Menu

Stay with MP Latin series or switch (maybe LfC)???

arcara

My oldest dd is in 4th grade this year and she's on Lesson 14 of LC1. She's doing just fine with it, but she's a person who really likes languages. The natural progression for her would FF, but it's kind of a question mark for me, being a new program without a track record. I first chose MP Latin (she did PL last year) because it was recommended in TWTM. Some people have said that they really like Latin Prep, but she has been sucessful with LC, so maybe she should just stay the course. My main gripe about LC is the length of DVD lessons.

I'm more concerned about her younger sister, who will be in 3rd grade next and will begin latin. She's not so much into languages. She's the artsy, hands-on type, and I think she's going to need a more enjoyable program than LC. I'm worried that she's REALLY going to protest after the 1st LC lesson. I've heard LfC is more enjoyable???

I'd love a program that I could just stick with for all the kids! What would you do??

I guess it's not what you wanted, but my artsy dd is LOVING the L'art de L're (Nallenart) program. It's *so* easy to implement, I can't believe people haven't been slobbering over it around here. I mean it's CRAZY easy. You hand the kid the stuff. They punch the cd, listen to the lady read the lesson, and pause to repeat or write in their book. It has little things you draw, artsy stuff, etc. It's humorous, whitty. She's just totally clicking with it. So if you want a sidestep for your artsy dd, you could do french now and pursue latin with her later. :)

And yes, Latin Prep is the ultimate for a language-savy kid. First Form is fine, but I like the emphasis on translation and getting them READING in Latin Prep. Reading is what a language kid wants to do, not just sit around conjugating in some bubble. They want to see how it all comes together! LP does that. Check it out.

My oldest dd is in 4th grade this year and she's on Lesson 14 of LC1. She's doing just fine with it, but she's a person who really likes languages. The natural progression for her would FF, but it's kind of a question mark for me, being a new program without a track record. I first chose MP Latin (she did PL last year) because it was recommended in TWTM. Some people have said that they really like Latin Prep, but she has been sucessful with LC, so maybe she should just stay the course. My main gripe about LC is the length of DVD lessons.

I'm more concerned about her younger sister, who will be in 3rd grade next and will begin latin. She's not so much into languages. She's the artsy, hands-on type, and I think she's going to need a more enjoyable program than LC. I'm worried that she's REALLY going to protest after the 1st LC lesson. I've heard LfC is more enjoyable???

I'd love a program that I could just stick with for all the kids! What would you do??

I can only share my limited experience.

My kids started Latin with Prima Latina. It did the job. Honestly, it sparked their interest in Latin. But, since we are being honest, my kids are completely ridiculous. They love all things silly. (I am somewhat proud of this and hope it develops into a love of Coen Brothers' films.) I switched to LfC. I am so glad I did. They anxiously await another installment of "How the West was Onus." The instructor (I am horrid with names and have no clue what this dude's name is) is sufficiently silly for them. They LOVE the activity book. We will soon add the history reader. I do love this program. I cannot compare it to LC, so I may be of no help. But, for my silly, ridiculous kids, LfC is a winner.