Menu

Easy recipes for 7-year-old

Guest Amy in MS

Guest Amy in MS

Hi, all.

My 7-year-old is now "doing lunch" on Tuesdays. This last week, she made a quiche, and I think she'll spend a couple more weeks working on that, but I'd like a couple more quick'n'easy recipes that she can do, mostly on her own for the main part of our Tuesday lunches.

What do you suggest?

I look forward to the many, Many Brilliant Responses!

:bigear:

Amy

The book Kids Cook 1-2-3 has a ton of delightfully simple (yet pretty good) recipes for children. Ds *loves* it and has used post-it flags to mark his up all over. Each recipe calls for only three ingredients (though sometimes these are ingredients that could be made of others -- for instance, pesto, which could be bought ready-made, or you could teach your child to make his/her own, or perhaps a pie crust, etc), so it's easy for a child to figure out if they have what they need and if they're likely to enjoy the final product. Sometimes we discuss and make the "could be store-bought" ingredients, and sometimes not.

It's a beautiful book too -- no photographs, only drawings, but still very appealing to kids and adults alike.

How about "breakfast for lunch": pancakes and/ or french toast

She could learn to make a quick bread (zucchini or banana) and then use those to make sandwiches (banana bread and peanut butter sandwiches are good!) or she could have the quick bread with a salad.

Burrito? With home-made salsa or guacamole?

Sorry I didn't post recipes for these but they're pretty basic. If you don't have them in your trusty cookbooks I'll post by request. :lurk5:

Hi, all.

My 7-year-old is now "doing lunch" on Tuesdays. This last week, she made a quiche, and I think she'll spend a couple more weeks working on that, but I'd like a couple more quick'n'easy recipes that she can do, mostly on her own for the main part of our Tuesday lunches.

What do you suggest?

I look forward to the many, Many Brilliant Responses!

:bigear:

Amy

Usborne has lots of kids cookbooks. Easy recipes and step-by-step pictures/illustrations...and most ingredients are things you have on hand.

Brigitte