Menu

Arthritis advice needed.

My husband has psoriatic arthritis. It acts similar to rheumatoid in that it is system wide rather than localized pain. It really seems to act up more during and after a virus (makes sense). Do any arthritis-sufferers have any preventative measures they take to help when they get a virus?

I have an autoimmune type of arthritis that can be triggered by viruses. (For a few years, they said I had lupus, but my latest rheumatologist said it's not that...still trying to figure out exactly what it is.)

Anyway, I don't think there is anything you can really do to prevent it from getting worse at these times. It's one reason I am really careful to avoid sick people. I had a horrible flare a few years ago after a respiratory virus...it took three months of physical therapy to totally regain the use of my hips and shoulders. So I live with a nagging fear of that happening again.

I suppose he's already taking motrin, resting, etc...all the things you can do to help alleviate the pain. They say an anti-inflammatory diet can help, too. (Google it.) I've just never had the willpower to stick to one for long!

I have autoimmune inflammatory arthritis and it always flares after an illness. WHy? Because our immune system revs up for the virus or the bacteria and keeps on being revved up after the problem is gone and instead attacks us. Is he on any disease modifying medication? I noticed that this last time was better for me and I was on ARAVA but not on the days I was sick.

He's desperately trying to avoid the prescription route. He really wants to stick to over-the-counter as long as he can. He's a pretty tough guy.

Yes, but that may be the wrong route since his joints may possibly worsen permanently without medication. Has he seen a rheumatologist? He could always get 2 opinions on the meds to give himself peace of mind.

:grouphug:

Yes, but that may be the wrong route since his joints may possibly worsen permanently without medication. Has he seen a rheumatologist? He could always get 2 opinions on the meds to give himself peace of mind.

:grouphug:

He has seen a rheumatologist (The only one in town that could see him. Otherwise we drive to UCLA). After complete body x-rays, the doctor gave him the go-ahead to stick with over-the-counter meds for at least another year. I think hubby is just worried that once he is on them, he's going to be on them forever. He doesn't have any major damage to his joints yet. I'm not sure in what ways psoriatic arthritis differs from rheumatoid. They are similar in some ways and different in others. I was hoping some relief could be found through diet but this doctor doesn't seem to think that is likely.

Edited by Daisy

He has seen a rheumatologist (The only one in town that could see him. Otherwise we drive to UCLA). After complete body x-rays, the doctor gave him the go-ahead to stick with over-the-counter meds for at least another year. I think hubby is just worried that once he is on them, he's going to be on them forever. He doesn't have any major damage to his joints yet. I'm not sure in what ways psoriatic arthritis differs from rheumatoid. They are similar in some ways and different in others. I was hoping some relief could be found through diet but this doctor doesn't seem to think that is likely.

If there is a renowned rheumatologist at UCLA, it may be worth the drive since sometimes in great medical centers they may be years ahead than local doctor's when it comes to advice and to what they can offer.