Menu

When a census taker comes to your home, are they allowed to ask about income?

I've probably fallen for my ex's BS again, but he called and said that a census taker was at his house and he needed to know how much our son was collecting in dependent's benefits off his disability. For some reason I told him. Was that the right thing to do? All I heard was that they asked 10 simple questions and that was it.

My ex was telling me that they picked his little teeny God-forsaken town at random, then picked his household to survey, and a census taker was there (and had been for 1 1/2 hours) and randomly picked our son to get detailed information from. Quite frankly, I'm sure all he wanted was to find out how much he was receiving each month. I've been told all along that it's J's money, not mine or his father's, and my ex had no business knowing what it was.

I can't believe I fell for it again. I divorced that lousy excuse for a man 10 years ago and I'm still an idiot.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Sorry, but I think he scammed you.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php Here is a list of the questions asked.

On another page it states that they can not enter your home or collect information from anyone under 15.

The census questions are no long as invasive as they used to be. More of a who lives where, how old are they, what sex, and do they live somewhere else part time.

There are only 10 questions and there is no way they could take 1.5 hours.

Is it possible he was getting an IRS audit or applying for state aide? These sounds more like the story, and he didn't want to fess up.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I've probably fallen for my ex's BS again, but he called and said that a census taker was at his house and he needed to know how much our son was collecting in dependent's benefits off his disability. For some reason I told him. Was that the right thing to do? All I heard was that they asked 10 simple questions and that was it.

My ex was telling me that they picked his little teeny God-forsaken town at random, then picked his household to survey, and a census taker was there (and had been for 1 1/2 hours) and randomly picked our son to get detailed information from. Quite frankly, I'm sure all he wanted was to find out how much he was receiving each month. I've been told all along that it's J's money, not mine or his father's, and my ex had no business knowing what it was.

I can't believe I fell for it again. I divorced that lousy excuse for a man 10 years ago and I'm still an idiot.

Anybody have any experience with this?

We did answer income questions. I don't know how detailed they were, though, as dh is the one who answered them. I just had to answer a few follow-up questions that asked whether I concurred with his responses. I was surprised that those income type questions were in there. We don't have any complicated issues like you have, though. I don't know if your dh's question would have been included.

We were randomly selected to participate in a census bureau study regarding employment. We did have to answer many questions about income and other benefits. The census worker was at our house for a while, and then also called us once a month for a year for updates. He may have been telling you the truth. The census worker should have had plenty of documentation and identification. We actually received a letter from the census bureau first telling us that a worker would be coming to the house.

Maria,

There are 3 things wrong here.

1) A census person can *ask* a variety of things. We are ONLY going to answer how many kids and adults live here. That's it.

2) I would NEVER, EVER, EVER offer finanical information to an ex. I doubt it was from the census, but even if it was, he didn't need to provide the answer 3rd party.

3) He's going to "do something" with that info.

We did answer income questions. I don't know how detailed they were, though, as dh is the one who answered them. I just had to answer a few follow-up questions that asked whether I concurred with his responses. I was surprised that those income type questions were in there. We don't have any complicated issues like you have, though. I don't know if your dh's question would have been included.

Were these questions on the 2010 census or another year?

From the Census website:

The 2010 Census will actually be one of the shortest and simplest in U.S. history. It will ask just 10 basic questions including:

Name

Sex

Age and date of birth

Hispanic origin

Race

Household relationship

If you own or rent your home

It requires less personal information than a typical credit card application. For example, the 2010 Census does NOT ask about bank account information, salary or income, citizenship or immigration status, and we never ask you for your Social Security number.

end quote

The 2010 census hasn't started yet. They won't be starting until early spring.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

A 'current population study' is different and may be confused with a census. This can ask more intrusive questions. You may be able to Google and find out if there was done in the are he was in. It is done by the Census bureau, so it would be easy to confuse.

http://www.census.gov/cps/

I found this information after I started researching the Census further. When you said 'census worker' I immdiately thought...2010 Popluation Census, not other forms of census.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

A 'current population study' is different and may be confused with a census. This can ask more intrusive questions. You may be able to Google and find out if there was done in the are he was in. It is done by the Census bureau, so it would be easy to confuse.

http://www.census.gov/cps/

I found this information after I started researching the Census further. When you said 'census worker' I immdiately thought...2010 Popluation Census, not other forms of census.

Is this CPS study mandatory or can we opt out? I couldn't find it on the site you linked.

We were randomly selected to participate in a census bureau study regarding employment. We did have to answer many questions about income and other benefits. The census worker was at our house for a while, and then also called us once a month for a year for updates. He may have been telling you the truth. The census worker should have had plenty of documentation and identification. We actually received a letter from the census bureau first telling us that a worker would be coming to the house.

Were you asked if you wanted to volunteer that info or were you told you would have to give information beyond what is on the regular census questionnaire?

If it's the second, I find it intrusive and alarming.

You can opt out but it is very difficult. I actually worked for the census bureau in the 90s. My job was interviewing households for the CPS survey. It is completely different than the 10 year census.

Addresses, usually a block of random numbers on a single street, were chosen by some computer system. Those houses were put into a cycle. Every month for up to a year (depending on when in the cycle they were placed) a worked would have to do a face-to-face interview. Each moth the questions were on a different topic. There are many financial questions. This is how they get the unemployment numbers that are released on the first Friday of the month.

It is very difficult to opt out. They are (at least when I worked there) required to make 3 in person attempts, several phone calls and then it's escalated to a supervisor. You are not required to answer spicific questions and it is much less harassing to do the interview but to refuse each answer that you are uncomfortable in answering.