Menu

how does sotw work?

mlgbug

i tried to figure it out....

there is the text right. then a student wrkbok? then you get stories to go with the chapter???

help me out please. our librar has sotw....so im gonna get it to see. but do i need the workbook//. ive checked blogs but cant figure it out still :)

For each chapter, the AG lists additional references that you can use, but you dont have to. The references include encyclopedia cross-references, books for additional history reading and litererature that corresponds to each chapter. Also included are review questions, narration exercises, student pages (maps and coloring pages) as well as project ideas. The AG has made SOTW a really easy subject for me this year. I do not use any of the additional sources for the lessons and I feel like we are covering as much as we need to for 1st grade.

I know its hard to wrap your mind around how something works w/o seeing it so, I hope this helps!

There is the SOTW text, which is basically a bunch of stories.

Then there is the SOTW Activity Guide, which has comprehension questions, supplemental reading recommendations, maps to fill in (with corresponding questions), coloring pages, and activity suggestions with instructions (and sometimes sheets from the workbook that go with them).

You don't have to get the Activity Guide, but it is helpful

I see your oldest child is 4. I'd recommend holding off on world history until she is at least 6. Before then it's fun and helpful to do some geography and American history. I know this is unsolicited, so take it for what it's worth, which may be nothing.

T

I see your oldest child is 4. I'd recommend holding off on world history until she is at least 6. Before then it's fun and helpful to do some geography and American history. I know this is unsolicited, so take it for what it's worth, which may be nothing.

i

point me to a new directions and im all yours! what else should i look into. im not creative, so i need things to tell me what to do when to do them....these books, color this, talk about this....kwim?

I am planning on getting SOTW 1 to start with my ds8, ds6, and dd4. I wasn't planning on using anything else, but just doing it as a read aloud. This is in addition to the Simply Charlotte Mason history guide that we are doing. Would that be enough? Would it be easy enough for me to find activities on my own to fill in where I wanted to? I can't take on another thing like the AG because we don't have the time.

i

point me to a new directions and im all yours! what else should i look into. im not creative, so i need things to tell me what to do when to do them....these books, color this, talk about this....kwim?

Do you have access to the WTM?? It guides you through what to do at each age/grade and has some fantastic ideas. I've homeschooled using WTM from the beginning (since oldest was pre-K) and have been really, really happy with it all. It holds your hand through this journey, yet gives you the leeway you need to choose what works best for your family.

Or how about something like Slow & Steady, Get me Ready? I don't know if it would be worth buying if money is tight, but a nice resource if you can find it at the library. Another good book for ideas on what to cover in which grade is the Latin Centered Curriculum. A lot of libraries carry it these days so you may want to check if yours does.

SOTW is such a flexible program. You can simply use the text and read that by itself. You can add the Activity Guide (AG) for the review questions, supplemental book list, maps/coloring, and project suggestions. I highly recommend it! You can also add other read-along books. We plan to do it all.

I wanted to start when she was 4.5. :) Instead we studied prehistory and she learned sooo much. Maybe you can learn geography, map skills, basic stuff?

I do disagree that all children must wait until they are 6. I think there's a recent poll and more people than I would have expected started SOTW in Kindergarten. I know my daughter, and she has talked about learning history for such a long time, and every night and day she tells me she loves what she is learning. She's got a great attention span and memory for this stuff.

Yeah, our family loves both the text and AG. :) I have the time and desire to take advantage of it all. Make sure to read the other recent thread to understand why some people may not use the AG!

My daughter can sit through a History Channel show on archaeology or Egypt and be enthralled, where I sometimes don't have the patience myself! I don't call my daughter gifted, but she does love to learn! Your daughter sounds quite bright as well.

We have the Textbook, Activity Guide, Extra Student Worksheets PDF, and the Audio CD's are in the mail. I plan to do an abbreviated version for the next two years. Listening to the chapters on the CD, and coloring the maps, following along on a wall map with my son. Adding in the easy books that are suggested. Maybe doing some of the easier activities.

Then in 2 years we will start again with SOTW and do all the work in the Activity Guide, and the readers that we more difficult adding in the readers already done. So my son will be exposed 3 times, the first audio, then in 1st, then again when his sister does it about 2 years later. We are focusing on overview and geography to get the bigger picture.