Menu

Rigorous Homeschooling and the Large Family

I've certainly known a few... You might like the articles listed here by Alexandra Swann and her mother, Joyce Swann: http://www.home-school.com/Articles/#ASwann This family chose a very particular approach to home schooling, and not one that I would personally choose, *but* it's a great demonstration of how one large family approached giving their children a rigorous at-home education.

And some who do not as well!

Among the ones who truly "keep up" with all of the children, there is a high degree of accountability and cooperation overlaying it all. Everyone does chores, and everyone works to make sure that everyone keeps up academically. Every child has very clear standards and goals to attain to, and the mother has regular conferences with each child to discuss these issues. Independent learning is encouraged at a fairly young age.

Among the ones who aren't keeping up, there's usually a lack of cooperation and an over-emphasis on certain children at the expense of others.

She has a PhD in early childhood education, homeschools, runs a a home day care, grinds her own wheat for bread, cooks all organically, and is THE most organized and THE most scatter-brained person I know.

Her house is clean. Her kids are intelligent, well-read, and genuinely nice people. Her kids all play at least one instrument. Her boys are in scouts. Her girls are at advanced levels of ballet. All of the olders are Red Cross certified life guards. Her kids all go on missions trips during the summers once they are in high school, and they raise the money for this themselves.

She outsources many of the high school classes, but could probably do them at home. She is amazing. She was my day care provider when I still worked during the week. She was my inspiration for homeschooling.

We have 10 and I aim for rigorous, but I don't know if I am the best to answer this question. We have been outsourcing some highschool classes and starting this coming year we will be using BJU homesat for a few subjects with all the kids. I am hoping this frees up some time for me to concentrate on other subjects.

Quiver,

I noticed many of your children are very close in age. Wondering how many grade levels you actually teach for major subjects? (ie I have 5 DC, but only math has 3 levels. Everything else is 2 grades.)

How do you manage your day? I do ok, but seek any suggestions to make schooling run even smoother.

Thanks,

Tracey

Yes, it can be done. I've seen those who do it, and do it quite well.

But there's a common thread in the families who make it work. They are usually very organized by nature, and it's not just thier schooling that runs smoothly. Long before homeschooling entered the picture, they had good time management and goal setting skills.

I think large families can homeschool and do a great job, even if they don't have the other areas down pat... but those who have really rigorous academics usually have a bit of a natural drive that carries over in other areas as well.

Quiver,

I noticed many of your children are very close in age. Wondering how many grade levels you actually teach for major subjects? (ie I have 5 DC, but only math has 3 levels. Everything else is 2 grades.)

How do you manage your day? I do ok, but seek any suggestions to make schooling run even smoother.

Thanks,

Tracey

Tracey,

My older one usually work independently and at their own level even if more than one is usuaing the same materials. We did have 2 in the same math, but they didn't do it together. They just don't like to work together LOL. For the younger ones I do teach in groups for a few thigns like writing, latin, bible, history and vocab. My 7th and 6th graders are both in Saxon 7/6 and I teach that together too.

For scheduling I plan time first thing for my highschoolers and we go over the days work, correct things or explain things they need help with. The younger ones are working independently during this and once I am done with the HSers I just rotate around helping the younger ones as needed. Then we have group time where we do the subjects in a group like latin etc.

We have five (not all school age) and we are shooting for rigorous. Here's our take on it:

1. You have to make a commitment to spend the time required for a rigorous education. It is a lot more time consuming to make sure that several children have all read their literature, discussed it with you, written a narration, etc. You almost have to view homeschooling as a job at this level, with a large family.

2. You must be organized, or trying to become more organized. Having a menu plan means you don't have to think about dinner. Having a chore schedule or chart means you only have to remember the follow-through. Lists are your best friends.

3. You may have to sacrifice outside time. Co-ops, lessons, clubs and sports are great, but if you are shuttling your kids around so much that you're often eating at a drive-through, schooling in your car, and never getting the laundry done and the house clean, you might need to think about your priorities. This is especially true when you have both older children and babies.

4. You should be aware of your dh's goals, needs, and expectations for the children, the home, etc. Most men would love it if you told them that you could have the children fluent in three languages, two of the classical, and graduated and ready to start college at 13. Men are achievers, and it's often up to Mom to keep them reigned in and say, "whoa, I want them to be excellent too, but they are just kids."

5. Don't let rigorous homeschooling make you into a dictator that "cracks the whip" and never smiles, sings, calls for a day outside because the flowers are blooming, or bakes cookies at 10 in the mornings. Throw your kids for a loop sometimes. They will think you are awesome.