Menu

Grammar Voyage or Magic Lens?

HollyDay

Grammar Voyage is for grades 5 and 6

Magic Lens 6-9

So, what do I want to use for my 6th grader? She found GWG too easy (and therefore boring). She did okay in Abeka 5. Her ability to do the work was no problem. The amount of busy work was overkill. I am not sure I want to pay $$ for another Abeka type program when we will not use the writing portion or all the repetition. MCT looks great. But, where to place her?

From an MCT newbie and enthusiastic convert:

Voyage if her LA is very strong already. Town if not terribly strong already. Save Magic Lens for next year.

I do think it is a good idea to look at the writing book for ideas about what they're working on. . . Voyage is working on all sorts of essays. . . Magic Lens is working on MLA research papers. . .

Call the publisher if you want more insightful guidance. I found them very helpful in my brief conversation. . .

Based on a conversation with RFWP, I decided to purchase the Town level for my son (6th grade/11.5yo). He is fairly strong in grammar but writing and vocab are a struggle for him. Basically, the grammar has been a review for us but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I was told by the gentleman that I spoke with on the phone that there is quite a jump from the town to the voyage level with regard to the writing. That is specifically why I chose the Town level. I am still using R&S6 alongside it because I already had it, I am a chicken to let it go and we do it all orally so it only takes us about 15 minutes to complete.