Menu

MOH users...I have a question

JenAL

Do you have any other resources that you find are helpful while doing MOH? I am planning to begin MOH Vol I this fall & I want to have additional resources available. I was thinking maybe some Usborne books? Is there something that I "just have to have"" :lol:

Hmm...I have to say, I am a tweaker, but I find MOH just right. For MOH1, we did the history cards as she suggests, it was really fun! We also did the timeline, as she suggests. We are using MOH2 now, and this time we are doing notebooking pages instead of the cards. Some days, we do an activity that she suggests...yesterday I had my son write out all the dynasties of China, as she instructed in the book. Other days, I have him write a 1-2 paragraph summary, we look on google images for a pic of the person/place/thing the lesson was about, and we cut and paste these onto colored paper to be put in the notebook. It is very simple, but fun to look back through. And other days, we do the mapping.

If you want something to add, I would suggest a good history spine, like Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. You can look up the topic in there, and get another perspective plus photos, maps, etc. I got one used for about $10, and it is HUGE and really nice! You could teach your child to outline from the encyclopedia on some days....we do that, too. Adds some variety, and is simple.

Hmm...I have to say, I am a tweaker, but I find MOH just right. For MOH1, we did the history cards as she suggests, it was really fun! We also did the timeline, as she suggests. We are using MOH2 now, and this time we are doing notebooking pages instead of the cards. Some days, we do an activity that she suggests...yesterday I had my son write out all the dynasties of China, as she instructed in the book. Other days, I have him write a 1-2 paragraph summary, we look on google images for a pic of the person/place/thing the lesson was about, and we cut and paste these onto colored paper to be put in the notebook. It is very simple, but fun to look back through. And other days, we do the mapping.

If you want something to add, I would suggest a good history spine, like Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. You can look up the topic in there, and get another perspective plus photos, maps, etc. I got one used for about $10, and it is HUGE and really nice! You could teach your child to outline from the encyclopedia on some days....we do that, too. Adds some variety, and is simple.

Hi Meg!

I know I've talked to you about this, but I always feel the need to OVERCOMPLICATE history, which is one reason I've been switching back and forth this year (TOG-SL). I really love the simplicity of MOH and am seriously thinking of using it next year. Do you add in readers for your kids? Do you think that, beefed up, it would be enough for ninth or tenth grade? Any idea when the last volume will come out?

I really need to sit and assess my goals and the reality of what I can accomplish in a day, especially with my younger ones coming up through the ranks.

Glad MOH is working for you,

Lisa

Hey Lisa-we are just 2 peas in a pod! I *BUY* all kinds of other things to use, but in reality, I end up using MOH pretty much as written. Not sure how this miracle occurs, since I can't seem to stick with TOG, SL, MFW or HOD. But I keep coming back to MOH and I actually *finish* it!

My kids are readers, so I don't specifically schedule in books. Here is how it goes in my house, I go over the bookshelf and occasionally pick up something that ties in. I don't assign reading here...I just say, oh here is a good book, why don't you read this one? And that is that. Sometimes it is related, sometimes it isnt. But I get stressed and I feel like it takes away the joy if I assign a certain amount each day. Granted, my kids love to read, so this is no problem.

I have 2 friends using MOH with high schoolers this year. One is using MOH 2 and one is using MOH1. Both are really pleased...I would say for a high schooler, I would add more outlining and reading. But it doesn't have to be complicated. Make sure to do the timeline, and the exercises/test/quizzes. There are all kinds of suggested assignments in there for older kids to deepen it. For high school, I would probably require more writing, because I like our writing to be history related, and I dont use a sep writing program. You could require a one page summary a couple times a week, or have them do independent research on a topic each week, and expand on it. And outline. Presto!

I have no idea when MOH 4 will be out, but I can't make decisions based on that. Who knows what I will be using then, LOL! I am too unpredictable to worry in that way. I can enjoy 3 good years and then see what happens...

Oh, and I know you sold your copy, but I just got All through the Ages, and I plan to use that to guide us to book selections for the time period. Although, I already have tons on my shelf! If my kids did not just read stuff on their own, yes, I would assign readings to go along, according to the time period. I would keep it general....you can't do a book for every MOH lesson! But just pick and choose what you have, or what topics your library has, or buy according to which topics seem most interesting to your child.

Not sure what ages you are teaching, but we pretty much just use MOH. I read the reading for the day, then the kids narrate (younger 2 draw pictures, older two write). We do the timeline and map work (modified for young children) and that's it. We don't do any activities. I'm hoping to continue to use MOH all the way through. I'm sure at the HS level you'd want to add in some other things, but I'm not even sure at the Logic level you'd need to??? Level 2 is VERY beefy in my opinion (maybe because my kids are so young), Level 1 seemed about right for us.

My kids are young, too. I'd be using it with 4th, 2nd, & K'er. I plan to do the MOH reading, the folderbooks (for the older 2), & the timeline. I was thinking it would be nice to have something like the Usborne Encyclopedia or the Kingfisher as mentioned above. I thought it would be nice to have something with interesting pictures to show the kids. I was thinking that MOH would be enough by itself especially with the timeline & folderbooks added in. However, having pictures to show them that deal with what we are reading about may help me keep their attention. :001_smile:

So, which do you prefer...Kingfisher Enc. or the Usborne? I'm also considering getting one or the other science Encyclopedia as well to help our science studies.

I have both Usborne ones (sci and history, both internet linked). I also just got the Kingfisher one, the 1993 white one that Susan Wise Bauer recommended as being better for teaching outlining. I read it was better than the new KF one...and you can get it on amazon. I will compare both and LYK which I like better...

I have the Usborne Internet Linked Encyc of World History, and UILE of Science.

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Encyclopedia-World-History/dp/0794503322/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264816258&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Encyclopedia-Usborne-Internet-Linked-Discovery/dp/0794503314/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264816258&sr=8-3

And this is the KF one I heard was best...

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-Illustrated-History-World-Present/dp/1856978621/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264816389&sr=1-2

(see the used ones, from $9.16)

Here is the newer KF one, probably great, too, I just read the other one was preferred...

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Kingfisher+History+Encyclopedia+%28revised%29/003618/1264816486-1235510

I havent looked at them together yet will do that for you tomorrow. I got the white KF one last week, because I want to teach outlining to my almost 5th grader.

My kids are similar in age to yours...almost 10, 7 and 2.5

I wanted to let you know about a site that has some great photos of places in the bible. http://www.bibleplaces.com/index.htm

Also, have you joined the MOH 1 yahoo group? There are some helpful things there as well. Other activity ideas, book lists, schedules, etc.

One book that we really liked was What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs by John Morris and Ken Ham. I know there were several others, but that is the only one that is coming to mind right now. Dd is now on volume 3, so it has been a little while since we did volume 1.

Enjoy your journey through MOH. We have loved it here in our house.

I have no idea when MOH 4 will be out, but I can't make decisions based on that. Who knows what I will be using then, LOL! I am too unpredictable to worry in that way. I can enjoy 3 good years and then see what happens...

Linda is about 1/3 of the way through volume 4 now. So, still quite a ways to go. However, volume 3 is even meatier than volume 2. The maturity level is higher as well. You could easily take longer than a year to work through volume 3 with younger kids if you wanted to.

Oh, and here is the link to the MOH 2 yahoo group if you don't already have it. Again, some great stuff there.

Oops, I'm sorry. You weren't the one that originally brought up the completion of volume 4.

Edited by atozmom

Hi Meg!

I know I've talked to you about this, but I always feel the need to OVERCOMPLICATE history, which is one reason I've been switching back and forth this year (TOG-SL). I really love the simplicity of MOH and am seriously thinking of using it next year. Do you add in readers for your kids? Do you think that, beefed up, it would be enough for ninth or tenth grade? Any idea when the last volume will come out?

I really need to sit and assess my goals and the reality of what I can accomplish in a day, especially with my younger ones coming up through the ranks.

Glad MOH is working for you,

Lisa

I have too many yahoo groups. :lol: But there is one for MOH high schoolers to. There are a lot of people using all levels of MOH for high school. Volume 3 has been dd's favorite by far. Although she has loved the entire series. After volume 3 is a great time to pick up American History. I know many say they will be doing this before volume 4 comes out.

The maps are included in the back of the book, and at the end of each week (or every 3 lessons), she has a section called SomeWHERE in Time. She gives step by step directions for using the maps as they relate to one or more of the week's lessons. She recommends a Bible Atlas (it was $7 on amazon). For MOH 1, we used that atlas, the MOH book, and I used the audio CDs just for days when we were in the car a lot. We didn't need any additional resources. Though I do occasionally pull out the laptop and look up interesting things mentioned in the lessons, using google images. My kids love that!

The yahoo groups have awesome helps in the files...how to combine MOH with other programs, book suggestions, timeline helps, memory card helps. I posted pics of my son's first memory cards there...so cute!

I used the folding sewing board timeline that she recommended, with the homeschoolinthewoods.com figures. It is nice to have a large timeline, but be able to fold it up and put it away. Instructions for making it are in the MOH1 book. So, we basically use MOH exactly as she describes. We read the lessons, sometimes do activities (but sometimes not), we do all the quizzes and tests included in the book, we did the memory cards and LOVED this...this is a wayto really add depth, in my opinion. And the timeline and mapping. It makes for a pretty full program! You think when you look at this all-in-one guide that you must need MORE, but really, it is a LOT included in that book, for a VERY reasonable price!

As for after year 3? There is All American History out by the same publisher. I have thought about doing a year of Bob Jones history (shocking, but it looks fun actually, and covers the right time period). Those are my thoughts on what *I* might do.

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks so much Lovetobehome. I love the idea of looking up places with google images.

MOH really does sound full in itself. So can you tell me, do you add in extra literature to go along with the history.. you know like SL or WP does?

For the timeline you mentioned, did you buy the CD with all the figures from HS in the woods?

Thanks.

I already had that cd, and I liked using it! But Linda gives instructions on how to make timeline figures and how to decorate them in a simple way that makes them meaningful. Again, in the guide. Basically, you cut out a bunch of simple figures and keep them ready to use. More later on the books...my kids justbrought me breakfast!

You saying that caused me to go look them up! Here they are, can't believe how long ago that was! 3 years ago!!! He was just 6 then! When I see his drawing and writing, I see how far he has come! Here is a link in case anyone else wants to see my little lovey's work from years gone by...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysteryofHistory1/files/Ideas%20for%20memory%20cards/Memory%20Cards%20my%20son%20made/

I wish we had just stuck with MOH. Instead, I tried several different things, but I keep coming back to MOH. We'll finish MOH2 in May!

do you add in extra literature to go along with the history

We add in extra literature to go along with the time period we are studying. I have been wanting the book you mentioned lovetobehome, All Through the Ages. I have used SL catalogue for ideas, the yahoo groups, A Book in Time, Paula's Archives, and this one.

I wish we had just stuck with MOH. Instead, I tried several different things, but I keep coming back to MOH. We'll finish MOH2 in May!

How is your 2nd grader doing with it? My ds will be in second next year. Right now we are just all kinds of living books and he is enjoying that. But I keep wondering how he would do. We would be on the time period of volume 2 next year.

My 2nd grader is doing well with MOH2, I think having the cds helps because we can read it once, and then later in the day, as they work on some coloring page (google images), I can play it for her to listen again. I don't have her do very much, though. She doesn't do the tests or quizzes or anything...I expect much less from her. If we do a notebook page, I might write out a couple sentences for her to copy, or I might ask her to tell me what she remembers and then I write it out and have her copy it. She likes picking out an image, and coloring it (we don't have a color printer anyway), and then titling/dating it and glueing it onto construction paper.

Interesting to look back and see my son who was then 6, was expected to do the memory cards...but I expect less of DD as the second child! I will have to ponder that! I know I pushed him, but I tend to not expect enough from her. Anyway, I digress...

Linda covers things in a gentle way, and generally warns you if there is something really violent coming...so you can skip over those paragraphs with younger ones...she put it STOP READING HERE... and CONTINUE READING HERE....it helps! Though I generally read it anyway. She gets less filtering being a second child!

On another topic, I have the KF and Usborne books here... the KF one is twice as thick, about 800 pages as opposed to Usborne's 400.

Usborne's internet links aren't ALL THAT. They don't put them on the pages you are reading, they are included at the beginning of each section. So at the start of the MEDIEVAL section of the book, they tell you to go to usborne-quicklinks.com and enter key word history. Then there are 20 websites. You could use this feature without having the book. Just bookmark that site.

KF has more text, but not a ton...it flows better for sure. Usborne is choppier, but has more pictures. But not a LOT more. I have had the Usborne ones for many years. I bet you can see samples of both at Rainbow's site.

The other main difference is KF has about 1/4 of the 2 page spread as a timeline with a short paragraph about happenings during that time. It is a very cool feature, I like it a lot. I guess they are both neat, really well done, and inexpensive. If I were choosing one, I think I would probably get the KF, but really I could be hppy with either!

I just looked up a topic of interest to me, being an Orthodox Christian. It is the Great Schism, when in 1054 the Christian Church underwent its first split. Until this time, there was one united church. In 1054, the church split, and we had our very first 2 denominations... the Roman Catholic Church and the Church that had existed before, which we now call the Orthodox Church. Anyway, I don't particularly like either book's telling of the events, but Usborne handles it in 3 sentences. KF spends 2 pages on it, and includes a lot more detail. So, I think KF has more depth...understandable since it is twice as many pages!

We have to keep our lesson so short to hold his attention, I wonder how he would do with it. We already own the book, maybe I will just read a couple of sections to him and see how he does. Dd was much older when we went through volume 2, so I have no experience using it with younger ages. I do remember the warnings in vol 2. They are also there in volume 3. Dd is using that now. I think the maturity level is much higher in volume 3. The lessons are longer as well. If you plan on using it next year, you could probably stretch it longer than a year. There are no audios out for it yet. I am not sure when they expect those to be ready. It is a beautiful book! I read it before dd even started using it. :lol: I loved it. It will be hard to move on to something else next year. Linda has spoiled us with MOH.

We add videos - we read about Joseph and watched "Joseph King of Dreams," we read about Moses and watched "Prince of Egypt," we read about Amenhotep & Nefertiti and watched "Nefertiti Resurrected," etc.....

My DD10 is very observational or event-oriented and remembers for years the things that happen or things she watches (tv or in person). So the videos really make history click for her. My DD13, OTH, remembers what she reads so for her we add lots of books to her history lessons.

Page 2 of this thread has some excellent suggestions:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149615

Videos are a great idea...we don't use a lot of videos in our home, so that would be a really fun treat for mykids! I would love to do that as our family night friday thing....maybe someone somewhere has a list of netflix movies you can order...I would pay for a subscription if I knew what movies to get to tie in to history!

How funny! Yes, I LOVE Barbara Shukin's History Portfolios! I met her at a conference last year, and am going back this year to buy more. I have her Journaling Through the Liturgical Year portfolio, the nature one, Ancients, Modern...but I need to get Medieval and Renaissance. I am trying to decide if I should order them now...but as I look at them, I wonder if I will actually use them with MOH or not. There is a lot to MOH already, and there is mapping already. SO I am trying to decide...I keep putting them in my cart, and then taking them out. Do you have the medieval one? Do the topics line up really well with MOH2? THANKS, this is so timely for me!

ETA: I have an extra of the Ancient History Portfolio, should anyone want to try it!

Guest aquiverfull

Lovetobehome...thanks so much for answering my questions. I loved your son's cards, so adorable!

I have thought about using those history portfolios, they look awesome. I've really been wanting to have my dd do more notebooking, but never really sure how to go about it. Those portfolios look very well put together.

Sure! I have sick kiddos, so I am spending time sitting here with them in bed, with my laptop....

The History Portfolios are beautiful, but I think you really need the TM to go with them. For those using MOH, or considering it, I want to add that these would be fun if you ave bucks to burn, but really they just repeat what Linda suggests in MOH anyway. You write summaries, like you would do on the back of the memory cards. You draw pics or color in her line drawings, again what you would do on the front of the memory cards. Mapping is covered verywell already in MOH with the maps and assignments provided for you, broken into easy steps. And there is a timeline in the back...but again, Linda has instructions for a timeline in her book. So while the portfolios are wonderful, they are not needed, they would just be another way of recording the same info, in a pretty format. My kids might like that, they are currently using the Journaling Through the Liturgical Year one, and we enjoy it. But, they also like making our own pages simply, and tossing it into a notebook along with the MOH maps and assignments, quizzes, exercises, etc. I don't want anyone to think you need to add this on to make MOH awesome--it is awesome on its own.

Guest aquiverfull

Thank you! That is very helpful. Well then it sounds like I can save some money. I'd rather put that money into more books if MOH does basically the same things. I know I want to use MOH next year. So now I just have to figure out if I want to add it to SL Core 6 (stretching it for more than a year) or just choose things out of Core 6 to add to MOH.

The things I want in SL are the readers and read-alouds. I know I can add them to MOH. But I also love the SL maps and discussion questions/vocabulary for the Readers. The problem is I'm so hesitant to buy another guide. Too many times in the past, I have spent money on a teacher's guide and ditched it pretty quickly. It always ends up being a wasted purchase.

They way you described the maps in MOH sounds great. If MOH covers mapping and some discussion questions too, perhaps it will be everything I want, and won't feel I need SL for that. Any thoughts?

Yep, I have an opinion....you know what they say about opinions, so take it with a grain of salt...

I wouldn't add SL to it. I would just use the SL catalog as a guide to books to pick up or get at the library. I tried to add MFW to MOH, big disaster. I decided then to ditch MOH because it was impossible to do both well, and I felt frustrated doing NEITHER fully. Then I only lasted with MFW for a few weeks, then tried yet another program. So glad to be back with MOH though.

Another idea...buy a really old IG for SL 6. They can be verycheap, and are basically the same thing. But, if you do that, don't let it take over! You won't need the SL maps, MOH has mapping every week. I don't think you'll need the guides for questions...I have used SL for that before. I think it is better to just have the kiddos narrate about a reading, and take it from there.

Like I said, only my opinion, and I am no expert, we all have to figure out what works best for our little ones (and ourselves)!

I have to agree with lovedtobehome. I know the temptation all too well of adding and tweaking. I have used every curriculum out there and wouldn't leave them alone. Now we are with MOH and we are doing it as written and getting it done and enjoying it. It is the right amount of activites without putting so much emphasis of our day on history.

Christa

So Christa, and others...help me here...I am teetering on ordering those History Portfolios!! They are so awesome, I would get the Medieval one and the Medieval Junior for my daughter. My fear is that I may be overly complicating...what do you all think? I can't tell if the fact that it isnt in the same order as MOH will make it more work for me...on the other hand, they would make such a memorable way of recording all this, and we'd probably keep them forever.

Those would be tempting, but the cost would stop me. I think I would try something similar on my own. You could always color and label the MOH maps. Instead of doing timeline cards, you could do timeline notebooking pages. There are several sites that have lined paper of several sizes and styles you can print. Buy computer paper that looks like parchment and print on that. You could even cut the paper into smaller sizes like some on the History Portfolios. Then mount on colored cardstock. Anytime I want a coloring page, I google it. Ex: "knight coloring page." I usually come up with several options. Google images is another good place to look for coloring pages. You could also enlarge the timeline figures and color those. Let your children draw something out of the lesson. Your sons drawings were awesome. Also take pictures of whatever craft you do from the activities in the book and then mount them in your notebook.

Just some thoughts. I am always having to do things to save money, so we usually end up doing our own version of things.

I have plans to purchase the folderbooks. That's if my budget allows. :001_smile: It will be the first thing cut if I go over budget on school this year. Thanks, everyone for sharing your ideas & such. This thread has proved most helpful.

Guest aquiverfull
Yep, I have an opinion....you know what they say about opinions, so take it with a grain of salt...

I wouldn't add SL to it. I would just use the SL catalog as a guide to books to pick up or get at the library. I tried to add MFW to MOH, big disaster. I decided then to ditch MOH because it was impossible to do both well, and I felt frustrated doing NEITHER fully. Then I only lasted with MFW for a few weeks, then tried yet another program. So glad to be back with MOH though.

Another idea...buy a really old IG for SL 6. They can be verycheap, and are basically the same thing. But, if you do that, don't let it take over! You won't need the SL maps, MOH has mapping every week. I don't think you'll need the guides for questions...I have used SL for that before. I think it is better to just have the kiddos narrate about a reading, and take it from there.

Like I said, only my opinion, and I am no expert, we all have to figure out what works best for our little ones (and ourselves)!

No, I don't mind you stating your opinion at all. :)

I love people to tell it like it is..lol.

Plus, I really think you are right. I just can't see buying an IG that I'll get very little use out of. I like the idea of narration, I have my dd do this now. I plan on reading the books before my dd does, and I can write down questions on my own. I printed out those questions from that website someone gave the other day on Applying Bloom's Taxonomy just to help with this. It will also be easy to pick out vocab words for my dd on my own. I also tried MFW and used it only for a few weeks. I just didn't like it at all.

MOH sounds much fuller than I expected. I did not realize that MOH had mapping weekly. That will be enough for me. :) However, I will be using this for a 6th grader. I have heard people say that MOH is very light. So I was going to beef it up with extra readings and notebooking pages. I'm also considering adding in SOTW 1. Have you used SOTW with MOH?

What are the folder books like? Are they similar to lapbooking?