Menu

WWE.. dd giving me the whole story back

christine in al

So, hse is in WWE 2, she's supposed to be summarizing.. instead she'll just re-tell the whole thing back to me. We work on her making it short, but I wanted to check in that I really WAS going for making it short. Do I want her to choose the important bits? in other words edit her narration?

What to do?

thanks.

~Christine

First I would try to see the good in this...it's awesome she can remember so much! ANd then even more awesome she's able to retell it!

I woudlnt' try to get her to tell certain parts of it, but I might say tell me all you can in 1 minute or tell her to tell you about the story is 5 sentences, or whatever number suits your fancy. Just make sure she's telling them in order.

Younger kids tend to tell all they remember whereas olders, with practice in narration, will slowly start to get more concise and tell the important parts.

Yes, you're practicing to get her to tell the important pieces succinctly and fluently. Say, "Wow, honey, that's great! You really listened well! Now, let's see if we can pare this down to three sentences together... Who was today's story about? Okay, so tell me in one sentence about that person... Okay, then what did they do? Hm... Let's shorten that to just the most important parts. Okay, let's put those three things in a list like this with commas. And then how did it work out in the end?"

Talk her through finding the most important elements and composing them into two or three complete sentences. It's perfectly alright if she can't do that on her own just yet. That's part of what you're teaching her here. But don't tell her the answers -- ask her questions that will help *her* to come up with the sentences on her own.

homeschooling...

"whereas olders, with practice in narration, will slowly start to get more concise and tell the important parts"

my ds in WWE3, learned pretty quickly to give short, monotone, easily remembered sentences, ( nothing like he writes himself in his stories) because he knew he'd be asked to remember them for dictation the following lesson. There is not an adjective or adverb in sight when he narrates, he distills the story to one easily-dictated sentence.

Thanks, for you reply I'll just let her run with her retellings, and maybe move her toward at least thinking about the most important thing.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll chill.

~christine in al

abbeyej user_online.gif

abbeyej, I liked hmschooling's answer better, it was easier to implement. ;)

Thanks for your reply, especially the detail of how to get her to condense.

Why are we doing this part? ARe we moving toward an outline... sort of taking a complete body, and learning to pare way extras until the boes are left , so they can later build a body starting with the bones? ( sorry for this rather gruesome metaphor)

I think THIS may be why I bought the main WWE book, I'll chekc there as well as look for wisdom from y'all , which is so helpful.

~c.

Why are we doing this part? ARe we moving toward an outline... sort of taking a complete body, and learning to pare way extras until the boes are left , so they can later build a body starting with the bones? ( sorry for this rather gruesome metaphor)

Yep! :)

Also, re your son... I would simply require more from him in his sentences. If he reduces his sentences too far in an effort to pare down the dictation he'll be asked to do, then simply add back into his sentences before you dictate them to him. If he says, "The dog ran away," you can have him write, "The dejected little dog ran away in shame and humiliation." Things like that. And let him know that giving you laconic responses will *not* in fact save him work in the end... (Though I'd also work towards getting him to give you adequate sentences to begin with...)

I think THIS may be why I bought the main WWE book, I'll chekc there as well as look for wisdom from y'all , which is so helpful.

~c.

As for why are we doing this, in my house, we are doing this for a multitude of reasons! From conversation skills to comprehension to listening skills to ......etc. I am NOT trying to teach summarizing or giving the basis for outlining at this point. Those types of things are fleshing out picking out CERTAIN elements from information and stories. I use narration as a way of letting the child show me what they have learned, to see what makes impressions on them and give them a chance to internalize it and retell it in their own words. If I'm doing a reading program, I may ask for certain info, but not in our narrations right now. I don't mind that she can't tell me the dates or city names or even character names. She might be able to tell me a season or that it was in the country or a big city and instead of specific names, she might just say the mom or dad or oldest brother. I want to see what she took from the reading and later, we'll work on summarizing and outlining skills. It's more CM than Classical I guess.

doing too many smart things in too many smart ways. ;)

hmschooling, thanks. you help me breathe, I will try to balance and look for bones in some stories for outlining, and conversation and comprehension in others.

honestly, seeing two distinctly different approaches to the same curriculum is exptremely helpful.

~c.