Menu

Ok, now what?

I'm just realizing that two of my kids are gifted...one across the board, but more strongly in language, and one in math. I always knew they were bright, but it never occurred to me that they were gifted - and now I don't know what to do.

I've signed one up for Duke TIP, and will be signing the other up for EPGY open enrollment. How do I teach them on a daily basis so that they can reach their potential, but not miss concepts or get the love of learning burned out of them? Right now I am using grade level curriculum for them (although I just ordered one grade up in math for ds). Do I just accelerate through what we have, maybe do the lessons orally and give the tests then move on? Neither one of them *loves* school. They'd much rather be playing.

I don't feel the need to rush them through school, but I don't want to hold them back either.....and I don't want them to get used to having an easy time with their work, because there may come a time when they have to study harder, and I want them to have the skills for it (and for it not to be a shock).

Sorry this is a ramble. I'm still a little surprised, and a lot apprehensive! I hope I can keep up.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm just realizing that two of my kids are gifted...one across the board, but more strongly in language, and one in math. I always knew they were bright, but it never occurred to me that they were gifted - and now I don't know what to do.

Gifted is a matter of comparison... Your kids aren't any different than they were before you knew, it's more that you've found out that what they are isn't average.

But you don't have to change anything. If what you're doing is working and everyone is reasonably happy (that they'd rather be playing is entirely to be expected... LOL), then just keep on with that. Don't worry about potential -- no one really "reaches their potential" insofar as squeezing every last drop out of what they could possibly do. I like to think of it more as rising to a challenge. You don't want any kid (gifted or not) to coast through without making an effort, or to make it through school without ever being stretched a little beyond their comfort zone, but mostly you want them to find their way and know what they're capable of when it's worth the effort and to know what really is worth the effort.

So definitely take advantage of the programs that are available, but I wouldn't worry too much about what to do on a daily basis. You've known these kids for years, and that's going to tell you much more than a gifted designation does.

All you can do is meet each child where they are. If one wants to move ahead in math, or science by all means let them. It is easy with these children to do the basics, but follow the interests too. Talk to them, get their opinion of what you are doing, and see if there is something else they would rather do.

They are the same children !

Thanks everyone! You're right, they are the same kids. The gifted designation threw me for a loop though.:lol:

It's good to know that we can continue on more or less the same, but with the addition of a couple fun enrichment things. I was really worried about making sure they learned "at their level"....but they seem happy with what they have (well, my son wants more math, but it's on it's way) so I guess we won't fix what isn't broken.

Thanks everyone! You're right, they are the same kids. The gifted designation threw me for a loop though.:lol:

It's good to know that we can continue on more or less the same, but with the addition of a couple fun enrichment things. I was really worried about making sure they learned "at their level"....but they seem happy with what they have (well, my son wants more math, but it's on it's way) so I guess we won't fix what isn't broken.

I was also thrown for a loop the first time. My middle son was my guinea pig. I am so much more relaxed this time, knowing that I can just follow interests and go a very long way.

My middle son couldn't write worth a toot and hated it. We did lots of things orally and let him type what he had to on the computer. He loves writing now, age 18. Even though he was gifted, it took time for his fine motor skills to catch up.

It all works out in the end.

The main things I do differently for my kids b/c they are gifted. . . (2) and (3) are largely a result of (1). . .

1) Let them move along in leveled/grade curriculum as they are able. Don't hold them back arbitrarily b/c of age, but rather let them work at their own ability level. So, if you think 30 min of math a day is reasonable. . . then have the child do 30 min. . . that may result in finishing a "year" in 6 months. So be it. Modify/skip problems/skim/accelerate when appropriate, but be sure not to skip anything important!

Enrich their studies by deepening and/or broadening their studies. . .

(2) Deepening:

I.e., This may mean that in LA you add more literature, more writing projects, etc. instead of just doing the grade-level minimum list and the grade level grammar. (I'd rather do grade level grammar plus extra writing and reading rather than get 2 years "ahead" in grammar with minimal reading/writing.)

This may mean that in Math, you add in a year or two of Art of Problem Solving work amongst the traditional alegebra/geometry/calculus sequence. . .

or that you add creative problem solving books/activities into your elementary maths. . . (spending 3 days a week on the standard curriculum and the other 2 on some other interesting tangrams/patterns/problem/etc book) . . .

Or you spend time learning about the History of Science (reading Story of Science. . .) along side your standard content-based science program. . .

(3) Broadening: I.e., Add a foreign language (for real) and/or an instrument (or two) and/or art lessons and/or etc etc . Explore "rabbit trails". . . Add more science and/or history and/or mythology and/or etc. etc etc.

HTH

It's possible that they don't "love" school because they haven't been challenged too much and find it a bit boring. I wouldn't keep them at grade level if they don't belong there -- you can compact material (let them test out of things they already know) and let them get to the point where they are feeling like they're learning something. Don't worry about running out of stuff -- there are plenty of ways to broaden what they learn or go deeper.

I would also give them ample time each day to explore whatever passions or interests they might have -- gifted kids tend to need that.

HTH,

Lisa

The main things I do differently for my kids b/c they are gifted. . . (2) and (3) are largely a result of (1). . .

1) Let them move along in leveled/grade curriculum as they are able. Don't hold them back arbitrarily b/c of age, but rather let them work at their own ability level. So, if you think 30 min of math a day is reasonable. . . then have the child do 30 min. . . that may result in finishing a "year" in 6 months. So be it. Modify/skip problems/skim/accelerate when appropriate, but be sure not to skip anything important!

Enrich their studies by deepening and/or broadening their studies. . .

(2) Deepening:

I.e., This may mean that in LA you add more literature, more writing projects, etc. instead of just doing the grade-level minimum list and the grade level grammar. (I'd rather do grade level grammar plus extra writing and reading rather than get 2 years "ahead" in grammar with minimal reading/writing.)

This may mean that in Math, you add in a year or two of Art of Problem Solving work amongst the traditional alegebra/geometry/calculus sequence. . .

or that you add creative problem solving books/activities into your elementary maths. . . (spending 3 days a week on the standard curriculum and the other 2 on some other interesting tangrams/patterns/problem/etc book) . . .

Or you spend time learning about the History of Science (reading Story of Science. . .) along side your standard content-based science program. . .

(3) Broadening: I.e., Add a foreign language (for real) and/or an instrument (or two) and/or art lessons and/or etc etc . Explore "rabbit trails". . . Add more science and/or history and/or mythology and/or etc. etc etc.

HTH

This was really helpful. I have always wondered how other people's kids finish an entire math book or whatever in a few months. I have just been having them do one lesson per day....but doing it by time might work really well. This way paranoid mommy can be sure we aren't missing an important concept, and wants to get ahead child can finally see some faster progress. We already do some broadening and deepening, but I see where I can incorporate more in. Now I just have to find the balance between work and play (although a lot of the "extra", while technically work, seems like play:D).

It's possible that they don't "love" school because they haven't been challenged too much and find it a bit boring. I wouldn't keep them at grade level if they don't belong there -- you can compact material (let them test out of things they already know) and let them get to the point where they are feeling like they're learning something. Don't worry about running out of stuff -- there are plenty of ways to broaden what they learn or go deeper.

You know, I wondered about them being bored. I think that if I incorporate a couple of the other suggestions on here, we should have them up to a more challenging level soon.

I would also give them ample time each day to explore whatever passions or interests they might have -- gifted kids tend to need that.

So the multiple hours a day (and when he's supposed to be sleeping) my son spends on lego is normal then? As is the fact that the library has run out of non fiction cat books for my daughter?;)

HTH,

Lisa

Yes, all completely normal. I second bringing material to their level. Especially your older ones. You might consider placement testing with the materials you are using. They might suprise you. :) And definately let them run with their interests.

The biggest challenge this year has been to allow my DD to struggle a little. I don't mean this in a big way but this was a child who had never been challenged in math. She does well in math and needs math to follow her love of science. It took a month of her ranting under her breath, slamming the computer top, and stomping to her room when she got less than 100% for her to realize that she can do things that take some work and that work isn't a bad thing. Actually having to study, certainly within reason for their age, is not a bad thing to learn and definately something that is easier to learn at a younger age.

Off topic. I finally got my DD to read fiction for pleasure. The Warriors series is a great cat series, if she likes cats. It was one of two series that actually helped move my DD to fiction, although she still only reads fiction by choice that is animal or bug related. :)

I require formal grade level schoolwork done at some point (mostly because they take yearly exams home in Italy, but also because I want to make sure they don't miss out on things), but I don't base their schooling on that. They work roughly within the same topics, but deepening them; and for some areas they cover material which isn't grade level (or school level for that matter).

I also don't force them to work together and study the same things, even if it would be easier for me (they're not even a full year apart age-wise), because I want to respect their individual needs and meet them each where they are, thus I find myself dealing with completely different curricula, topics they explore and different texts.

For now I'm working with the older one on her extras, since they're roughly my fields (languages and humanities) as well as give her harder readings, and we think about adding an extra language for her too; I'm helpless with the younger one though as she's into heavy science, so she gets her tutor over here every week and they study Biochemistry. I can barely follow her extra science; by the time she finishes this grade (age-wise she's 6th) I probably won't be even be able to.

I support their interests financially as much as I can. They get to travel, meet people that deal with the things they're interested in, get materials they need. I take their interests very seriously and want to encourage them to study.

However, I don't allow the rest of the schoolwork to be neglected. While I do modify what I teach a little for each of them, no way I'll allow a science-oriented one to get away with Italian Literature or Judaics, even though I know she'd like to minimize those, and there's no way her sister is getting away with minimal Maths and Sciences - she gets the full school dose at least.

So that's my approach: encourage the strengths and try to teach them at their level there, if you can't, outsource it; when it comes to other fields, do the equivalent of what a good school would do and keep it at grade level if they show no particular interest in those.

We've had a few small burnouts, but I don't take those drastically, they're normal parts of life too. You take a few days off and go somewhere, change a climate a little if you must (the universal cure in my family: a travel :D), and get back to work. You always make sure what's elective and extra, and what's standard program and a must. They dictate the tempo of the extras and are fully entitled to slow down a bit if they need (or even give up for a while, why not; maybe in some periods kids need other types of interests), but you dictate the tempo of the standard program and decide what amount of slowing down is acceptable. That works for us.

One of our kids was identified as gifted when we were doing public school.

Our pediatrician told me to "expose her to as many different things as you can".

Uh, OK. Kinda vague, but when you think about it...makes sense. Your kids are a lot older than mine, but you could throw in a lot of new experiences of a different kind- lots of trips, maybe an internship somewhere - or shadowing...

And, don't change curriculum - they're obviously doing very well.

One of our kids was identified as gifted when we were doing public school.

Our pediatrician told me to "expose her to as many different things as you can".

Uh, OK. Kinda vague, but when you think about it...makes sense. Your kids are a lot older than mine, but you could throw in a lot of new experiences of a different kind- lots of trips, maybe an internship somewhere - or shadowing...

And, don't change curriculum - they're obviously doing very well.

I have to second this one, If they are doing well I wouldn't change either. I would just change the way you do it. I would explain that if they want to work ahead, or faster to move on in something that it is ok.

If they want to explore something outside of what you are doing encourage that. Expose them to new things, take them to ballet, museums, get books on subjects they haven't been interested in before, explore instruments, chess, dance, martial arts, engineering, etc.

The idea is to help them find what they want to do, or what they love. They may have no idea.

As they get a broader look at things, I would give them a choice in what they study, beyond the basics of course.