Menu

Finding a balance between too much math and not enough

Halcyon

Hi! My 7 yo DS has been doing k12.com 3rd grade math using the Sadlier Oxford text (spiral method) and was finding it onerous--too much repetition, too much drill work, not enough word problems. I too wanted him to approach math more holistically, so we recently switched to Singapore -he placed into 3A but I wanted him to learn the 'singapore" approach more slowly so I have him doing 2B work.

Now we seem to have the problem that he's finishing him math in about 10 minutes and says "it's not enough"! I'd have him just go ahead and do more lessons each day, but I really want him to slow down and focus on mastering his basics thoroughly, and I really don't want him to speed through his math work. At the same time, I don't just want to give him drill sheet after drill sheet.

We have recently purchased RightStart games which I hope will arrive soon and provide him with the extra 'work' he needs to master his facts while still having fun. Can others give advice/opinions? Thanks!

Edited by Halcyon

With Singapore, be sure you're doing the textbook and the workbook. We also do Intensive Practice for more practice - and on some of the more basic topics, I pick up extra workbooks (Kumon, Spectrum) to give for more drill. We're also doing drill with the DS (Personal Trainer: Math) to work on basic facts and speed.

Hi! My 7 yo DS has been doing k12.com 3rd grade math using the Sadlier Oxford text (spiral method) and was finding it onerous--too much repetition, too much drill work, not enough word problems. I too wanted him to approach math more holistically, so we recently switched to Singapore -he placed into 3A but I wanted him to learn the 'singapore" approach more slowly so I have him doing 2B work.

Now we seem to have the problem that he's finishing him math in about 10 minutes and says "it's not enough"! I'd have him just go ahead and do more lessons each day, but I really want him to slow down and focus on mastering his basics thoroughly, and I really don't want him to speed through his math work. At the same time, I don't just want to give him drill sheet after drill sheet.

We have recently purchased RightStart games which I hope will arrive soon and provide him with the extra 'work' he needs to master his facts while still having fun. Can others give advice/opinions? Thanks!

Are you using the Home Instructor Guide? I know that the Singapore Standards edition has a lot of extra activities and mental math in the HIG that help to re-enforce the basics and the Singapore way;) Plus I really recommend IP and they are coming out with Singapore Challenging Word Problems again this year;).