Menu

some questions from a beginner (i.e. - "help!")

Lucy the Valiant

So I'm wanting to jump in to a WTM-based system . . . my twins are halfway through 1st grade. They are early / advanced readers, and pretty much "academically average" in the other subjects. So . . . here are my questions:

1. Spelling - can you describe what you do for spelling? Why do we need it?

2. Reading - I like the idea of timed "hard" reading on-subject, and then "free reading" of easier material later . . . I'm also wanting to move more toward "real" literature and away from (as Charlotte Mason would say) "twaddle." Two (kind of embarrassing) problems:

a. I don't always know what that is. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? Boxcar Children? Beverly Cleary? American Girls? Dear America Diaries? Are these twaddle?

b. I need some direction toward some good lists . . . the girls DEVOUR chapter books, but - a lot of the chapter books I "screen" for them from the library have content that I am not willing / wanting to introduce at this time (crushes on boys, concern about body image, etc.). Help!

3. I'm jumping into the history cycle half-way . . . this is okay, right? Start with ancient times still and kind-of catch-up over the summer / beginning of 2nd grade?

4. First Language Lessons . . . we've been doing it for about a month, but it seems REALLLLLY slow / overly repetitious for my kids. Skip some lessons?

Thank you so much in advance for your help! I love this message board (I'm usually lurking, nursing a newborn <3 ) . . . I have learned so much here and can't wait to jump on board more fully!

So I'm wanting to jump in to a WTM-based system . . . my twins are halfway through 1st grade. They are early / advanced readers, and pretty much "academically average" in the other subjects. So . . . here are my questions:

1. Spelling - can you describe what you do for spelling? Why do we need it?

My eldest was an early and advanced reader, we still did spelling. It helps cement phonics rules and gives important information that helps them decipher words in the future. Study of prefixes and suffixes being two examples.

2. Reading - I like the idea of timed "hard" reading on-subject, and then "free reading" of easier material later . . . I'm also wanting to move more toward "real" literature and away from (as Charlotte Mason would say) "twaddle." Two (kind of embarrassing) problems:

a. I don't always know what that is. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? Boxcar Children? Beverly Cleary? American Girls? Dear America Diaries? Are these twaddle?

JMO but Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and Beverly Clearly are not twaddle, the rest are. I allow my kids twaddle for their free reading, just not required reading. Sometimes, I give them twaddle-style books (such as the Dear America books) that happen to go with what we're studying.

b. I need some direction toward some good lists . . . the girls DEVOUR chapter books, but - a lot of the chapter books I "screen" for them from the library have content that I am not willing / wanting to introduce at this time (crushes on boys, concern about body image, etc.). Help!

This will always be tricky. What have your kids read? In first grade my eldest read most of the Roald Dahl books, Narnia, EB White, The Children's Homer, the little house books, The Secret Garden, etc. She also read some abridged versions of some classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson (she read the originals later).

3. I'm jumping into the history cycle half-way . . . this is okay, right? Start with ancient times still and kind-of catch-up over the summer / beginning of 2nd grade?

I vote for history in order-starting with ancients. Yes, you could catch up over the summer.

4. First Language Lessons . . . we've been doing it for about a month, but it seems REALLLLLY slow / overly repetitious for my kids. Skip some lessons?

I didn't skip lessons but I did do more than one lesson per session when it seemed appropriate.

This will always be tricky. What have your kids read? In first grade my eldest read most of the Roald Dahl books, Narnia, EB White, The Children's Homer, the little house books, The Secret Garden, etc. She also read some abridged versions of some classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson (she read the originals later).

Yep, these . . . I also have a 4yo boy so we read a fair bit about reptiles. *rolls eyes* One girlie is reading Caddie Woodlawn right now . . . the other prefers poetry (almost ALL poetry).

Just finished Indian In the Cupboard, an abridged version of Pilgrim's Progress and started Three Go Searching (Patricia St. John) in our out-loud reading.

Here are some great twaddle free book lists:

1000 Good Books

Jim Trelease

Simply Charlotte Mason

Ambleside Online (it's a free curriculum. They have great book selections)

Sonlight (another curriculum, but great book selection too...they list the reading and read-aloud levels). For readers, go to subject, readers, and the approximate reading level you're looking for.

I have a couple more listed on my blog, but these are my favorites. Also, the book Honey for a Child's Heart is a good buy (or library find) for book selections.

I can't help you much on the other stuff. I'm sure you'll get LOTS of info from others though.

HTH,

1. Spelling: We use All About Spelling. Remember that reading and spelling are two different skills. Just because someone can read well doesn't mean he/she can spell. Instruction is needed... some kids more, some less... like any skill.

2. Reading: I use this list when I'm looking for literature that's not too heavy. Still good literature, but lighter.

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

Otherwise, for school reading I usually choose something from the WTM lit. list. This is usually the reading the kids do with me because it tends to be more challenging to understand. Their independent school reading is usually taken from the list I gave you above (or something history or science related). Then, I let them choose anything they want for their "fun" reading time on their own.

3. History: I would start with ancients. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to be exactly on schedule. I have 4 kids and I keep them on the same topics for history so no one is really "on track!" (we started late according to where my eldest should be in the cycle) I figure once they get to HS we can start clean and do 4 years of history from Ancients on...

4. I don't care for FLL so I don't use it for my olders... they use Growing with Grammar. Not quite so much repetition (although the books themselves repeat concepts from year to year). You may want to check out other grammar programs if FLL isn't working for your twins. I know it would not go over well with my kids as they don't have a high tolerance for repetition.

I know you didn't ask about science, but we just started using Elemental Science which follows the guidelines for WTM and uses the recommended books. All the narration sheets are provided and there is one experiment scheduled in per week. I'm really liking it as are my kids! And our narrations are actually getting done! You might want to check it out...

http://www.elementalscience.com/index.html

Welcome to the journey! :auto:

About spelling- I don't start spelling till 2nd or 3rd grade. I do it through copywork and dictation (hate spelling lists ;)). This really works well for us. Since there are words in the passage that your child already knows how to spell it builds confidence. We use Simply Spelling book for this: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1490908

However, you can come up with your own passages. It is also a way to condence subjects.

ETA: I am starting ancients this year with my K and 3rd grader. Don't frett about catching up, just start and keep going.

Edited by coralloyd