Menu

English Tutoring Suggestions Please

I have agreed to tutor a 40 year old single mother pursuing an associates degree in business. She needs major help in grammar and writing. I plan to use Easy Grammar Plus and IEW units 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8. Does anyone have any advice or ideas about what else I should be doing or using for her. She is currently taking a business communication class and getting slammed by the professor for her lack of grammar, editing, and word choices. In a couple of weeks she will be starting Critical Thinking and Effective Essay Writing.

I would suggest skipping the curriculum, partly because there isn't time for all of that. What I would do is have her write papers and then I would re-write them with her. For example, have her write an informational paper then sit down and re-type it with her. Ask leading questions "what are you trying to say here?" Explain why one must use active voice instead of passive voice, show her the difference, explain the reasons behind word choices as you go.

I would re-write one of each type of paper-informational, comparison, persuasive-with her. I would then have her write one of each completely on her own, point out things she can do better and have her re-write on her own. I bet that, alone, will vastly improve her writing skills. Adults are usually pretty quick studies.

Your approach sounds like a great plan. Have you thought of adding in Fix-It or Editor in Chief? I'm not sure when I would add them to the mix though.

Carole

I just ordered Editor and Chief on CD-Rom for my son so that maybe just the ticket! Her writing is so convoluted and full of mispelled words that using your suggestion would work until she is more comfortable editing her own papers without getting so discouraged.

I would suggest skipping the curriculum, partly because there isn't time for all of that. What I would do is have her write papers and then I would re-write them with her. For example, have her write an informational paper then sit down and re-type it with her. Ask leading questions "what are you trying to say here?" Explain why one must use active voice instead of passive voice, show her the difference, explain the reasons behind word choices as you go.

I would re-write one of each type of paper-informational, comparison, persuasive-with her. I would then have her write one of each completely on her own, point out things she can do better and have her re-write on her own. I bet that, alone, will vastly improve her writing skills. Adults are usually pretty quick studies.

Pam and Mrs. Mungo the plan is to do mini-lessons in grammar and writing using her assignments and then sit with her and edit her papers together at the computer and occassionally mix end some Editor in Chief. We have about 1 1/2 hrs 3-4 days per week. Does this seem doable? Anything else I should do?

Pam and Mrs. Mungo the plan is to do mini-lessons in grammar and writing using her assignments and then sit with her and edit her papers together at the computer and occassionally mix end some Editor in Chief. We have about 1 1/2 hrs 3-4 days per week. Does this seem doable? Anything else I should do?

It sounds do-able and I think I would stick with that as long as she seems to be improving.

:iagree::iagree: