the same program all the way through. Is this a good choice for us?

eta: While my hubby did college-level Calc and Trig he hasn't used much advanced math since then (a lot of rather basic Algebra though) and I'm not sure he'd be much help.

Do non-math-inclined parents find this program easy to use? QUOTE]

Yes! I am math-challenged (Broadcast Comm major) and this program is great. Doc Mosely does the teaching, I do the correcting, mathy DH does the reviewing/cementing concepts on weekends. We are on chapter 6 of Pre-Alg and it has been a wild ride for DS. He finished TT7 in Dec and was used to short, bite-sized lessons. CD is not short or bite-sized, that's for sure. We love it and plan to continue. Worth every penny!