Menu

Lial's BCM or CLE for grade 6

HollyDay

I don't know what concepts MUS uses but I can give you some information. I have BCM and it is a college text. Not hard but busy with small print and a good number of exercises. I haven't used it but there appears to be a cumulative review exercise at the end of each chapter. There would not be any built in daily work.

I have looked at the CLE samples on their website and they appear to have more daily review along with introduction to new concepts. The CLE math would also be more busy parent friendly but I do not know if they teach concepts adequately.

I do not know how they compare in scope and sequence. I know CLE has their posted on their website. BCM starts very basic but it does move into some geometry, basic algebra, and statistics in the last chapters.

HTH

Edited by Blossom'sGirl
That sentence would fail a diagram.

Just as the other person said, BCM is a busy, college text. It's not homeschool friendly (not open & go, clear lessons & problem sets, etc.) and doesn't have enough continuous review.

CLE math is excellent! Look at the samples for grade 6 & 7 at clp.org and the scope & sequence charts under support materials.

we have been deciding between Saxon and BCM for 7th.

After giving Saxon a good try, we have decided to go with BCM. I think BCM will systematically allow us to find any gaps from our previous years with various publishers.

Although I really like teaching from Saxon, I was beginning to find the explanations were not quite clear sometimes and ds was feeling confused. We were regularly referring to our BCM book for a better explanation, so I figured we might as well use the clearer presentation.

BCM does not have daily review of everything, but does have lots of review at the end of each chapter over all topics previously taught. You could even re-use some of the reviews as you go through the book just to make sure nothing is forgotten.

hth,

Robin

Commiserating here, Holly. 12yo ds is presently using MUS Zeta (and he started in Gamma in 3rd), but I think he needs more review than they have. CLE is on the short list for us next year, but I'm afraid he'd test into a lower grade. [sigh]

Don't let that deter you. I looked at what Dot is doing in 100, and it actually corresponds to the 2nd grade SOLS for our state. the upper grades are pretty much the same way, AND you can move through the material more quickly if you need to do so because they built a lot of "extra" time into the year for snow days, holidays, etc. Each math LU has 17 lessons - but two of those are quizes and a third is the final test, leaving 14 actual lessons. I tend to combine a quiz with the lesson after it (so, quiz one is taken, then the child does the next lesson) so at that point you're down to 12 actual days of lessons. Some lessons can be combined, as well. If need be, you can accelerate the program and finish two levels in a 12-month period.

Hello ~

Jann in TX graciously helped me resolve this issue (we are currently using Rod and Staff and LOF.) Jann suggested completing R&S through 7th then switching to Lials. According to Jann, many try to push math too quickly before the child's mind is ready for certain concepts.

After our discussion, I feel great confidence in Jann's postion on the issus as she is a math teacher and has homeschooled two children. *PLEASE bare in mind that my DD is not going to pursue the pre-cal before college route.

If your child is math inclined you may want to use Lials in 6th (which was my original thought) but if not, you may choose to wait until 7th (which is what we have decided to do!)

Hope this helps~

Dina :001_smile:

Don't let that deter you. I looked at what Dot is doing in 100, and it actually corresponds to the 2nd grade SOLS for our state. the upper grades are pretty much the same way, AND you can move through the material more quickly if you need to do so because they built a lot of "extra" time into the year for snow days, holidays, etc. Each math LU has 17 lessons - but two of those are quizes and a third is the final test, leaving 14 actual lessons. I tend to combine a quiz with the lesson after it (so, quiz one is taken, then the child does the next lesson) so at that point you're down to 12 actual days of lessons. Some lessons can be combined, as well. If need be, you can accelerate the program and finish two levels in a 12-month period.

Thank you, Becky.

I'm actually using it for my 9yo 4th grader and he's in the 300 level. He is flourishing with it, and that's the very reason I'm considering it for my 12yo. However, he is so much more self-conscious about levels and grades. Maybe I could just try one Lightunit with him after he completes MUS Zeta? I typically have them working on math through the summer anyway.

Thanks again for the encouragement. :)

Thank you, Becky.

I'm actually using it for my 9yo 4th grader and he's in the 300 level. He is flourishing with it, and that's the very reason I'm considering it for my 12yo. However, he is so much more self-conscious about levels and grades. Maybe I could just try one Lightunit with him after he completes MUS Zeta? I typically have them working on math through the summer anyway.

Thanks again for the encouragement. :)

Wacko was slightly perturbed about using the 500 level in the 6th grade, so I made a point of explaining to him how it really is not equivalent to public school 5th grade at all. Once he understood that even though it's the 500 level, it's 6th grade work, he was okay with it.

You can look up the SOLs for your state and show him how it compares to the scope & sequence for the "previous" year's level of CLE. (For example, pull the 5th grade SOLs and compare it to the 400 level S&S.)