Menu

Memoria Press Kindergarten - has anybody gotten a good look at this yet?

LynnG in Arizona

MominBC - or anybody else who has gotten this and used it, or at least looked through the program -

Is it really going to take 4 hours a day to complete? I think I saw that time estimate on the Memoria Press forum.

I've gone through the sample schedule of Week 1, and I'm not sure I can picture all that taking 4 hours daily. But I could easily be wrong! :)

I wondered about this too.

Those of you who have used it or seen it, what do you think of the phonics portion? I'm going to be looking for something for my little ones for phonics soon.

I am specifically looking at purchasing this for the phonics. I'd love to hear from those who are using this.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using this for a couple of weeks now, and it definitely doesn't take me that long. The guide is given has a lot of freedom, you can do it all or you can scale down to what works for your family. I can do it all in about an hour to an hour and a half, but that's all the one on one time I have for the day. You could spend more time if you want to. I really love the phonics because it has so much review.

Hi MominBC!!

O.K. Yahoo that you have Memoria Press kindergarten!!!! My K'er is 5.5 (6 in May) and reading cvc words well and just getting ready to move to the next level of phonics instruction (I guess that would be long vowel sounds?). I, like you, have been sad about my pathetic plans for kindergarten (for both of my boys) and when I read the MP plan I was beside myself with joy!!!!!!!!!!!! This was after reading Latin Centered Curriculum but that is another discussion altogether . . . . (happy happy)

My question for you is: Do you think a K'er jumping in mid school year would be challenged and blessed by the MP K plan? I realize it's still new for you so your experience with the curriculum is very limited. I don't want to do something that is too easy but he needs something more consistent and "special" at this point. What are you going to do for first grade? Just see the MP plan for K through to the end and move up to first grade mid-school year next year?

If my questions don't make sense please ask. :lol: Thanks for sharing.

My ds was reading cvc too, but I really wanted the review so we are going fast through the beginning and then will slow down.You don't have to do it all they say to do the review you feel your child needs. I really find it beautiful and gentle and love the enrichment so much. The enrichment weeks can be moved around to fit the seasons and holidays, its flexible. I am going to finish by the end of summer/ mid fall and then start grade 1. We love it so much.:)

Does it give help for a child who struggles with handwriting? She's just starting to "get it" and some of her letters and numbers are starting to look like the real thing, but she definitely needs more practice.

Also, is this more workbooky? I'm finding that though "I" love MFW and HOD, that the oral parts are not really going so well. I get tuned out a lot. But my kids seem to really like the workbooks and that part is going really well.

I just received my order today! :party:

To answer a few questions from previous posts, in the introduction it says that the program is "designed for reading ready children, those usually 4-6 years old with the ability to count to ten, print their names, recognize most letters, rhyme words, and segment sounds....Additional goals...are: correct pencil grip, correct letter and number formation, and basic arithmetic including counting, addition, subtraction, telling time, and counting money."

So far in looking over the curriculum, my absolute favorite thing is the recitation time. I've always wanted to implement this but wasn't ever quite sure how or what to do. This curriculum has an appendix with a weekly list of recitation suggestions that each week build upon one another. It includes things like skip counting, pledge of allegiance, what are the continents, name the planets in order, etc.

The other thing I love is that the program is focused on reading, writing, math, and reading good literature. There are worthwhile, easy-to-do suggestions for the other subjects (as in not 'twaddly') but because it's not a big part of the curriculum, if I don't get to it one week (or if I just include him in big sis' studies in those subjects) I won't feel like I'm wasting my money, iykwim?

My initial reaction: gentle, yet complete. And much better than anything I could put together on my own! ;)

I just received my order today! :party:

To answer a few questions from previous posts, in the introduction it says that the program is "designed for reading ready children, those usually 4-6 years old with the ability to count to ten, print their names, recognize most letters, rhyme words, and segment sounds....Additional goals...are: correct pencil grip, correct letter and number formation, and basic arithmetic including counting, addition, subtraction, telling time, and counting money."

So far in looking over the curriculum, my absolute favorite thing is the recitation time. I've always wanted to implement this but wasn't ever quite sure how or what to do. This curriculum has an appendix with a weekly list of recitation suggestions that each week build upon one another. It includes things like skip counting, pledge of allegiance, what are the continents, name the planets in order, etc.

The other thing I love is that the program is focused on reading, writing, math, and reading good literature. There are worthwhile, easy-to-do suggestions for the other subjects (as in not 'twaddly') but because it's not a big part of the curriculum, if I don't get to it one week (or if I just include him in big sis' studies in those subjects) I won't feel like I'm wasting my money, iykwim?

My initial reaction: gentle, yet complete. And much better than anything I could put together on my own! ;)

Sounds great! Thanks for the report! :)

One question/clarification, though: when it says additional goals like counting money, basic arithmetic, telling time . . . does that mean the student should be doing that before beginning the program?

Or did you mean that the program anticipates that students should have the above skills that I bolded (count to ten, print name, etc.), and then be working toward the additional goals?

When are you planning to start the program? How old is your student with whom you will be using the program?

Guest aquiverfull

Mommahawk.. wow that sounds really nice. :) Thanks for the review. When you have a little more time to look over the phonics can you share your opinion of it, please?

I have OPGTR and have used ETC in the past. Ordinary Parents guide is kinda boring so I was thinking of adding ETC to it. Then I saw this and it looks really great. So now I don't know what to do.

One question/clarification, though: when it says additional goals like counting money, basic arithmetic, telling time . . . does that mean the student should be doing that before beginning the program?

Or did you mean that the program anticipates that students should have the above skills that I bolded (count to ten, print name, etc.), and then be working toward the additional goals?

When are you planning to start the program? How old is your student with whom you will be using the program?

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, it is the latter...the part that you bolded are the "prerequisites," and the "additional goals" are things that are worked towards in the program. The whole sentence in the second part says this: "The primary goal of the curriculum, of course, is learning to read. Additional goals of no less importance are: correct pencil grip,..." and then what I stated above. Clear as mud? :lol:

I am hoping to start as soon as I can! I'm going to go through all the different components and make sure I know how they all work together and get the big picture. My ds5 will be 6 in April, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to call this his K or Pre-K year yet. We might decide after next year. :) We've been working some through MFW K, but really just since Christmas has he shown any real interest in reading or doing anything other than building with his K'nex and the like. However, he went from not knowing his sounds to blending CVC words just in the last couple of weeks.

Mommahawk.. wow that sounds really nice. :) Thanks for the review. When you have a little more time to look over the phonics can you share your opinion of it, please?

I have OPGTR and have used ETC in the past. Ordinary Parents guide is kinda boring so I was thinking of adding ETC to it. Then I saw this and it looks really great. So now I don't know what to do.

Sure. I've used most of OPG, some ETC, some PP, some Alpha-Phonics, and a little of some others. :tongue_smilie: I remember trying really hard to keep my eyes open while working with my dd in OPG! I hope this is a little more exciting, for my sake!:lol:

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, it is the latter...the part that you bolded are the "prerequisites," and the "additional goals" are things that are worked towards in the program. The whole sentence in the second part says this: "The primary goal of the curriculum, of course, is learning to read. Additional goals of no less importance are: correct pencil grip,..." and then what I stated above. Clear as mud? :lol:

I am hoping to start as soon as I can! I'm going to go through all the different components and make sure I know how they all work together and get the big picture. My ds5 will be 6 in April, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to call this his K or Pre-K year yet. We might decide after next year. :) We've been working some through MFW K, but really just since Christmas has he shown any real interest in reading or doing anything other than building with his K'nex and the like. However, he went from not knowing his sounds to blending CVC words just in the last couple of weeks.

Heather, thanks for clarifying! I thought that was what you meant, but wanted to make sure. :)

I know what you mean about deciding your student's year. My dd-4 turns 5 in October. I'm not sure whether to start her in kindergarten this fall (at the age of 4 years, 10 months) or next summer/fall (at 5 years, 6-10 months). I know I can always change my mind down the road, but I would prefer not to . . . kwim? Best of luck making your decision! ;)

Does it give help for a child who struggles with handwriting? She's just starting to "get it" and some of her letters and numbers are starting to look like the real thing, but she definitely needs more practice.

Also, is this more workbooky? I'm finding that though "I" love MFW and HOD, that the oral parts are not really going so well. I get tuned out a lot. But my kids seem to really like the workbooks and that part is going really well.

Just with a cursory glance, it looks like there is a good amount of writing practice. The workbooks in the program are the three First Start Reading Workbooks (A, B, C), the Copybook, the SRA Phonics book, Counting With Numbers and Going On Eagerly (R&S), plus the MP composition and sketchbook that is meant to be used for nature study observations and pictures. Oh, plus the R&S Math is two workbooks plus Blacklines. I think that's it. (ETA: I forgot that there is actually only one R&S workbook since only the first half of R&S Math 1 is scheduled for K.)

There are a lot of components, but I'm impressed with how organized and simple it seems to be.

Edited by mommahawk

Guest aquiverfull
Sure. I've used most of OPG, some ETC, some PP, some Alpha-Phonics, and a little of some others. :tongue_smilie: I remember trying really hard to keep my eyes open while working with my dd in OPG! I hope this is a little more exciting, for my sake!:lol:

Thanks so much. Yes, exciting could be good. :D

Well it looks like you have some experience with phonics and something to compare it to, so I eagerly await your review. :)

7. I really love everything. I have searched K programs for years having completed it twice with my older 2 and now having searched for my DS I was frustrated. This is everything I have wanted. Simple (having a busy toddler), challenging enough, beautiful literature, art , music , nature, crafts...but no pressure to do everything. The only thing i would like would be the CD and art cards, then it would be perfect;) If you like classical education, routine but gentle and flexibility, this is it in my opinion. :)

How long does it take with the SS/Science kept in? I LOVE the look of the schedule, but I just don't think I realistically have 4 hours a day.

My kids are almost the same ages as yours - minus the baby! - mine are 15, 12 and 4. Could you shed some light on how you're working Kindy into your day? Right now I "do school" with my 4yo when the others are doing independent work - but it is really hit or miss. I'm a little anxious about next year.

Thanks!

ps - Yes, I know Quiverof10 is looking at this, too! I'm convinced she either has a time machine, *or* she has found the pause button so that she only has to deal with one child at a time - LOL!!! (I'm such a wimp!)

Edited by Rhondabee

Guest aquiverfull

I know Lynn.. I'm the exact same with the tweaking. We still haven't fully decided on Math but I'm fairly sure that I don't want to use Rod and Staff. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to me, or if I'll be prone to tweak it too much. Since I have been known to tweak myself right out of a program..lol.

Well, I went into it thinking that I was going to use RightStart and NOT use the R&S at all. However, after looking over it this evening (and because of the recent math threads on developing automaticity with things like math facts), I think it would be beneficial to use some of the R&S materials with this particular dc. There is no way I could get by with using only the R&S with my son. I got enough eye-rolls even with RS A (I actually skipped over to RS B with him and am just going at his pace, which is what I did with my dd.) But, because his fine motor skills are much farther behind his conceptual ability, I'm thinking the R&S looks like a perfect supplement to help him practice writing his numbers; he loves working on his handwriting, so I can tell him they are handwriting sheets rather than math. ;)

By the end of the MP K curriculum, the math is still only working on things like subtracting 6-3 and skip counting 5's. And because only 1-2 pages are scheduled a day either of R&S Math or the R&S K workbooks (Counting With Numbers and Going on Eagerly), it's really not much to add in. I probably won't use them all, but what I do I believe will be good practice.

I too have been concerned with the "4 hour" estimate. It seems like a lot for kindergarten . . . even though I do want a more academically focused school! ;)

Thanks for asking about Right Start A. I've been fairly convinced that I want to use RS as well. Oh dear . . . I'm already thinking of tweaking! :tongue_smilie:

I don't see how it could take 4 hours, really. The recommended schedule has 30 minutes for opening recitation; 30 minutes for phonics; 45 minutes for math; 15 minute break; 30 minutes for review of reading, phonics and math; 30 minutes for copybook & associated memory work (verses); 30 minutes for literature and enrichment. There's no way it would take me 30 minutes for most of that stuff. :confused:

I don't see how it could take 4 hours, really. The recommended schedule has 30 minutes for opening recitation; 30 minutes for phonics; 45 minutes for math; 15 minute break; 30 minutes for review of reading, phonics and math; 30 minutes for copybook & associated memory work (verses); 30 minutes for literature and enrichment. There's no way it would take me 30 minutes for most of that stuff. :confused:

I am thinking that maybe just like SWB had to put specific times and schedules in TWTM per her publishers request, MP might have done similar?

I know Lynn.. I'm the exact same with the tweaking. We still haven't fully decided on Math but I'm fairly sure that I don't want to use Rod and Staff. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to me, or if I'll be prone to tweak it too much. Since I have been known to tweak myself right out of a program..lol.

Oh, this is me, this is me! :blushing: Part of what is intriguing me about the Memoria Press Kindergarten program is the fact that appears complete, without much need for tweaking. Why do I always have to meddle with a good thing? :confused:

Even if I get the program and use it as designed, except for the math, though, I would be doing great!

Oh, this is me, this is me! :blushing: Part of what is intriguing me about the Memoria Press Kindergarten program is the fact that appears complete, without much need for tweaking. Why do I always have to meddle with a good thing? :confused:

Even if I get the program and use it as designed, except for the math, though, I would be doing great!

Yeah, this is totally me. I am SO not an in-the-box-curriculum girl. But even with my thinking that I wasn't using the math, and likely wouldn't do much with the enrichment (except the literature), I still thought that everything else would be worthwhile just to have it all laid out for me!! I really felt like I was floundering the whole K and 1st grade years for my dd, mostly because of her phonics. (Of course, I realized later that she is a VSL and the phonics programs I had used were not working for her, but that's a whole 'nother post. :D)

BUT, actually, that is another reason I decided to go with MP K for my son, in case you were wondering. :D Ds seems like he falls even farther to the right on the VSL spectrum, and I was looking for a phonics program that 1. had vowel-consonant blends instead of consonant-vowel blends because of my strong fondness for open/closed syllables ('sa' should say 'say' not 'sa' as in sat, in my mind) AND 2. word families...I think using the word families helps my VSLs to see patterns.

But, yeah, I hear ya about the tweaking...I'm hoping (and suspecting) that this program won't need much.

I set aside an hour to an hour and a half for kindergarten and it fits fine, even with adding in science/ss. There is LOTS of writing practice scheduled but they are very clear that they have given a lot so you can decide how much your child needs. I am a tweaker and the beauty of this program is that it has the best of both worlds. It gives some suggestions that you are able to add to if you like or not do if you don't. I have used many phonics programs over the years. What I like about this is it is thorough but not overwhelming. You can do more if your child needs to review or if they get it they can move on. Also, they read very early on but give lots of review so it cements what they are learning rather than moving on too quickly. It starts with M then A the they read I am. My son went off and grabbed Green Eggs and Ham and said here is I am. THis is all in week 1 and 2. There is also nature study. In week 2 we went for a walk and were to find a tree to paint and find out what trees are in our area. This went with the book A Tree in Nice. The SS was to draw a simple map of the neighbourhood and use it on the walk. :)

How long does it take with the SS/Science kept in? I LOVE the look of the schedule, but I just don't think I realistically have 4 hours a day.

My kids are almost the same ages as yours - minus the baby! - mine are 15, 12 and 4. Could you shed some light on how you're working Kindy into your day? Right now I "do school" with my 4yo when the others are doing independent work - but it is really hit or miss. I'm a little anxious about next year.

Thanks!

ps - Yes, I know Quiverof10 is looking at this, too! I'm convinced she either has a time machine, *or* she has found the pause button so that she only has to deal with one child at a time - LOL!!! (I'm such a wimp!)

With a busy toddler, it's very busy around here. When he naps I will take that time to do the kindergarten program with my ds. If we don't get it all done I just tick off what boxes that were done and then will do the other the next day. I save the read aloud for bedtime story. Any craft I will have him do while the others are working and I am watching my little one. It's very flexible but structured enough that you don't feel you are missing anything. HTH:)

I have tweaked myself out of too many programs to mention. I really don't think you could do it with this program. They have scheduled enough practice that you wouldn't feel you needed to add more, but you don't have to do it all either.

Also, the enrichment is so flexible that if you are having a busy week and leave it, it's fine, but if you wanted to go further into what the suggested study is, you could do that as well. I have not felt the urge to tweak yet at all!;)

With a busy toddler, it's very busy around here. When he naps I will take that time to do the kindergarten program with my ds. If we don't get it all done I just tick off what boxes that were done and then will do the other the next day. I save the read aloud for bedtime story. Any craft I will have him do while the others are working and I am watching my little one. It's very flexible but structured enough that you don't feel you are missing anything. HTH:)

I am sooooo glad to hear this. In addition to our 4 yo dd, we have a 2.5 yo ds who is basically a holy terror. I am nervous as all get out about actually starting this or any program with our daughter. ;) 4 hours I don't think we can realistically do, but 1-2 hours might be manageable.

One more question I've been meaning to ask you, please - what is the Bible component like? I don't see anything in the sample week that is posted on the Memoria Press website. I believe the program comes with the Children's Golden Bible. Do you simply read through that Bible a little at a time, or is there more?

I do love the Children's Golden Bible and used it many moons ago with my eldest two who were then mid-elementary. But it does seem a bit too advanced, potentially, for a kindergartener. What do you think?

Thanks a million for taking the time to answer our questions. I so appreciate it since this program is brand new, and information is hard to come by!

MominBC, if you can stand another question this morning, let me ask you this:

I see you use one of the HoD programs for an older child. Were you tempted to use the HoD Little Hearts program for kindergarten? What made you pick this Memoria Press program instead?

I ask because I was reasonably sure I wanted to use HoD's Little Hearts for my daughter's kindergarten year. I do like HoD, but certain aspects of LHTH have driven me crazy (mostly the dramatic play and finger rhymes). I now find myself trying to decide between HoD and this new Memoria Press program. It's extremely difficult, too, because I don't know anyone here in Hawaii who has either program, and neither one is likely to show up at our tiny homeschool convention.

I am probably trying your patience at this point, but I would be truly grateful if you could compare the programs for me, based on what you've seen of each. I know I could get them both and tweak them into some combo program - and I still might do that - but I am trying to stick with one program and stop the tweaking, for once. ;)

I am sooooo glad to hear this. In addition to our 4 yo dd, we have a 2.5 yo ds who is basically a holy terror. I am nervous as all get out about actually starting this or any program with our daughter. ;) 4 hours I don't think we can realistically do, but 1-2 hours might be manageable.

One more question I've been meaning to ask you, please - what is the Bible component like? I don't see anything in the sample week that is posted on the Memoria Press website. I believe the program comes with the Children's Golden Bible. Do you simply read through that Bible a little at a time, or is there more?

I do love the Children's Golden Bible and used it many moons ago with my eldest two who were then mid-elementary. But it does seem a bit too advanced, potentially, for a kindergartener. What do you think?

Thanks a million for taking the time to answer our questions. I so appreciate it since this program is brand new, and information is hard to come by!

There isn't a lot of bible reading. There is basically one reading per week and a memory verse with copywork. It is very easy to add in some more bible reading using a children's bible. I will answer this further when answering the next post.:)

Guest aquiverfull

I'm wondering about the phonics. It looks like it advances pretty quickly. They say that students will be reading the books from Story Time Treasures for first grade. Those are books like Story about Ping and Make way for Ducklings.

It is very hard to tell by the samples because they only show the book A for First Start Reading. So I can't really tell how advanced this gets. I'm curious how the phonograms are taught. Are children taught all the three different sounds for a , like short a in apple, long a in acorn, and /ah/ like water? Also the phonogram /ea/ do they teach the 3 sounds like long e in leaf, short e in bread, and long a sound in great? I used BJU k phonics (which is heavy on word families) with my now 11 year old when she was in k and we had to go back and remediate her using Reading Reflex and some ETC. So I see the wisdom in teaching all 72 phonograms now. Which is why I'm wondering what this phonics program is like. Are sight words taught? Does this look like a complete phonics program? I noticed Tanya says that the phonics in 1st grade is the SRA2 workbook for just review.

Thanks!

Edited by aquiverfull
fix typos

MominBC, if you can stand another question this morning, let me ask you this:

I see you use one of the HoD programs for an older child. Were you tempted to use the HoD Little Hearts program for kindergarten? What made you pick this Memoria Press program instead?

I ask because I was reasonably sure I wanted to use HoD's Little Hearts for my daughter's kindergarten year. I do like HoD, but certain aspects of LHTH have driven me crazy (mostly the dramatic play and finger rhymes). I now find myself trying to decide between HoD and this new Memoria Press program. It's extremely difficult, too, because I don't know anyone here in Hawaii who has either program, and neither one is likely to show up at our tiny homeschool convention.

I am probably trying your patience at this point, but I would be truly grateful if you could compare the programs for me, based on what you've seen of each. I know I could get them both and tweak them into some combo program - and I still might do that - but I am trying to stick with one program and stop the tweaking, for once. ;)

I don't mind your questions at all, I totally understand.:) I really like HOD for the older years, my dd loves the notebooking. However, I just could not make it work for my DS (5). With a busy toddler, I have to put the basics first and there is so much hands on stuff in HOD that I couldn't make time for it all and I was frustrated. I love all the bible and if I had 2 little ones around the same age and not so busy I think it would be fun, but trying to make it work on limited time just didn't happen. Of course I think that bible is part of the essentials but having daily bible reading with the memory work from Memoria Press I think is perfect. Memoria puts the important subjects first and so at the end of the day, even if you don't get to science and ss you feel accomplished, where other boxed curriculum puts a lot of emphasis on science and ss too so you have the pressure to do it all. Hope that makes sense. The problem with tweaking programs in my experience is feeling overwhelmed. I have a huge problem with wanting the best of everything and now just using Memoria, I feel so at peace. It's simple, beautiful and at the end of the day feel like my DS is getting a great education. If you have anymore questions...feel free to ask.:001_smile:

I have similar questions as others on the phonics. I've tried finding more samples of their choices online and haven't had much luck. My dd will not need to start at the beginning with reading. She's over half-way through 100 EZ lessons, doing well, but could use more repetition and reinforcement. Like Lynn, I'm trying to decide between HOD's Little Hearts and MP. I'd planned to use CLE for math. I just really like the look of the MP plans and the literature and other extras. It seems like just enough to make me feel like I'm doing something special for her, but not so much that I'll be overwhelmed by it. If anyone knows more specifics about the phonics, or where we can find more online samples I'd love to hear about it!

I don't mind your questions at all, I totally understand.:) I really like HOD for the older years, my dd loves the notebooking. However, I just could not make it work for my DS (5). With a busy toddler, I have to put the basics first and there is so much hands on stuff in HOD that I couldn't make time for it all and I was frustrated. I love all the bible and if I had 2 little ones around the same age and not so busy I think it would be fun, but trying to make it work on limited time just didn't happen. Of course I think that bible is part of the essentials but having daily bible reading with the memory work from Memoria Press I think is perfect. Memoria puts the important subjects first and so at the end of the day, even if you don't get to science and ss you feel accomplished, where other boxed curriculum puts a lot of emphasis on science and ss too so you have the pressure to do it all. Hope that makes sense. The problem with tweaking programs in my experience is feeling overwhelmed. I have a huge problem with wanting the best of everything and now just using Memoria, I feel so at peace. It's simple, beautiful and at the end of the day feel like my DS is getting a great education. If you have anymore questions...feel free to ask.:001_smile:

Oh, bless you for answering my questions! :grouphug: I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

The bolded part above? I could have written it word for word. That's why I'm trying to "force" myself into choosing one good program and sticking with it. In my case, "perfect" is definitely the enemy of "good".

So, did you try using HoD with your 5 yo? Was it Little Hearts? Or did you just consider it and have a good sense that it wouldn't work for your family?

It's ironic, isn't it? The HoD program is supposed to take (I think) 60-90 minutes daily, and the Memoria Press program is supposed to take up to 4 hours. But I too am easily overwhelmed by the hands-on projects, even though they're supposed to be so simple and easy to implement. So in many ways, Memoria Press actually seems easier to use, from what I've seen.

I have similar questions as others on the phonics. I've tried finding more samples of their choices online and haven't had much luck. My dd will not need to start at the beginning with reading. She's over half-way through 100 EZ lessons, doing well, but could use more repetition and reinforcement. Like Lynn, I'm trying to decide between HOD's Little Hearts and MP. I'd planned to use CLE for math. I just really like the look of the MP plans and the literature and other extras. It seems like just enough to make me feel like I'm doing something special for her, but not so much that I'll be overwhelmed by it. If anyone knows more specifics about the phonics, or where we can find more online samples I'd love to hear about it!

What specifically would you like to know? There will definitely be quite a bit of review for you, as it is for us, but you don't have to do it all and you can move a bit faster in the beginning. It your dd hasn't completed a lot of handwriting, you could use those first few weeks to really work on that while reviewing. I like it because it really cements the reading skills with a lot of practice and because it gets them reading right away my ds didn't feel bored. The final reader uses long vowels and words ending in s,x,z,ch and sh is the final word mastery. Some of the sight words on the dictation "test" are- are, they, said, was,come,see,she,you,there,does,oh as well as short vowel words. Let me know if you would like to know anything else.:)

I too really like what I see. When I found out about the 30 story books added in, almost along the lines of FIAR, I was in love! ;) It seems like a great combo of hitting the basics in a solid, methodical way . . . but also adding in the great literature that I always loved so much about Sonlight. It just seems like an extremely balanced year.

Good luck to you as you decide between the two programs! I know it's driving me almost crazy! :D

Oh, bless you for answering my questions! :grouphug: I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

The bolded part above? I could have written it word for word. That's why I'm trying to "force" myself into choosing one good program and sticking with it. In my case, "perfect" is definitely the enemy of "good".

So, did you try using HoD with your 5 yo? Was it Little Hearts? Or did you just consider it and have a good sense that it wouldn't work for your family?

It's ironic, isn't it? The HoD program is supposed to take (I think) 60-90 minutes daily, and the Memoria Press program is supposed to take up to 4 hours. But I too am easily overwhelmed by the hands-on projects, even though they're supposed to be so simple and easy to implement. So in many ways, Memoria Press actually seems easier to use, from what I've seen.

Yes, it does seem ironic. I did try HOD LGFHG and I just couldn't get it all done. I was also using McRuffy phonics and math for the first time. I have used different programs for all my kids because I just never found a fit. I always tried to do too much and always got frustrated, especially because I could set the pace and I always went too fast.:tongue_smilie: With MP I feel like I can rest in the schedule knowing my ds is getting a great education and grounded in the fundamentals. I have listed that we do Winterpromise animals as well but that is really losely done. We did it a couple of years ago with me dd with my then 3 year old listening in and he said he wanted to learn about animals so I brought out the old books and read a bit before bed sometimes. That's all there is time for in my busy life.;)

You can see a couple of samples from the American Language Series readers on RR. It's not much, though. The first page is from the first book, sample page 2 is from the second book, and page 3 is from the third book--the only three used in the program. These books are actually quite full, running about 170-175 pages per book, and as you can see from the samples, quite lovely. The first book covers simple short vowels, the second covers consonant clusters, the third covers the silent 'E.'

There are samples of the primary phonics storybooks on CBD. Here is a link to the second set, and you can click on excerpt to see the inside.

A quote from the back of the Teacher's Manual:

First Start Reading focuses on 3 important skills:

1. Pencil grip & correct letter formation

2. Mastering one sound for each consonant and vowel first

3. Mastering short vowel sounds, 3-letter words, and 45 common words

FSR teaches vowel/consonant blending and word families, eliminating the need for most phonics rules. Your child will learn by blending, tracing, and printing words. Most students begin reading sentences in the very first lesson!...

The "45 common words" are the sight words that are taught.

I should say that FSR is only ONE component of a much larger phonics program, whose components are all integrated within the K curriculum guide. There is not a lot of hand-holding given in the teacher's reading guide at all, if one was to want to do JUST the FSR. The entire phonics program as listed in the curriculum guide is: First Start Reading, SRA Phonics I, American Language Series readers, Primary Phonics Readers, Word Mastery, Christian Liberty Nature Reader Book K, Animal Alphabet Coloring Book. All of these books are woven together as you can see in the sample week in the Curriculum Guide. FSR is the base around which the other books are scheduled. For instance, as you can see in the sample, FSR starts with the letter M, so when SRA is scheduled, you do p. 19 on Tuesday (the introduction to the letter M), and then skip to page 43 and 44 on Wed and Thur (the letter M follow-up pages.) Then in week 2, some of the readers and the coloring book start getting scheduled, and then Word Mastery begins in Week 9.

The set includes the Golden Children's Bible, but when I looked at the sample page I did not see it scheduled for that week. Is it introduced later? Or is it just read a story a day kind of thing? Sorry. I just couldn't figure it out.

It's scheduled for Mondays to go along with the Copybook time, which uses Scripture. It starts being scheduled in Week 3. So in the sample shown at the link, on Monday you would introduce the verse, read it from a Bible, and then use the Golden Children's Bible to read the context of the verse.

You would go on later in the week to study the verse and unfamiliar words, grammar, punctuation; memorize the verse; copy the verse; proofread and correct; illustrate; then review all verses. These same verses will be reviewed again in the Christian Studies Books used in 3rd-5th grade.

Well, I just placed my order. I got tired of waffling between this, CLE, R&S and making my own up thing. So I just did it so I can stop thinking about it. And it looks like the more advanced part of the phonics/reading will even work with my 1st grade DS right now. I know that my DH will be very happy that I made up my mind so I'll stop talking about it and driving him crazy.:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I just placed my order. I got tired of waffling between this, CLE, R&S and making my own up thing. So I just did it so I can stop thinking about it. And it looks like the more advanced part of the phonics/reading will even work with my 1st grade DS right now. I know that my DH will be very happy that I made up my mind so I'll stop talking about it and driving him crazy.:lol::lol::lol:

:hurray:How exciting. I am sure you wil love it as much as I do!

:lol: Are you sure you're not talking about my house? I was stressing out (and stressing poor dh out!) trying to decide between MP K, CLE LTR, the American Language Series, and doing my own poor piecemeal K/1st. It felt really good just to finally make the decision!

:lol: Are you sure you're not talking about my house? I was stressing out (and stressing poor dh out!) trying to decide between MP K, CLE LTR, the American Language Series, and doing my own poor piecemeal K/1st. It felt really good just to finally make the decision!

LOL! Glad to know I'm not the only one who agonizes over this stuff. I thought it's just because I'm a newbie to HSing--this is my first year. My DH told me I needed to take a month off from looking at anything to do with curriculum. I really tried, I took 2 whole weeks off, but then I started planning out the month of February for school and realized my DD's MFW-K program would be done in March so I HAD to find something new for her. I just HAD to! :tongue_smilie:

It did give me a huge sense of relief once I clicked on that "place order" button. Decision made, no more thinking about curriculum until March or April when I try to decide what to do with my DS. I'm hoping I love MP so I can go ahead and get their 1st or 2nd grade package.

:lol:I was doing the same thing. I placed my order over the weekend and can't wait for it to arrive. Every time somebody posts, I become more and more excited. I also love the fact that Bible isn't everyday because I always end up doing my own thing with Bible anyway. I believe this curriculum the freedom I am looking for, but also the structure I crave.:001_smile:

Guest aquiverfull

Thank you mommahawk for telling us more about the First Start Reading and the other phonics pieces in this program. I'm no phonics expert by far, I only know what worked with my older dd and what did not. I'm kinda leary of word families now and programs that teach sight words, so I'll have to think some more on this. I do agree with teaching vowel-consonant blends over consonant vowel because I agree with you, ba should be a long a. :) I'll be needing to teach 3 more children to read eventually and one is really ready now. I like the Orton gillingham way of teaching reading. Reading Reflex was based on that, but my dd really likes workbooks which is the reason I was looking for more.

Thanks again.

Thank you mommahawk for telling us more about the First Start Reading and the other phonics pieces in this program. I'm no phonics expert by far, I only know what worked with my older dd and what did not. I'm kinda leary of word families now and programs that teach sight words, so I'll have to think some more on this. I do agree with teaching vowel-consonant blends over consonant vowel because I agree with you, ba should be a long a. :) I'll be needing to teach 3 more children to read eventually and one is really ready now. I like the Orton gillingham way of teaching reading. Reading Reflex was based on that, but my dd really likes workbooks which is the reason I was looking for more.

Thanks again.

Have you looked at the Phonics Road? It's a complete LA program based on Spalding. I'm going to go ahead an teach my dd all 72 phonograms, so when I do arrive at a sight word, we will be prepared to learn it phonetically. I also have The Phonics Road ready to begin with her in 1st grade. I'm not sure about word families as I have never taught with them, so the jury is out for me. Why don't you like them?

Guest aquiverfull

No, I haven't looked into the phonics road. I'll do some research on it. Thanks. It's been a while since I taught phonics and can't remember a lot of it. I guess I wasn't really clear earlier. I'm not sure word families are all that bad. I think it encouraged guessing in my dd. Mainly I think it was the way BJU presented the material. There was a real problem with word families in BJU spelling. When we used it my dd could do fine on the tests, but didn't know how to spell those words outside of that program. I think it was because the word families used were just teaching her to replace the first letter and wasn't actually teaching her to really learn how to spell the words. It could have been an issue with my dd. The program may work fine for other children.

Here's a thread about word families and other phonics things if you are interested. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80680

ETA: Well after reading that thread I see that it might be considered back end phonics that MP is teaching when they teach Vowel-consonant blends. SO now I'm utterly confused as to which one is better.

Edited by aquiverfull

No, I haven't heard of the phonics road. I'll do some research on it. Thanks. It's been a while since I taught phonics and can't remember a lot of it. I guess I wasn't really clear earlier. I'm not sure word families are all that bad. I think it encouraged guessing in my dd. However, there are some word families in Reading Reflex. Mainly I think it was the way BJU presented the material. There was a real problem with word families in BJU spelling. When we used it my dd could do fine on the tests, but didn't know how to spell those words outside of that program. I think it was because the word families used were just teaching her to replace the first letter and wasn't actually teaching her to really learn how to spell the words. It could have been an issue with my dd. The program may work fine for other children.

I used The Abeka Handbook for Reading with the 1st grade readers to teach my ds to read in the first half of 1st grade, and he progressed quite nicely. Then I made the mistake of my life and put him in a christian school mid-year. They used BJU. He started guessing at words and actually digressed in his decoding skills. In 2nd grade, they switched to Veritas Press materials and quit phonics instruction altogether. He was left with gaps galore! By the middle of 3rd, I pulled him out. I have been remediating him for the past year. I taught him the 72 phonograms along with using Webster's Speller. He is progressing quite nicely once again. I HATE the way BJU teaches reading!!!!! I just never realized why until you enlightened me!

Edited by momofabcd

Guest aquiverfull

Yes, I know BJU really created some stumbling blocks with my dds reading.

Did you see what I added above?

I don't know. It's been so long since I looked at the BJU stuff. Does MP seem to do the word families the same as BJU did?

Edited by aquiverfull

Guest aquiverfull

Ok, I'm quoting here, since she said it better than I could:

Razorbackmama said,

"Well today it hit me - that's because BJU taught them to start at the END of the syllable to figure out what sort of vowel sound it will have. That does have SOME merit, but combining it with the whole word family approach where the child will read "at" and then "cat mat rat sat" - they aren't really sounding out anything - they are just glancing at the beginning letter and changing the word a bit. "

This is from that thread I linked above. So does MP's phonics do that?

Thanks!

Edited by aquiverfull