Menu

Quick! Lord's prayer question

Hi folks,

I am preparing to teach a children's overnight retreat on prayer. Most of my material is prepared--I am just tweaking at this stage. However, one glaring oversight I just found in my preparation is with regard to the Lord's prayer.

Matthew 6 contains the following text (NLT version):

Our Father in heaven,

may your name be kept holy.

May your Kingdom come soon.

May your will be done on earth,

as it is in heaven

Give us today the food we need,

and forgive us our sins,

as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

And don't let us yield to temptation,

but rescue us from the evil one.

Here's my question:

Where did the line, "For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever Amen" come from??? Why do we say that?

Thanks for your help.

Well, it is part of the response in the Mass. Catholics don't say it as part of the prayer as protestants do, but it is said as a response during Mass after the prayer is said.

http://catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm#Eucharist

Scroll down to Communion Rite.

All: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name;

thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread;

and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;

and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Priest: Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

All: For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever.

I also found this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Prayer

Edited by Asenik

I believe it's a "doxology," something which may be added to various prayers, and is a quick way of reaffirming a statement of belief. I know that my Catholic friends add it only when they pray it in the Mass, but not, for instance, when they pray the Rosary. Here's the Wikipedia on it:

A doxology (from the Greek doxa, glory + logos, word or speaking) is a short hymn of praises to God in various Christian worship services, often added to the end of canticles, psalms, and hymns. The tradition derives from a similar practice in the Jewish synagogue,[1] where some version of the Kaddish serves to terminate each section of the service.

Looks like it's in the KJV...

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

(Mat 6:9-13)

Don't know why it's there and not in other translations!

ETA I found this..."The phrase “for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever” does not appear in the best manuscripts of the New Testament as the conclusion of this prayer. It is, however, part of the liturgy of the Eastern Church; in fact, in reading an Orthodox Prayer Book, I found it repeated throughout the service after various prayers. So apparently a scribe, accustomed to hearing this refrain added onto the end of the Lord’s Prayer in church, inserted it into the manuscript as he copied it." http://www.kencollins.com/pray-06.htm

HTH!!

Edited by happi duck

Hi folks,

I am preparing to teach a children's overnight retreat on prayer. Most of my material is prepared--I am just tweaking at this stage. However, one glaring oversight I just found in my preparation is with regard to the Lord's prayer.

Matthew 6 contains the following text (NLT version):

Our Father in heaven,

may your name be kept holy.

May your Kingdom come soon.

May your will be done on earth,

as it is in heaven

Give us today the food we need,

and forgive us our sins,

as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

And don't let us yield to temptation,

but rescue us from the evil one.

Here's my question:

Where did the line, "For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever Amen" come from??? Why do we say that?

Thanks for your help.

I have to say, that with such a classic "prayer" I'd keep with the KJV or at least the NKJV....

:-)

I have to say, that with such a classic "prayer" I'd keep with the KJV or at least the NKJV....

:-)

For working with young children (most of them on this retreat are third graders), there's really nothing quite like the NLT for making things easy and clear.

Your point is well taken though, so I'll make sure to include a brief explanation about translation and updating the language.