Menu

AAS -- What supplies really needed?

Aludlam

Hi,

I've really been looking at AAS (we are revamping a lot of our hs).

At the end of the day, what supplies (books, boards, cards, etc) do you need to teach AAS?

also, I've seen the letter tiles on the website. I already have a bucket of letter tiles (non-magnetic) --- Could I just use those?

Thanks so much

Angela

I don't think I would use other tiles. The tiles are colored for the vowels and other sounds. The blends are on the same tile-sh, ch, ng, nk ect...It's easier. I think it would save you a lot of time preparing. I would get tired of digging in a bucket IMO. You could use your tiles if you really wanted to. I think it would be frusterating.:D I would get a 2x3 magnetic board. My board is not hung on the wall because I don't have wall space. It slides next to my file cabinet. I never have them falling all over the place. The board is ready to go when we do our lesson. Walmart, Target sales them for around $15.00. I have a index card holder to put the cards in like this one it runs around $10.00. I bought the larger for the next level. The starter kit has the tiles and magnets and cd. If you don't need the cd just buy the tiles and magnets. I am not sure which level you are going to use but it has the TM and student pack(cards) If you have kids that are starting to read I would get the Beehive reader. Hope that answers your questions. I am sure others will chime in also with advice.

I think you really want to get the AAS letter tiles. Here's what we have:

• Magnetic dry erase board
  • Dry erase markers and eraser (also magnetic)
  • AAS tiles with the magnetic sticky backs (totally worth the $6)
  • Teacher's manual and student packet for each level being used
  • 3 x 5 index card file box to hold the cards for each level (you cut out the cards from the student packet)

We do not have the CD and haven't missed it. We do have the Beehive Reader, which is nice, but it is not necessary.

I love AAS! :) I've got my oldest three using it right now. I love that it's non-consumable and that it's open and go.

• 3 x 5 index card file box to hold the cards for each level (you cut out the cards from the student packet)

We do not have the CD and haven't missed it.

I love AAS! :) I've got my oldest three using it right now. I love that it's non-consumable and that it's open and go.

:iagree:

Except the 3x5 card file box. Get a bigger one, like 4x6, there are a lot of cards and they fit nicer in the bigger box.

This really is one curriculum where it is easiest to buy what they say. This from a person who pieced together a Sonlight Core and two MFW cores.

We do not have the CD and haven't missed it. We do have the Beehive Reader, which is nice, but it is not necessary.

Love AAS!

And there is almost zero prep time, once you get the magnets on all the tiles and everything.

Oh, and I actually don't use the cards or the index box anymore. It was just one more thing to juggle. I just read the words straight from the book.

Love AAS!

And there is almost zero prep time, once you get the magnets on all the tiles and everything.

Oh, and I actually don't use the cards or the index box anymore. It was just one more thing to juggle. I just read the words straight from the book.

:iagree:Same here.... I have three kids using it right now (all in different levels), but I still don't use the cards. I will occasionally use the key cards to review concepts, but for the most part I have kids who don't need a ton of review. I keep a small list on the book mark in their book of words I want to review with them. Again, not a lot of need for this so it works.

I agree with the other posts on what you should get (and definitely a larger file box; I do use it for review, but not the current lessons words). You need the tiles that go with the program since they are color coded and multi-letter sounds are one one tile. I would vote for the CD however, because there are a few tricky phonograms and I think its important to get them right (like th - I didn't get the two sounds until I heard it). My $15 magnetic white board from Target is mounted on the wall; its a mixed blessing though because the tiles tend to pop off easily as we are working with them. I didn't get the reader, because my daughter was way beyond that level of reading. For a beginning reader, it might be nice; I thought it was kind of expensive.

I agree with the others and consider the tiles essential. I have other tiles, and even blend tiles, but they aren't nearly as convenient as using the whole AAS set-up. I keep a large white board tucked behind our entertainment center. For lessons, we slide it out and lay it on a blanket on the floor. I've never had an issue with tiles popping off.

Instead of an index file box, I really like those Sterilite boxes from Walmart & other places. They are only $1, they hold 2 levels of cards, and they don't crush the tabs down like a 3X5 index card box will--plus the cards are much easier to get in and out of this box! There's a picture on my blog where I show how I organize my AAS stuff. (All but the magnet board that is, which I also find very handy!).

Merry :-)

Many kids need the review that the cards provide, though. In our household, I would never be able to give up the customized review that the AAS index box system allows.:)

Except the 3x5 card file box. Get a bigger one, like 4x6, there are a lot of cards and they fit nicer in the bigger box.

This really is one curriculum where it is easiest to buy what they say. This from a person who pieced together a Sonlight Core and two MFW cores.

:iagree::iagree:

Wal-mart has the larger plastic flip-top file box for cds that works great. And they are only a dollar!

ETA: Well, I should have read the whole thread. I should have known Merry would have told you about the boxes. She is a wealth of info, and very helpful. Thanks, Merry!

Edited by mlbuchina