Menu

Character Training Read-Alouds for 11yo boy

Looking forward to reading the responses you get. Have you checked out this website? http://charactercounts.org/resources/booklist_search.php

Here are a few we have enjoyed. These are books he can read independently or y'all can read together aloud.

Sign of the Beaver

Certain Grimms Fairy Tales (preview these as some are not appropriate. My boys love these, though. Can get them on MP3 free on librivox.org.)

Narnia series

Hornblower series

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Nick of Time

Below is a list that I found but couldn't link to. Might help you.

Children’s Books That Build Character

Respect Tolerance

Black Like Kyra/White Like Me by Judith Vigna (K-3) But Names Will Never Hurt Me by Bernard Waber (K-2)

Tillo by Beatrix Scharen (K-3) respect for animals All the Colors of the Earth by Sheila Hamanaka (K-2)

Dragonfly’s Tale by Kristina Rodanas (1-6), Old Henry by Joan W. Blos (K-3)

respect for nature’s gifts The Araboolies of Liberty Street by Sam Swope (2-3)

Who Owns the Sun by Stacy Chbosky (1-6) Baseball Saved Us by Ken Mochizuki (3-6)

Sour Land by William Armstrong (4-6) Come Home With Me by Aylette Jenness (3-6)

Brother Eagle, Sister Sky by Chief Seattle (3-6) Autumn Street by Lois Lowry (4-6)

Through Grandpa’s Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan (3-4) Stay Away from Simon by Carol Carrick (2-5)

Respect for the handicap

The Cay by Theodore Taylor (5-6), respect for all races Perseverance

Oliver Button is a Sissy by Tomie dePaola (K-2)

Tillie and the Wall by Leo Lionni (K-2)

Responsibility

Growing Up is Hard Sometimes by Barbara Hazen (K-3) Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle (K-2)

Best Mom in the World by Judy Delton (K-3) Boy Who Held Back the Sea Lenny Hort (1-4)

Pony Champions by Elizabeth Sutton (3-4) Peppe the Lamplighter by Elisa Bartone (2-4)

Bently and Egg by William Joyce (K-3) Journey to Freedom by Courtni Wright (2-6)

Pass the Quill by Robert Quackenbush (3-6)

Trumpet of the Swan E.B. White (3-6)

On My Honor by Dane Bauer (5-6) Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of Nimh by Robert O’Brien (5-6)

A Dog on Barkham Street by Mary Stolz (4-6)

Children’s Book of Virtues by William Bennett, Friendship

pp.31-53 The Friend by John Burningham (K-1)

A Friend Can Help by Terry Berger (K-1)

Friends by Helme Heine (K-2)

Thankfulness

I Never Say I’m Thankful, But I Am by Jane Belk Crabby Gabby by Stephen Cosgrove (2-3)

Doodle Flute by Daniel Pinkwater (2-3)

Moncure (K-2)

My Mama Had A Dancing Heart by Libba Gray (K-2) A Friend LikeThat by Alfred Slote (4-6)

Petunia, I Love You by Roger Duvoisin (K-3) Blue Heron by Avi (5-6)

Little Pig, Big Trouble by Eve Tharlet (1-2) Being Danny’s Dog by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (4-6)

Grandpa, Me & Our House in the Tree by Barbara Kirk

(1-3)

Honesty

Going West by Jean Van Leevwen (2-4) Honesty by Jane Moncure (K-2)

Molly’s Pilgrim by Barbara Cohen (2-4) Dragon’s Robe by D. Lattimore (K-3)

The Plymouth Thanksgiving by Leonard Weisgard (3-4) Emperor’s New Clothes by Hans C. Anderson (K-3)

A Day’s Work by Eve Bunting (1-3)

Hamburg by Nina Bawder (3-6)

Kindness

The Lion and the Mouse by Aesop (K-3) On My Honor by Marion Bauer (4-6)

Please, Thanks, I’m Sorry by Jane Moncure (K-1) The Cybil War by Betsy Byars (4-6)

Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughter by John Steptoe (1-6) One Eyed Cat by Paula Fox (5-6)

Catwings by Ursula Le Guin (1-6)

The Gold Coin by Alma Ada (2-6) Cooperation

Sweetgrass by Jan Hudson (3-6) A Chair for My Mother by Vera Williams (K-2)

Terrible Wave by Marden Dahlstedt (3-6) Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy (K-2)

Sour Land William Armstrong (5-6) A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (K-6)

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (6) How My Parents Learned to Eat by Ina Freidman (1-3)

The Quitting Deal by Tobi Tobias (1-3)

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (4-6)

Self-Control

The Best of Prize of All by Mark Taylor (K-2) Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford (4-6)

Addie Saves the Day by Connie Porter (4-6)

Self-Control by Henrietta Gambell (K-2)

How I Feel by June Behrens (K-2)

http://www.charactercounts.org/booklist1.htmDon’t Pop

Your Cork on Mondays by Adolph Moser (1-3)

Sugar Gum Tree by Patricia Wrightson (1-3)

The Rag Coat by Lauren Nills (2-3)

Great Gilly Hopkins byKatherine Paterson (4-6)

Sometimes It’s Up by Ruth Carlsen (4-6)

Edited by MSNative
formatting

We love William Bennett's Book of Virtues. There are several options--a picture book type of anthology (actually several--Children's Book of Virtues, Children's Book of Heroes, and others), one for teenage level, and the adult level. We have all of them...around 10-12 'virtues' (Compassion, Work & Responsibility, Honesty) are presented with several pages of true stories, legends, poetry, etc to teach that virtue.

It might qualify as curriculum, but my son that age loves the stories in his reading text from CLE. The stories are focused on the theme of courage in the 6th grade book. It is an inexpensive text with a great variety of stories that are character building. The book itself doesn't contain any 'work'--just the stories. The 'work' is in another book.

=)

I just checked out What Stories Does My Son Need? from the library. I highly recommend it! It gives lists of movies and books divided by age level. There is a brief summary of each book as well as "discussion starter" questions to get your kids thinking more about the deeper character issues. (The questions aren't too contrived but seem very natural, and helps those like me who need a good starting place.)

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers and Man of the Family by Ralph Moody.

I echo this one! We loved it. There is some profanity in it, so I opted to read it out loud instead of getting it on CD.

We also love the Book of Virtues, but it is cumbersome because it is huge!

We just finished reading the biography of George Mueller by Janet and Geoff Benge. We love all of their books, but this one is particularly suitable for boys because it takes on boy of very bad character and shows how he can be totally changed by the hand of a Living God. Excellent story.

We Ds11 and I reading through Created for Work together and discussing it as we go. When we finish that one we are going to do Boyhood and Beyond. They are not exactly curriculum, but not fictional books either. It has a little story followed by a few questions to take about that trait and why it is important for a young Christian boy to be learning it.

It might qualify as curriculum, but my son that age loves the stories in his reading text from CLE. The stories are focused on the theme of courage in the 6th grade book. It is an inexpensive text with a great variety of stories that are character building. The book itself doesn't contain any 'work'--just the stories. The 'work' is in another book.

=)

We use CLE 6 as our reading curriculum and love it. :)

Some books that came to mind:

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

Little Britches

Created for Work, Boyhood and Beyond, and Practical Happiness by Bob Schultz (I leaned so much while reading them through with my son, he addresses proper attitude, how to deal with conflict and failure, diligence, and even how to prepare for marriage)

Christian Heroes Then and Nowseries(we just finished Hudson Taylor and Eric Liddell, I was very very moved many times during the read-aloud. Ds finished the books ahead of me because he couldn't wait for me to read)