Menu

Ways to make my nieces comfortable during an extended stay at my house

As many of you know, my baby niece is having heart surgery soon. Her three older sisters will be staying with us for a couple of weeks while my brother and his wife are away with the baby.

What are some ways I can help them feel comfortable and settled here at my house?

It's going to be a big adjustment for all of us! My three boys are 9, 7, and 5 and my nieces are 8, 6, and 2.

I took in five small cousins when their mother was in the hospital for a life-threatening brain tumor. It was a tough, very emotional time for us. Here's what worked for us:

Strict, predictable routine. Hold to it no matter what. Unless someone is crying--then give up the routine to cuddle through it.

Quiet time at mid-day. This needs to be in solitude, with books.

No food wars--fix plain food you know everyone will eat.

Severely limited junk food--no mood rollercoasters.

Give everyone a private place in the house they can escape to if need be. Their beds will work well for this. Once in the bed, that child cannot be disturbed by others.

Daily phone contact with mom and dad.

My husband is gone quite a bit and one thing that really helps our girls is to have video of him reading to them available when they want it. They will often put in the dvds and sit with the corresponding books to spend some time "with" him.

We never do a set time to call or guarantee a call in the morning/at bedtime. We have tried it in the past and if it didn't happen for some reason the girls absolutely lost it. We now tell them that Daddy will try to call at some point during the day. It seems to be best if he calls midday. When he calls at bedtime they wind up moping around missing him more than normal and the nighttime routine is much harder.