Menu

HELP Ironing - 100% Polyester Wedding Dress???

Can I iron it, HOW ? There are very soft wrinkles in it. Nothing hard set as it was just made and shipped straight to me. Or must I take it to get dry cleaned ?
You *could* iron it, using lowest setting and ironing the wrong side, but I would be inclined to play it safe and take it to the dry cleaners.

Hang it up, perhaps on a shower rod, and hold your iron vertically, not really touching the fabric, with your steam setting on high but temp as low as it can be to make steam. Just move it down the fabric, and the wrinkles will fall out.

This is how I iron all of my delicate clothes. Or non-delicate clothes when I am just too lazy to set up the ironing board.

Terri

Hang it up, perhaps on a shower rod, and hold your iron vertically, not really touching the fabric, with your steam setting on high but temp as low as it can be to make steam. Just move it down the fabric, and the wrinkles will fall out.

This is how I iron all of my delicate clothes. Or non-delicate clothes when I am just too lazy to set up the ironing board.

Terri

Hey !! Now that sounds like a deal ! I might try that if they don't fall out in the next couple of days. I have read you can steam, but I am afraid to touch it hehehe.

Thanks !

I used to work in the bridal industry......I washed my sister's wedding dress in my kitchen sink. I have ironed many and many more bridesmaids dresses. It can be done.

If you decide to iron it, the biggest thing is to not touch the dress until the iron has heated up for a while. Iron preheat hotter than they actually are........kind of like preheating your oven..

Make sure the sole plate on your iron is clean.

Then try ironing it on a lower setting. If you decide to bump up the heat a smidge......be sure to give the iron time to preheat again properly.

Terri

Yes. Get a steamer and do as suggested above. This is what you do for polyester graduation gowns, etc. It's not hard at all.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Use a press cloth. Dampen a handkerchief type cotton cloth. Wring it out as much as possible, til it is just barely damp. Lay it on the dress and press over the cloth. Re-dampen the cloth as it dries out. It will steam out the wrinkles and the iron will not touch the dress. I used this method to press my daughters wedding dress that we ordered online from the orient also.

A press cloth is an old-fashioned tried and true method. I learned it from my mom. :-)

Can I iron it, HOW ? There are very soft wrinkles in it. Nothing hard set as it was just made and shipped straight to me. Or must I take it to get dry cleaned ?

TIA

If the wrinkles are soft, I'd hang it in the bathroom while I took a shower without the exhaust fan going before I tried anything else.

Jean