Menu

Who's doing Picture Studies? How do you do them?

birchbark

My children are much younger than your older son, so I'm not sure how applicable this is, but here's what we do:

* When we visit art museums, we try to pick out one thing to focus on. For example, we might encourage the children to examine several Monet paintings, or a group of related works by different artists.

* Either at a museum or using reproductions, we play games like, "OK, I see five cows in this picture, can you find them?" The child also gets a turn to pick something out of the picture and ask if we can find it. Either way, they're looking at the picture!

* I sometimes facilitate an art project using similar techniques to those used in a specific artwork.

We are doing picture study this year. I bought some Dover art postcards for a few artists that I thought we might like. I also use prints that I find in art books at the library. With the books, I open to a page that has a fine art I'd like us to study, and I put the open book in a frame holder (I guess that's what you call it--it's like a little easel that would normally hold a picture frame). The point of all that is to make the art work visible to my dc as they go throughout the day. I would display the work on Monday, so the kids can casually view it all week.

On Friday, we all gather together, and I have them study intensely the picture for a few minutes. Then, I hide the picture, and ask one child to narrate what they remember seeing in the picture. Once the child has said all he/she remembers, the other children chime in with details the one child might have forgotten.

That's pretty much it. Sometimes I find a project that we can do "in the style" of the painter/artist, and one time I asked the kids to paint the same picture we had just studied in order to increase their powers of observation. They were mad about that assignment, but they did a great job and actually enjoyed it and were very proud of themselves when they finished. I think it was a self portrait of Van Gogh that I had them reproduce.

I have some more visual examples on my blog if you click on "art" on my left sidebar. Both of my blogs have some art that we've done on them.

We're using Artistic Pursuits, they do picture study and an art project afterwards.

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/a4-6.htm

I'm sure this isn't what you were thinking of, but we do Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl and they have picture study as well.

If you look inside the book on Amazon you can see some of the picture study pages:

http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Language-Lessons-Emma-Serl/dp/0965273512

I started doing picture studies with Queen's Language Lessons. SHe has them scattered through her books. I also use her Pictures in Cursive and that has great pictures for study. Other than that, I use books from the library or books I have purchased from the bargain section of Barnes and Nobles. Sometimes I look at examples online through the Met Art Gallery.

We look at the picture and ask questions like:

who is in this picture

what are they doing

what relationship are they to each other

are there any animals

what time period do you think this is and why

what time of day is it

what do you think they are feeling (or saying or thinking)

what do you think happened just before this picture was "taken"

what do you think will happen next

Edited by HollyDay
hit reply button before finished

Does your library by any chance have any of the Come Look With Me books? I love, love them for simple, straight-forward picture study. Each book has about 12 works of art, and each has a two-page spread. One page is a reproduction, the other page has a few thought-provoking questions as well as a brief story about the artist.

Here's an Amazon link to one, though there are many in the series: http://www.amazon.com/Come-Look-Me-Exploring-Landscape/dp/0934738955. Even if your library doesn't have them, at $12 or so, they're not a hefty investment.

I like this site for youngers.

http://www.gardenofpraise.com/art.htm

We cover one artist at a time and look at pictures online. I use one of the pictures as my desktop on the computer, as it is within site all throughout the day.

:iagree: LOVE this site. It's how we "do" art appreciation. If you want to get some great prints to just hang on the walls, Ambleside Online groups have some great ones. They have one yahoo group that has a ton of great art prints that you can print out or have kinkos/staples/etc. print for you. Let me know if you want the link to the group and I'll dig it up.